Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Sydney 5/2

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Get Smart 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:38 pm
Post subject: Training Sydney 5/2Reply with quote

Here I go a quick report on Training in Sydney.
Hot day in Sydney, I had to either get close and brave the hot sun or sit further away in the coolness of the shade. Well with my 3 sons with me I chose the shade.
Team came out at 4:25, short jog around ground and then stretches and warm-up in the shade. Other side of ground, too far to see much.
First half training there was a main group, consisting of most of squad. Simple training drills.
pick-ups
bounces
dribbling soccer style
run and bounce
short handballs short kicks.

Handball drills and simple kicking drills.

End to end starting with contesting from kick-in from goal square to kicking a goal at other end. Most players participated.
I thought Burnsey looked impressive. Also young kid with blond mop hair looked quite pacey. Not sure who he was, maybe King.Task was attempted on both sides of cricket pitch as the pitch was cordined off.

They then separated into 3 groups.
Group 1- roll, handpass, leadfrom goal square.
handball , return kick for goal.
Group 2- 2 teams run in 2's long kick 2 handballs.
Hit-outs/clearances
Josh and Stunning to contest ball ups or boundary throws. 6 pairs of players on the ground-2 receivers.
Group 3-contest, kick-out with marker from back-pocket across ground to lead.( With Neil Balme)
Kick-contest.

Notable non-inclusion was Rocca who spent much time kicking for goal. Also Lockyer spent time with a trainer trying to improve reaction to the ball coming back at him.
Main group of players came over to spectators to sign autographs--Bucks,Richo,Dids, Molloy, Jimmy, Freeborn, Rupert, OB, Stunning, Wakes, Burnsey, Lica, Tarks, Josh, Benny, Cloke, Presti, Lones, Cole, Williams and Woey.
Bucks, Licka and Josh spent most time with crowd talking, signing autographs, photographs etc.

Then big media fun. Guy from the FAT (ABC), don't know his name, the bloody St Kilda lover was mucking around skipping with the above mentioned players and then with MM. Probably be on The FAT next Friday Night. Tune in should be good.
Well that was my first Collingwood Training afternoon. Hope you make sense of my report.
Get Smart/Get Smart 86

Millane42 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hot day - players trained soldily throughout from 4:25 to 5:45. Woey and Bucks were obvious standouts - both looking very fit. Ball skills by all players were very sharp. Many new faces from the draft and rookies. Burns, Holland, Molloy, McGough and Presti all had solid sessions. Rocca had about 5 attempts to kick a goal from a slight angle 45 out and managed only 1 goal.

Players signed autographs after the session - from where i was -Leon, Ant and Didak were not signing, all the others took time to mingle and sign any piece of memorabilia offered to them.

Notable absentees were Tazza, Lonie and Davidson (injured).

A great opportunity to see the team in Sydney. Thanks to all who made it possible.

Definition of Genius:Syd Barrett
Definition of Moshpit:Grinspoon
Murray 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:42 am

Great reports guys

DISCLAIMER - If any of my posts are contrary to the views of Mike or any of the other Mods then my views and opinions are to be totally ignored.

GreatGonzo Taurus

Muppet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:16 am

We had our SCSC committee meeting afterwards at the pub below the Novotel where the club is staying.
A few minutes into the meeting Pebbles walks straight past us - that was it for a smooth running meeting. Half an our later the whole team is having dinner right next to us. It was great. Magpiefanatic was running beserk trying to get his shirt signed by a lot of players. Stay tuned for a few photos on our website http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net

I even scored a signature from Mick. I have to say Rupe is a legend...

[This message has been edited by GreatGonzo (edited 06 February 2003).]
Murray 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:56 am

Really great stuff Craig.
A real insight into the players and coach.

DISCLAIMER - If any of my posts are contrary to the views of Mike or any of the other Mods then my views and opinions are to be totally ignored.

BigMac 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:34 am

Fantastic reports guys!

I'm glad the club has made an effort to mix it with Sydney-based supporters because I think us Melbourne-based supporters forget how great we've got it!

I was amused about the report of Lockyer improving on his reflexes. Good to see it was reflexes to pick up the ball, not get out of the way of it.

Cheers guys, look forward to the practice match reports!

When you control the mail, you control information.
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:14 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOh I miss my Footyyy!!.....Great read guys... and thanks for sharing with us....

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(2003...onwards to glory!)
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:16 pm

Could one of the moderators please transfer this thread in the Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club forum.

Thank you.

Carol

May the Wings of the Magpie touch every corner of the Nation!

[This message has been edited by ck_nd (edited 07 February 2003).]
GreatGonzo Taurus

Muppet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:28 am

Pictures from that day are now available on
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net . Go to Events.

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:30 am

Good pics,buth the 'Newsletter Manager'looks a bit 'ify!!!!'
Sorry about that,no harm meant,but either it was dam hot out there or,,,,what ever!!!!!!

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002.
We missed 2002 but theres always 2003
y2Traci Gemini

Geelong Magpie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:52 am

Great pics gang!

"With hope in our hearts, and wings on our heels"
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:02 am

Thanks for the pix.... good work!!

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(2003...onwards to glory!)
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:48 pm

I think there should be a copy of this post in the Sydney forum as that is where people visiting the BB who are browsing through the supporters forums would expect to find this.

Carol

May the Wings of the Magpie touch every corner of the Nation!
Black_White 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:37 am

The Age 8/2/2003

Pies and Dogs make waves
By Peter Ker
February 08 2003

Collingwood escaped unscathed from its most arduous hit-out of the pre-season yesterday when the Magpies took to Telstra Stadium for an intra-club fixture.

Captain Nathan Buckley and prize recruit Shane Woewodin both contributed soundly, but it was the Magpies' second-tier players that impressed the coaching staff.

The 17-minute quarters on Olympic turf in Sydney were Collingwood's most intense work-out of the summer, with general manager of football operations Neil Balme nominating Tarkyn Lockyer and Heath Scotland as best afield.

"Alan Didak was very good as well and I think he kicked four goals in the end," he said.

Balme said improvement among the club's second-tier group was crucial to Collingwood's title aspirations.

"They're the ones that have got to do well," he said.

Ben Kinnear and former West Coast utility Andrew Williams contributed strongly, while Balme said the coaching staff were also pleased with the performance of young players Bo Nixon and Luke Shackleton.

"Mick was pretty pleased with it - it was a step up from last week and they all worked pretty hard," he said. "He thought the skill level was pretty good and the way they played together was pretty good."

While not a stand-out, Balme said Woewodin made an impressive start, fitting in well with Collingwood's running brigade.

The Magpies have been based at Homebush this week, training and providing clinics in western Sydney as part of the AFL's week of community camps.

Balme said the highlight of the trip, which finished yesterday, came during a white-water rafting session, though Balme almost became the season's first casualty. "I nearly drowned," he said
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I edited out the bulldogs crap.

-Craig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: