Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My coworker was inapropreate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:43 pm
Post subject: My coworker was inapropreateReply with quote

This happened today so I'm still upset by this and I can't even sleep now like I do after the work. I only work half-days because I am part-time. Today I was very upset at work in the morning. I had some personel problems and I was being blamed at work for something and I had a headache si it was beiung a hard day and I was sitting at my desk crying by myself but there were other people around. There is a coworker who doesn't sit next to me in my right. His station is diagnol from my station. At a "L" from me. But I can see him when I look at him which I was. I could tell he was been laughing at me and he was smiling. I was furious and then he blew a kiss at me and everyone laughed. I was furious more! I got the shakes and so I went to the boy's room. I think this was harasment and even sexual harasment even though I don't think he is homosexual because I've listened to him talking to other people and I've seen pictures in his desk of a girl. But that doesn't matter to here and this situation was done in anyway.

I went to my boss at his lunch but he didn't take me seriously and I could tell. He is my coworker's boss too, but he didn't want to listen and I got upset and then he started to yell at ME! This was very wrong and other people looked at me. I said I was going to see the President of the Univarsity where I work but he did not care. At least, he said so, but I think the President is going to be mad about this going on. This is unprofesional and totaly inapropreate. It is inapropreate my boss did nothing too. It is harasment at my workplace. I don't know who to talk to after now because I am frustrated and confused and I know I have to sit at my station again tomorow when I go and because everyone is going to be there. How can I work? There is not right. It was embarasing for me in there. I know the cops won't help me.

What do I do? Do I go tell the President of the Univarsity? Do I call a lawyer and su? Is there a case I have? I can't quit and I should and think so, but I need the money now.
Peter Griffin 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a dispute resolution service available through your uni, if not, approach the Dean. It is, after all, the responsibility of your boss to resolve these disputes and not sweep them under the carpet. Not only for your sake but for the sake of effective team management.

Oh, but I'm thick so nothing I say should have any bearing whatsoever. Good luck!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Next time you are at the office, casually put your hand on your co-worker's knee for a moment, just in a friendly way. Chances are he will get quite a surprise. On the other hand, it's always possible that you are wrong anbout his orientation and then YOU may get a surprise. Life is like that.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:59 pm

I am not a gay! Sad
Peter Griffin 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:17 pm

And neither is the other guy. It's not sexual harrassment.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
I am not a gay! Sad

But he doesn't know that. That's why he is going to get a little surprise! Smile

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 pm

But seriously now, a hand on your knee isn't always a sexual thing. Far from it. The unwritten rules of appropriate and inappropriate physicality vary from place to place, time to time, and person to person. I am not a very touchy person and, by nature, prefer plenty of interpersonal space in normal (non-intimate) social situations. For example, I hate it when people want to talk to you in a purely business context and they walk right up to you and stand 12-24 inches away. It just makes me uncomfortable. I can't push them away, but that's what my instincts are telling me to do. So I find an excuse to back off ... and nine times out of ten, the bastards follow me! Some people just don't feel comfortable having a conversation unless they are right on top of you. They are completely unaware of this, so far as I can tell. Hell, I've had people follow me around the damn room, all unconscious of their action. It just seems like an ordinary conversation to them - I suppose they are so used to other people walking backwards away from them that they think it's normal! This is where being in your own office is great - you can go and sit behind your desk, and then push your chair back till you feel comfortable. They can't bloody follow you there!

But that's me. We are all different, and culture is a large part of that. Years ago, I used to work with a heap of guys (and some women too) from the Subcontiment. Great people to work with, but they (in general) liked to be closer. Indeed, for these guys it was a perfectly normal, friendly thing to do, if you were having an ordinary chat with a workmate, to put your arm around his shoulder or your hand on his knee. Nothing remotely sexual or intrusive in it, just a different idea of personal space. Simply friendship, nothing else.

To me, of course, it seemed really weird at first, but you quickly get used to these things and before too long think nothing of them. You just adjust your "personal space meter" and forget about it. But some time later - after working with these guys for some months - I started noticing Australian-born friends occasionally backing away from me in mild discomfort. After a moment's thought, I realised that I had become so used to the up-close, easy touching ways of my sub-continental workmates that I had pretty much adopted them myself, all unawares.

Anyway, personal space and touching are a bit like clothing. It really doesn't matter too much what the actual rules are - some communities everybody goes naked and thinks nothing of it, others you don't even take your shirt off in public or wear shorts; some communities you keep a good distance between people unless you are intimates, others you stay close and touch often even with near-strangers; in other communities again you are forced into very close contact (think crowded trains in Tokyo) but there are well-developed rules of conduct to "defuse" that contact and classify the closeness and touching as "non-social".

My point? No point really, just yarning.

PS: Nick,you stirrer, I can't believe that YOU complained to ME about "not knowing when I'm serious or not". Pot, kettle, blacker than a bloody coal miner's fundament.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:03 pm

Oh come on, surely you must know when I'm taking the piss. (it's whenever I post anything)
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:08 pm

It may surprise some here to learn that there was no cousin I almost had sex with
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:11 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
Oh come on, surely you must know when I'm taking the piss. (it's whenever I post anything)

Also when your spelling and grammar goes to hell. It looks like you copy and paste some of this stuff from a blog.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:14 pm

Interesting comparsion.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:52 pm

i think YOU were pretty
Quote:
inapropreate
to Peter Griffin with your pictures in the last thread.

Think your just a troll.......seen em before (probably you) and will see em again.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:09 pm

she needed my help and i offered it freely. geez no wonder people are reluctant to help strangers in this day and age
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
It may surprise some here to learn that there was no cousin I almost had sex with

That's quite a trick. Smile If you don't have a cousin, how can you almost have sex with her? Shocked

Or maybe I mean that if you didn't actually have sex then she probably isn't almost your cousin. Question

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 pm

When was this exactly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: