Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WHATS THE POINT OF GETTING A SOCAIL CLUB MEMBERSHIP NOW?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GO RUPERT 10 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:02 am
Post subject: WHATS THE POINT OF GETTING A SOCAIL CLUB MEMBERSHIP NOW?Reply with quote

Seeing that fron now all socail club members who join arent guaranteed a gf ticket whats the point of coughing up 390 bucks or more for one.You are still get finals tickets if you are a season ticket holder
Whats the diffence in getting a 18 game seasons ticket now and a 18 game socail club ticket
ive been a member of this club since 1993 and in that time ive missed 1 game in melb and have supported the club interstate 11 times and this is what i get for it so i think until the ponsford is built they can stick the socail club membership cause now its basically the same as a 18 game season ticket(oops i forgot you get the badge woo hoo

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i see where youre coming from rupert10, im not getting social club bcos A i cant afford it and B if i could i wouldnt use it anyway.

and magpie willow shutup, who pays for your ticket? your parents? some ppl cant afford to fork out hundreds of dollars ok.

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:26 am

The point IS and always was to show support for the Club.
I'm sure we weren't getting our Social Club memberships during the eighties and nineties including the Wooden Spoon year just to get Grand Final Tickets!

If you bleed black and white you'll never walk alone.
magpie willow 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:47 am

I didnt mean to offend anyone sorry guys yeah my parents do buy em buts whats wrong with that. I was not saying you should buy em anyway i just meant you get membership to help the club i wasnt calling you poor or anything so i hope you guys dont hate me. And mate i go interstate every year all through 1995-2003
and i always will go.

Cheers
Will.

THERES ONLY 1 NATHAN BUCKLEY! THERES ONLY 1 NATHAN BUCKLEY! STRUTTIN HIS STUFF! KICKIN SOME BUTT! WALKIN IN A MAGPIE WONDERLAND!

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:55 am

Well GR10, I would suggest that WHEN the Pies make the GF this year, an ordinary member will have Buckley's chance of getting a tic. If something like last year happens and there is a ballot for any remaining tics unclaimed by SC members then I would think they will go to "unguaranteed" SC members. That would be my guess. Don't say you weren't warned. And yes support the Club. And when the new stand is built I wouldn't think it'll get any better, unless you are willing to pay through the nose.

Go Pies!
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:10 am

no problem with your parents paying for your tickets but i think im old enough to buy my own now and i dont want my parents to have to buy mine, they offered to buy me SC membership but i said no cos i dont want to sponge off them!

TARKO TARKO MAN!
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:17 pm

Very well said MagpieWillow, Stik35 and AnthonyC... yes the idea is to support the Club....and just because of your lateness in renewing you are not guaranteed a finals tix... then I assume that youre a bandwagoner.....
By the way this is not a slur ON people that cant afford the price... but to people that jump on a sure thing and then have the audacity to whinge about how wrongly they are done by....

Everybody was warned about it... and even if they werent.... they shouldve used their brains instead of sitting on them....

And excuses about how close to Christmas and how dear it is.... so on and so forth.... they are just lame excuses... I'm sorry but.. people who have missed out on a guaranteed ticket.... ITS YOUR OWN BLOODY FAULT!!!

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(2003...onwards to glory!)

[This message has been edited by cobood (edited 24 January 2003).]
magpie willow 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:46 pm

I am certainly not a bandwagoner!!!!! We get our membership every year and go to every game so piss off cobbod. My dad didnt get em early enough and i told him heaps and heaps about the thing but he did it too late it was his fault and im pissed with him but we will just see what happens this season. I have been a member since 1995 when i was 5 and i am still a member now and always will be i am sick to death of people telling me i jump the bandwagon i could not be more offended to think of all the years i have been a member i will forveer be one.

Cheers
Will.

THERES ONLY 1 NATHAN BUCKLEY! THERES ONLY 1 NATHAN BUCKLEY! STRUTTIN HIS STUFF! KICKIN SOME BUTT! WALKIN IN A MAGPIE WONDERLAND!

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:57 pm

Well i have to agree with Rupert 10. There is not much difference in the season ticket and the social club ticket. That was one of the perks of being a social club member in that it guaranteed you a grand final ticket if the club made it. So for the same price you could almost buy two 18 games seasons tickets?
Its one thing to support your club but its another thing to spend money for no extra added benefit. I would be very disappointed if Collingwood adopted the same approach when it came to their expenditure.

Are we trying to draw a comparison between how much money a person contributes to their club and their passion ?? If thats the case then i guess Joe Gutnick was the most passionate Melbourne Supporter?? Me thinks not. Being a passionate Collingwood supporter comes from your heart and not from your wallet. Passion cannot and never will be able to be bought. I know plenty of Collingwood supporters who are way more passionate about the game then many of the corporates i see at the football who are only their to impress the clients.

One would have thought that the common sense approach would have been to give existing members a certain date to renew by. If they then let their membership lapse well then its their own fault. However just to all of a sudden announce the cut off date is a bit rough i feel. Believe it or not there are actually some people who may have a family and to them it would be a struggle to all of a sudden to renew for example four or five social memberships three months earlier than usual.

Secondly i think its a bit of a low blow referring to someone as a "dickhead". I know Rupert10 and he is a great bloke. Perhaps you need a thesaurus to get a few more words in your vocabulary.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:55 pm

Indeed ... what IS the point?

It's a good question, GO RUPERT 10.

To "financially support our great Club"?????

Gimme a break. People who say this make "our great Club" sound like a basket case. The Collingwood Football Club is a multi-squillion dollar financial juggernaut. It doesn't need MY charity to keep it going.

People carry on as if membership is some sort of donation ... it's a bloody big donation, if you ask me. A lot more than I'd give to any other "charity". And I dare say it's a lot more than most other people would give to charities that are much more in need of our money than "our great Club".

Donation, my arse ... buying a Social Club membership is a consumer transaction ... and anyone who tells you they make this transaction without some perceived benefit to themselves is either a liar or a fool. Just saying that you bought Social Club membership in 1999, so you're therefore not just in it for GF tickets is bollocks. When you bought your membership at the start of 1999, we were as much a chance to make the GF as any other club. You had no way of knowing whether THIS was going to be THE year.

So ... what is the point?

Well ... for anyone who hasn't joined yet (which includes me) ... Social Club membership in 2003 is really just going to be money down the toilet. As things stand, the GF guarantee is the ONLY consumer benefit of being in the Social Club ... Take that away and there is NOTHING.

But there is possibly a long-term benefit of paying up. When the MCG revoations are complete, the Collingwood Social Club will have its own special enclosure at the MCG. This will be a very real benefit.

Now, I suppose you could say, "OK. I'll let my membership lapse until the MCG renovations are complete."

But the problem there is that you might not be able to join by then. Collingwood Social Club membership is going to have to be capped at some point. As more and more people jump on the bandwagon, eventually you'll have to serve a waiting period, like MCC and AFL members.

So ... if you're a 2002 Social Club member who hasn't got around to renewing yet ... and you're looking for a reason to renew ... then that is probably it. To make sure you hold your place in the queue for future years. Because the Collingwood Social Club is about to become an exclusive society ... and you're either going to be in ... or you're not going to be in.

I'm still making up my mind whether I still want to be part of this. It's a lot of elitist codswallop if you ask me. It has turned football allegiance into a financial millstone that we have to be willing to carry around our necks for the rest of our lives just so we can call ourselves the chosen people.

And let's not kid ourselves ... it's not getting any cheaper.

GO HARD OR GO HOME
Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" http://alf.magpies.net
Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:46 pm

I gotta get some sleep

[This message has been edited by Rowdy26 (edited 25 January 2003).]
magpie willow 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:53 am

Guys we shouldnt fight over this and just support Collingwood because the worst thing that can happen is collingwood supporters fighting.

Cheers
Will.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:12 am

Thank you JLC for pointing out that money and passion do not go hand in hand. Was our club founded on the white collar or blue collar worker? Collingwood supporters are known for their passion here in WA (and I assume elsewhere too). Our club may have transformed into a professional unit that is unmatched in the afl but the supporter base remains the same - passionate.

In response the question at hand, let me ask one back. Why would you buy a social club membership in the first place? Was it only to guarantee a GF ticket? If that's the case then byou've answered your own question so don't get one. If there were other reasons then you'll know what they are.

The bickering we have here is an obvious frustration that some of us may have missed out on the GF and "bandwagoners" have somehow "stolen" their rightful place to go. I say if you are that strong about it then don't join. $50 says you will rejoin in 2004. Cmon people, you are so unhappy with the club regarding this but I have a question for you; regardless of which type do you want to be a member or not? If so then join, I don't care which type of membership just sign up. At least you'll get to see the boys most weeks...some of us are happy when they get to us once a year!

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:20 am

I think the footy better start *lol*. I think its great that their r so many people wanting to join up!!!!!!!. I just wanted to know has anyone got their social club membership pack yet?????
Ok,so i have asked this before but i renewed last year just before christmas(or whenever the captains one was due for renewal) and it hasn't come yet!!!!!!!!. Its the 25th of Jan and they said i would get it by the end of Jan!.

Hope everyone is safe and well! I know here in Tassie,its smokey as anything,lets hope it cools down soon. Take care everyone!!

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
*2003:The beginning of molloy's injury free footy seasons*
*2002 Joint V.C*
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:14 am

yeh i agree with you alf! thats exactly right!

and cobood who made you chief analyser as to who is and isnt a bandwagoner???

TARKO TARKO MAN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: