Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies to play home games in SYDNEY?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpiefanatic 

Aged Pensioner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:22 pm
Post subject: Pies to play home games in SYDNEY?Reply with quote

What does everyone think of the possibility as in this story of Collingwood playing home games in Sydney.

Sydney Telegraph Mirror Friday Jan 31
Quote:
MAGPIES PREPARE TO SWOOP IN SYDNEY

Eddie McGuire and the Collingwood Football Club are heading to Sydney to stake a claim as the city's second AFL team. The Collingwood president said yesterday, Sydney's Western suburbs were ripe for for a new club that played "exciting football".
And the Magpies have received tentative support from the Sydney Swans. Swans officials admit they have invested an enormous amount of time and money developing the game in western Sydney. But they will welcome anone else willing to help promote AFL.
Mcguire claims Collingwood are Australia's most recognised football club and will show Sydney foorball fans "what it's all about". But Mcguire is adamant that the Magpies are "not there to steal Swans supporters"
"Collingwood really sees itself as being the the only club with Australia-wide appeal in the AFL and the biggest team in the AFL. We play the most exciting football, draw the biggest crowds and we think people in Sydney are ready for us" McGuire says that Collingwood would bring 10000 Victorian fans to a Sydney game and inject a significant amount of money into the economy. "If you 've got a stadium like Telstra Stadium you need the biggest drawcard to fill it and that is Collingwood." Mcguire said. "We want to show our bona fides this year and play more games and have a bigger presence in Sydney, particular western Sydney."
Swans chairman Richard Colless said yesterday that while he thought McGuire had an "inflated view of Collingwood's significance", the Victorian club might be the only team capable of of playing a home game in Sydney. "I think they are better placed than any other AFL club to succeed."
While the Kangaroos AFL-funded foray into the Sydney market failed, McGuire thinks his side will succeed because " we are doing it because we want to rather than we have to."
But there is a history of bad blood between the Swans and Collingwood. Colless said he admired what McGuire has done for Collingwood and denied any rift with the Melbourne Club and its administration. But he had several swipes at the club in recent times, inluding labelling coach Mick Malthouse a 'hypocrite" and flipping the bird to McGuire on the TV program Four Corners.
Relations degenerated more recently when Collingwood player Nick Davis told the club he wanted to return to his home town and play for Sydney.

Rod
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's the annual "Pies to play home games in Sydney" rumour.

Daily Telegraph, hey?

Nice reputable source ... NOT.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:32 am

Ed played this game a year or 2 ago as well and we didn't end up going there. I think it's just to drum up our membership numbers in sydney. Nothing would piss Sydney off more than having the same number of supporters as them at a game in sydney.

We will never move up there....never. We are too strong in Melbourne. I think this is one way we are trying to stick it up the Sydney football club.

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:33 am

Sorry, I mean "Telgraph-Mirror".

They must have merged ... two gutter rags ... merged.
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:39 am

Lol no way do i want home games there!!

I go to every home game in melbourne and that would limit my footy! THATS NOT FAIR! lolz
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan~* *~Jarrod 4 Copeland 2003!~*

My SoNg Of ThE wEeK

"Lonely rivers flow 2 the sea, 2 the sea, 2 the open arms of the sea yeah, Lonely rivers side, Wait 4 me, Wait 4 me, I'll be coming home, Wait 4 me, Oh my luv, my darlin, I've hungered, hungered, 4 ur touch, A long lonely time"
*Unchained Melody- The Righteous Brothers*
One Of The Best Days Of My Life- December 17th, 2002! I love you Jarrod Molloy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:11 am

I think playing homes there would not be a good idea. Its all well and good to chase a bigger piece of the pie. However they shouldnt forget about the pie that they already have. (no pun intended)

Pre Season games maybe would be ok. However when it comes to the home and away games the Melbourne based Collingwood supporters should come first. Afterall when times are tough and they need money who are they going to turn to?? The Western Suburbs of Sydney or the Loyal Collingwood supporters in Melbourne??

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:06 am

yeah its not like we need money, it aint gunna happen, and i think we all know that!

footy ROX!
Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:17 am

Why is every one surprised to hear we might be playing home games in Sydney?
We already play our home games against st kilda and the roos at their home grounds.
The only difference the game cost 3 or 4 hundred dollars mpore than usual, surely we can all afford this small extra cost to our seasons expenses.
(please note; tounge planted firmly in cheek as I write)

I suppose the AFL will finaly be happy when we play in front of the chardonnay set with all true supporters stuck in Melbourne watching it on the ratings machine.

COLLINGWOOD RULES no one else matters!!!!!!!!

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:59 am

Why not have a home game at Stadium Australia at least with the PIES there they would fill it for ONE game and not take a NRL double header to get the max crowd.
I recon that it would be fantasic.Having been to S.A. on a couple of occasions (before my injury) the atmosphere is magnificent and to have the PIES playing there would be a 'GOLD MINE' of an idea.
Dr.Alf,dont worry about the story in the Daily Teleegraph,which was written in Melbourne by Peter Lalor,the Telegraph-Mirror died 5 years ago.Any way Lalor says that he knows all,so ask him.
Its amazing how many SPORTS people rely on the Telegraph for info.

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002.
We missed 2002 but theres always 2003
MarkT 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:42 am

More than happy to play away games there or anywhere else. Home games at home please. FFS we should play 11 home games at the G. That is our home ground.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:51 am

yeh piss off we dont want to play in sydney the shithole.

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:52 am

CQ you mild mannered MEXICAN....At least we have a better stadium than you.
At least the weather is better here than there.
Gee there are so many better things here in Sydney than Mexico.
Where could you get a crowd of upwards of 70,000 to a home game OUTSIDE on Mexico.....Sydney of course.
Wake up man.Have you ever been up here.
I left Mexico 30 years ago to come up to Sydney....best move I ever made.
I realise that CQ means 'seeking you' but we arent seeking you up here.

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002.
We missed 2002 but theres always 2003
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:04 am

Peter. Better stadium? And where would you be hiding that?
Having been to the Bee Gees, and 3 Olympic Game sessions at SA, I have no doubt that the "G" beats SA for atmosphere each and every time.
Now the G has some older sections, but that is being addressed as we speak.
As for Pies playing home games in Sydney, as long as we don't have to get there by train I suppose we could. Remember though, unlike the poorer clubs, aints, hawks, pauperoos, dees etc, we do not have to go all over Oz for money. If we did play a home game in sydney, or brisvegas, it would only really be a reward for all the faithfull interstste members.
-Craig

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:22 am

MCG is the greatest football ground in the world! wait until its all southern stand! it'll be awesome

footy ROX!
Get Smart 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:55 pm

Gee,
You Victorians are a sensitive lot.
Don't be so bloody selfish. Why can't Collingwood play a home game in Sydney? Say against Sydney. That way us Sydneyites can piss off Nick Davis even more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: