Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Little BO peep ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:59 am
Post subject: Little BO peep ?Reply with quote

Ah ! Alass, we have a nickname for Bowman Nixon

Read on...

Titled
"Bo peeps at the big time"
12 December 2002 Herald Sun
By JON RALPH
IT'S a nondescript training session 107 days before the real footy kicks off, but 50 Collingwood diehards still clamour for autographs at the Victoria Park players' race.
Bo Nixon, the club's No. 21 draft pick this year, looks at the assorted gathering that assembles at every session and realises he has hit the big time.
The rangy Assumption College onballer might be a while away from his senior debut, but by February the faithful will probably be yelling out his name as he runs down the race.
``Yeah, they are fanatical aren't they,'' he said yesterday.
``Before I got drafted I knew that Collingwood had a really strong supporter base, but since I have been here, (even) at our first training session they were out in force. It makes you realise how important it is to them.''
The level-headed 18-year-old sheepishly admits he has signed his first autograph as a Collingwood player, but only because he didn't dare refuse a youngster.
``I kind of signed one the other day for a little girl who was waiting out the front and I said, `Yeah, you probably don't know me, but I talk to Nathan Buckley'. That is about it. I sign jumpers and stuff.''
At 190cm and 86kg, the Pies have selected a player capable of pinch-hitting up forward, but with the aerobic capacity to run out games in the midfield. He was selected in the tall forwards group at this year's AFL draft camp, but throughout a strong junior career has made his name in the midfield.
Touted as a possible top-10 pick earlier this year, Nixon will eventually add hardness and pace to a midfield already going strong.
``I think I can play in a few different spots and I can use that to my advantage,'' he said. ``Ideally it would be a great (skill) if I could play anywhere.''
Nixon senses there is a real hunger about the playing group, despite a surprise Grand Final appearance this year.
``I think everyone is really looking forward to getting back into the pre-season. I think all the guys were really fit at the start of the pre-season so it wasn't too much of a break,'' he said.
``I think we have got a really good list, so for all the boys, last year's loss was a bit of fuel to spark them up for (next) year.''
Despite the increased attention for the former Yarrawonga boy, there isn't a hint of complacency.
``I had a really close mate, Ryan Crawford, Shane's cousin, who from all indications thought he would get drafted and I would have definitely said he would have got drafted (but he missed out).''
Crawford is now trying out for a Sydney rookie-list spot, but Nixon is aware his chance is one he needs to grab with both hands.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: