Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Steinfort delisted!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:42 pm
Post subject: Steinfort delisted!!!Reply with quote

from realfooty.com.au http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2002/12/11/1039379883344.html

Magpie Steinfort to seek new club
By Jake Niall
December 12 2002

Collingwood tagger Carl Steinfort, a member of the Magpies' 2002 grand final side, has been delisted and will seek a new club in next week's pre-season draft.

He will look for a new club after the Magpies told him he would struggle for a regular senior game next year.

Steinfort yesterday told teammates of his decision to leave, which will open up a vacancy and enable the Magpies to pick a player in the pre-season draft on December 20.

Geelong has expressed mild interest in its former midfielder, but has not made any firm commitment. Steinfort's chances of being drafted may have been improved by Matthew Lappin's decision to remain with Carlton.

For the Magpies, Steinfort's exit is likely to have the benefit of improving their salary cap position slightly for 2003. He was contracted for next year, but under AFL rules, as a delisted player, it is possible his salary can be counted in Collingwood's 2002 total player payments.

"An arrangement has been reached that is suitable for both parties," said Steinfort's manager, Dan Richardson, of the financial deal.

Richardson said the decision to leave was entirely Steinfort's and he had parted "very amicably" with Collingwood.

Collingwood football manager Neil Balme said yesterday that Steinfort had been mindful of the fact that he was unlikely to play a significant role in an improved midfield unit next year and did not want to languish at Williamstown. "He could see himself playing there a significant amount, and he wasn't too sure he wanted to be doing that."

Balme said the acquisitions of Shane Woewodin and Andrew Williams meant Steinfort would get fewer opportunities in the midfield. He said Steinfort had sought to be traded during the trading period, but had been unable to find a home.

Balme said Steinfort, who played nine senior games last year, had made a fine contribution to Collingwood in his two seasons at Victoria Park and had been prominent in each of the club's finals games this year.

Brought back into the team for the qualifying final against Port Adelaide, he succeeded in shutting down Roger James and was among the best players in a startling victory that set up his team's grand final appearance.

http://magpiemad.magpies.net/

[This message has been edited by magpiemad (edited 12 December 2002).]
Tio_Ray 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that’s big news.....He was not one of our best but was a decent player and I wish him the best of luck...mmmm....I wonder IF and WHO Collingwood might pick up in the draft? We now have room for one more on our senior list....any speculation as to what Collingwood will do?

Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:21 am

just promote a rookie I reckon - I don't think they were expecting this, and I don't think we have neough room under this or future salary caps to be luring a big name player, so I would't be surprised if they don't feature in teh draft

- Ben

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:44 am

yeah,i was very suprised they delisted steinfort,he had a great finals series in closing down roger james and kane johnson,like they said i think he would have struggled to get a senior game next year,good luck steinfort where ever you may end up,you were a great player for the pies,and one of my favourite players,jusy the way he went around playing..!!

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:50 am

Yeah Big Carl will be missed as he had a great work ethic and attitude. At least he told the club well in advance and tried to see if a trade was available and did not keep going and then quit after Pre Season draft unlike Tyson Lane.

I have a feeling he could end up at Richmond. Ideally though he would like Essendon as thats the club he idolised as a child.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:16 am

Sorry to see you go Steiner - I had nothing against you (well, maybe your kicking could have been smartened up a tad, but you're not the only one).

Given that he was a contracted player, it makes you wonder what plans we have for Shaw and Kinnear....

"I am disrespectful to scum! Can you see I am serious!"
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:38 am

Bit of a surprise. I can see where the footy dept. is coming from but a very good backup in case of injuries. The depth we are building is great we should't get rid of it. There MUST be something brewing....

Go Pies!
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:10 am

I for one am sad to see him go. Not brilliant but capable, with a good head on his shoulders.

I hope he finds another home. Else, I guess, we might redraft him ourselves.

Good luck Steiner!

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Coxonator 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:56 am

I would expect them to make a selection in the pre-season draft and to take 1 of the following on the minimum wage -

Craig Ednie (Richmond) - Little bloke who plays midfield and forward pocket. Has good skills and strong hands for a small player.

Jason Cripps (St.Kilda) - Played really well last year after coming back from 3 years out of the game only for that idiot Grant Thomas to delist him. Huge heart, tough and good team player.

Ricky Mott (Sydney) - Has been training with Freo but could still be a decent back-up ruckman coz i'm still not convinced about Richards.

Guy Rigoni (Melbourne) - Apparently over his back problem and whilst he is a risk wouldn't it be funny to he and Woewodin destroy the Dees on Queen's Birthday next year.

Adam Lange (Kangaroos) - He's one of those guys that every time i see him play he does well!!! Good strong hands and can play either forward or back.

Lindsay Smith (Carlton) - Speaking to some Carlton blokes they couldn't believe he was delisted coz apparently could be anything not that tall for a ruckman but good leap. Pagan musn't like him much delisted twice in 2 years.

Ryan Fitzgerald (Adelaide) - Was i think pick number 3 in the draft 4-5 years ago has real talent but lots of injuries crippled him at Sydney and Adelaide if he could get fit skies the limit.

Trent Hotten (Carlton) - Well i thoiught i'd throw in a bit of a joke 1 for ya but he has matured since his Magpie days and can be handy in the ruck.

Go the mighty Pies in 2003!!!!

magpie willow 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:13 am

Well i am very dissapointed to see him go he couldve done great things i belive and will be missed by all collingwood fans. Hopefully some way we redraft him and we should keep him in the seniors. And if not hopefully we get another decent player. See ya Steiner and all the best for the future we will miss ya!

From Magpie Willow

Go pies!!!

MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:46 pm

Im very shocked after Steiner's finals series but at the end of the day, I think it is a wise career move. Chances are his opportunities will be pretty limited in 2003 so its probably best for the club and Steiner if he moves on. Best of luck to Carl with whatever his future holds

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
*Rach_luvs_Lonie* Aries

*~LiL bItTa CoUnTrY..LiL bItA mJ~*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:48 pm

Well, dat was a bit of a shock wasnt it...
Steiner, I hope U enjoy woteva U do, Good luck dude, U r a champ
Luv Rach!!xoxox

*OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE AND THATS WOT ITS ALL ABOUT*

I am so smart..S M A T

*Parsnip rock my world* YAAAAAY GO THEM!!!!
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:43 pm

just as i was starting to really get behind him! he WAS PLAYING SO WELL IN THE FINALS! geez im gunna miss him, this is happening all to fast! ILL MISS YA steinfeld!

footy ROX!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: