Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-season news.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:35 am
Post subject: Pre-season news.Reply with quote

Woewodin sets hot pace in pool
15 December 2002 Sunday Herald Sun
By JACKIE EPSTEIN

SHANE Woewodin was back in the swim of it yesterday when Collingwood players took to the Fitzroy Pool.

Woewodin, the 2000 Brownlow medallist who was surprisingly traded by Melbourne, led the way as the Pies went back to basics, with September action long gone.

Woewodin is impressing his new club, fast building a reputation as one of the fittest players.

Football operations manager Mark Kleiman said Woewodin was fitting in well and was shaping up for a fine season.

"He's just picked up from where he left off at Melbourne," he said.

"He is setting an example on the track for everyone."

Another happy in the water is Cameron Cloke, taken in the draft under the father-son rule. The younger brother of Jason and son of David, Cloke is coming along well.

The team trained under new assistant coach Terry Daniher, who transferred from the Bombers to join their arch rivals for this season.

Daniher, whose brother Neale is coach of Woewodin's former club, Melbourne, took control in the absence of coach Mick Malthouse.

The Magpies have a light jog and early morning swim session every second Saturday during preseason.

The team is on track for its opening game, against Carlton in the Wizard Cup at Telstra Dome on February 23

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sav wants own Grand Final
14 December 2002 Herald Sun
By JON RALPH

KANGAROOS full-forward Sav Rocca will use the jealousy he felt watching younger brother Anthony in this year's Grand Final as motivation next season.

Rocca watched Anthony's stellar four-goal performance, then consoled his emotional brother in the Collingwood rooms after the match.

Sav said yesterday he was inspired by his little brother, but also desperate to emulate Anthony next September.

"My brother has just turned 26 and he has played in a Grand Final and I have just turned 29 and I have played in only two finals," he said. "That's one thing I want to do before I retire -- play in a Grand Final and (win a) premiership."

Sav gave Collingwood nine years of service before being de-listed at the end of 2000, but revived his career at the Kangaroos.

He said there were many similarities between the two Roccas, which only increased his desire to succeed.

"To see him playing out there was fantastic for him," he said. "I get inspired when I see things like that and I see a little bit of myself in him.

"But there was the jealousy of him playing, and of his side being there. You always want your side in the Grand Final, instead of his side."

Rocca bleached his hair in a bout of post-Denis Pagan excitement, scratching a 13-year-old itch.

"I went into the hairdresser and said 'Give me something different'," he said. "I've wanted to do it since I was 16.

"I wouldn't be doing it if Denis was still here. He would tell you as soon as you did something that brought attention to yourself."

The sudden sense of freedom at the Kangaroos doesn't stop there. Rocca believes new coach Dean Laidley has instilled something fresh and exciting.

"It is lots more enjoyable in the pre-season when you get a new game plan," Rocca said.

"The guys here who have played under Denis for 10 years say it has brought new life back into their legs.

"We are all serious on the track but the pre-season is fun. We have little competitions and it's enjoyable and there are new drills to concentrate on."

But while the Pagan legacy will remain at Arden St for years to come, Pagan's paddock is a thing of the past. Laidley is instituting a new, less predictable playing style for 2003.

"There will definitely be a bit of the old to start off with, but also some new things," Sav said.

"Without giving too much away, if we start becoming too predictable, we will swap it around and change our methods and plans. It will be harder for other sides to combat us and work us out."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Go to; http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/sectionindex/0,8031,aflCollingwood,00.html

And click on the "Collingwood - The year in Pictures" link under the pic of Tazza.

-------------------------------------------------------------

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx BW saves me searching the net for news!

ta

http://magpiemad.magpies.net/
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for that news Craig.

Gr8 to hea about Woey, im not surprised though, he will be fantastic for Collingwood and always has looked super fit. Cant wait to see him run onto the field in the bhlack and white.

As for Sav, i was sad reading that. I sincerely hope Sav can achieve everything he sets out to do in his career cos he is a top bloke and gave Collingwood all his heart for many years. Good luck SAV

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: