Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

saying goodbye to mans best friend......

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post think positive & one very close to everyone's heart.
On the weekend my wife & I picked up 2 little boxer puppies.
It was over 12 months ago that we had to put our retired greyound George down. He was 12 years old & the local vet diagnosed him with arthritis. We tried all sorts of things to treat him including bringing in medicine from the USA. But I think the vet got it wrong & we suspect bone cancer. My wife & I were inconsoulable for a long time & just couldn't think about another dog. Time heals & we discussed it lately that we were ready to let a dog or dogs own us again;) I'm not going to think about what happens when they get old, I'm just going to enjoy every minute of them while they are here..
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:22 pm

woftam wrote:
It was over 12 months ago that we had to put our retired greyound George down. He was 12 years old & the local vet diagnosed him with arthritis. We tried all sorts of things to treat him including bringing in medicine from the USA. But I think the vet got it wrong & we suspect bone cancer. My wife & I were inconsoulable for a long time & just couldn't think about another dog. Time heals & we discussed it lately that we were ready to let a dog or dogs own us again;) I'm not going to think about what happens when they get old, I'm just going to enjoy every minute of them while they are here..

You are going to have your hands full. Boxers can be very energetic. My wife I I had a Boxer called Bandit for 13 years prior to Toby as detailed above. At times he was more human than dog. He was a wonderful pet and friend. He had an uncanny effect of interpreting your moods and acting accordingly. Against my wishes he slept at the end of my daughters bed every night.

We cannot live without a dog in the house. Without a dog we get the sense that something is missing. It will not be long until we find a new friend to adopt.

Congratulation and enjoy your new family members.

cooldewd Sagittarius

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Cindy
Blackie
Samson
Kingy
Sheila (1)
Kaiser
Sheila (2)

These are the German Shepherds that have been in my life. My mum and dad adore German Shephards and we regularly had them two at a time guarding our house and keeping us company.

Sheila (2) was only four when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few years ago and mum and dad reluctantly had her put down to end her suffering. Broke our hearts.

Mum and dad are in their late seventies now and they feel that Shiela (2) will be their last dog in their lives.

I might just buy them another one as I am sure it will make them smile.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 pm

woftam wrote:

thankyou,

im glad you were ready to take that step again, everyone needs love in their lives, puppy love that is!!

enjoy

and post a pic, boxers are such cute puppies!!

jojoXX

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Hurricane wrote:
I lost my little black cat Tabby 2 weeks ago tomorrow. She was the most important thing to me in the whole world. She was 16, I knew it was coming for a while as she had been losing weight and showing signs of kidney disease. I was so scared to lose her, I was grieving for her a long time before she went as I knew it would be so painful. She stopped eating in her last couple if weeks and I could tell in her eyes that it was time. I never wanted to make the decision to put her to sleep but I could never let her suffer. I will still always wonder if I did it at the right time...I'm crying now just thinking about her. I love my little tab so much she was such a little character Sad

stop wondering, you did the right thing when She told you She was ready - She was probably making sure youwere ready too! You did the right thing, the brave thing, the selfless thing....

noone wants to have to make the decision, but the cruelest thing you can do is keep them alive, suffering, because you dont want the pain, ive seen it too many times, you have to love them enough to let go

Chloe is sitting at my feet right now, in her basket, comfortable and peaceful. i intend to make every minute count,

thankyou to everyone for taking this post the way you have, some of my friends think im crazy for the way i baby my dogs, but i just love them

bless you all

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:54 pm

cooldewd wrote:
Cindy
Blackie
Samson
Kingy
Sheila (1)
Kaiser
Sheila (2)

These are the German Shepherds that have been in my life. My mum and dad adore German Shephards and we regularly had them two at a time guarding our house and keeping us company.

Sheila (2) was only four when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few years ago and mum and dad reluctantly had her put down to end her suffering. Broke our hearts.

Mum and dad are in their late seventies now and they feel that Shiela (2) will be their last dog in their lives.

I might just buy them another one as I am sure it will make them smile.

4 is very young, thats so sad......

i think a new dog is a great idea...give them a new lease of life

my mums name is Shiela! drove her nuts when we came to oz and everyone was calling females shiela's!!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Smile I hope you get your money's worth.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 pm

I like the sentiments in this thread. I'm not a cat person, don't like them, never have, but I've always had dogs.

Growing up in the bush, dogs to me were not house pets. I never have had animals in the house (some teenagers excepted) they live outside.

That doesn't lessen the connection though. When I was 3, me and Lucy the old Black Lab used to dig under the fence and go walkies for blocks away from the house. She had her spot right beside me and woe betide anyone who had bad intentions.

I've buried a few over the years, and each of them has a special place in my heart.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:11 am

i like the sound of Lucy!

can picture you in overalls on a dusty road!!

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:41 pm

My kind thoughts to the animal lovers in the Magpie fraternity. We lost our last cat in late 2008. She was just shy of 21 and comfortably outlived her own kids and grandkids. We decided to not have any more pets, it's just too heartbreakingly painful.

Of course with no pets and a big backyard we get a lot of birds. There's two crested pigeons smooching up together in the grass as I type !! Awwwwww.

Arch@M32 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:41 pm

It is a painful subject losing a friend and family member but there are things that will now need to be contemplated. The one contemplation i wish to raise is aquiring a new companion.
A few things to think of in that respect.

1. We are guardians of our companion animals not owners.
2. When we purchase from a pet shop or dealer we condemn other animals to die and encourage the spread of "puppy farms" which supply most of Victoria's pet trade.
3. If we find our new companion at an animal rescue shelter we save a life.

My heart goes out to all that have lost a companion but if taking it upon oneself to find another please save a life rather than encouraging an industry that treats animals purely as an expendable commodity.
EBB 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:11 am

I lost my best friend last year. I knew that night he was going - so I made a bed next to mine and watched him for hr's, then he took a few last DEEP breaths, then nothing, it was over. He is finally in peace and suffers no more cancer and pain.

Sometimes I have dreams where we're just 'hanging out' and those dreams seem so real. I have absolutely no doubt we'll meet again....

I don't look at photos of him (personal choice), I've many fond memories and that's plenty for me.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:44 am

EBB wrote:
I lost my best friend last year. I knew that night he was going - so I made a bed next to mine and watched him for hr's, then he took a few last DEEP breaths, then nothing, it was over. He is finally in peace and suffers no more cancer and pain.

Sometimes I have dreams where we're just 'hanging out' and those dreams seem so real. I have absolutely no doubt we'll meet again....

I don't look at photos of him (personal choice), I've many fond memories and that's plenty for me.

i know what you mean about the dreams - i wake up and cant believe my horse Clyde is not still running around - i have that dream every now and again, usually when i need a friend...
for that quick moment when i wake up he's still my boy, then i remember...

but its still worth it

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm

This afternoon,
after a good feed of chocolate self saucing pudding,
Chloe past away peacefully in my arms,
surrounded by her loved ones, my girls were so brave....

Rest in peace my sweet baby,
No more pain,
I,ll see you on Rainbow Bridge
love always, mumX

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Condolences TP. Very sad. I don't like having pets for the reason for this thread. However I now have a bootiful baby boy - only 9 years dog 3/4 standard poodle & 1/4 labrador. Also have two cats - both female the second from my in laws.

We have a proverbial pet cemetery in our front yard amongst the roses.

Anyway, be well over the loss of your other familiy member.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: