Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Posts pruned from the president's topic

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

Murray 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:21 am

Can anyone explain to me why we all MUST agree on everything and why is it that anyone who does NOT agree with the majority is attacked unmercilessly to the point they feel they must leave the site.
Is that the type of BB people want - a board of sycophants.

As one who is sometimes considered to be slightly controversial (which I enjoy BTW) it is not the thing I want.
What do others think??

DISCLAIMER - If any of my posts are contrary to the views of Mike or any of the other Mods then my views and opinions are to be totally ignored.

Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:54 am

Murray,

I dont think its a case of needing to agree on everything. I have been around the boards in some form or another long enough to realise that sometimes issues will be raised that may be against the thinking of the majority of the board and these types of post will of course get a reaction from sometimes heated or enraged supporters because the ideas put forward strongly disagree with those of their own. Generally these types of posts will eventually blow over on both sides and people will begin getting along again. You have to realise that if you post controversial posts then of course this is going to happen.

However sometimes it appears that individuals come on here and their main objective is to continually post controversial topics, or deliberately disagree with popular opinion for arguments sake. This is what seems to annoy, or infuriate, the "majority" poster. Generally posters can handle disagreements here and there, however when it seems to continuously come from the same person time and time again, and particuarly those who are rather new on the scene then its to be expected that they are going to get unfavourable responses. So if they then feel they have to leave the site then maybe they are on the wrong site and may find what they are looking for on another site.

As has been mentioned time and time again, this is a site for Collingwood supporters, and you have to realise that if you post anything that in anyway criticises any aspect of the Collingwood name or its people, be it constructive or not, then you are going to get angered responses. There are other boards around where you can post these types of things and maybe get replies more to your liking. All Collingwood people are more than welcome here, as are others if they really want to come here, however those who come here with the appearance of doing so simply to post controversial posts or negative thoughts for their own enjoyment are going to be felt unwelcome very quickly. Its human nature whether it be here or in a physical public place.

Further comments or actions, no matter how subtle they are, that only enflame the issue or dont allow the issue to be laid to rest will only infuriate other posters even more and if you want to feel more welcome then you should realise this is not the best place for this. As i said before there may be other locations around that better suit these needs if it is the persons desire to carry on with them.

There is a line which most people can identify and know to tread over lightly. Granted there are no strict definations that define this line, however it would be unrealistic to think it could be defined to meet every individual situation or set of circumstances. If after using a bit of common sense and reality an individual is unable to define this line and cant work out how to tread it, then maybe Nicks isnt suited to them.

On a personal note Murray, it is comments like those depicted in your signature, that probably extrude the grey areas of this line and may cause the feelings of unwelcomeness that others may sometimes emit.

Not being a moderator myself i believe that i can say they do a fantastic job of overseeing this board. The sheer number of moderators and the variation in personalities, ages, and backgrounds of each seems to hold well in catering to the needs of most people who choose to post on here.

In the end it is a choice. You can post here if you like, however if you dont like the way things are run here (and basically have been run for many years now, apart from the introduction of a more democratic moderating team) or you do begin to feel unwelcome, even after taking in my own views above then there is noone forcing anyone to post here.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:14 pm

To all you collingwood young ones out there, some advice from an older magpie..keep loving your favourite players..i remember very clearly the affection and admiration i had for peter mckenna i just worshipped the ground he walked on and i thought it was fantastic, i once had my photo taken with peter mckenna and to me at the time it was worth all the money in the world.

And let me tell ya even now when i stand next to certain players and have a chat i get pretty excited..i love it, i reckon its fantastic, after all loving your club and players is what its all about.

When emma ( daughter ) was younger she fell in love with the rocca's and i thought it was fantastic and the way that saverio and anthony treated emma was very heart warming and it certianly cemented a life lasting love between emma and collingwood.

Much mythologised,frequently misrepresented,collingwood has become a legendary place,from its slums rose a football club that would give its people hope,love and a sense of belonging,the collingwood football club gave its poor a sense of pride, it would quickly grow into the greatest sporting institution in the world...the collingwood football club to it's people is life.

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS
joffa@magpies.net

Murray 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:34 am

Thanks R26, your response was well thought out and your points well made.
BTW I have never felt unwelcome here I was pointing out that Abi did. I personally don't give a thuck what people think about me, I only have to live up to my own expectations - no one elses.

I take your point about this being a Collingwood board and of course you are right. It is the one thing that ties us all together into our family. However even in families there can sometimes be dissent.

From my own experiences I sometimes post, what could considered by some to be controversial, topics to genuinely find out what people think. I never do it to get a reaction. I am and have always been keen to seek a point of view from others particularly where that point of view differs from my own.
Controversy is easy, real debate is some what harder.

Rowdy26, it is exactly the type of discussion you and I have entered into that I find is an excellent form of exchanging points of view so as to gain a better understanding of our fellow family members. For that, I thank you.
Murray

DISCLAIMER - If any of my posts are contrary to the views of Mike or any of the other Mods then my views and opinions are to be totally ignored.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: