Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our Draft Picks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:16 am
Post subject: Our Draft PicksReply with quote

pick 21 : Bo Nixon
(Calder Cannons) 25 July 1984, 190cm, 86kg

Nixon is one of the most exciting tall forwards to emerge in the draft, with his character equally impressive. A strong mark, Nixon represented NSW/ACT in the under 18 championships this year, but played with the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup –as well as Assumption College. In his 10 games for the Cannons this year, he averaged 23 disposals. The Western Bulldogs, Essendon and Melbourne are reportedly keen on Nixon, but so too is Richmond, who will look to the impressive tall, as simply the best player available. It wouldn’t surprise if he was considered as early as No.6, but the way the cards are falling, the Tigers could get their man, as the Bombers will take a ruckman and potentially Darren Walsh, while the Demons will just miss out on the opportunity. He will be one to watch closely in the first round.
---------------------------------------------------------------

pick 29 : Luke Shackleton
(Tassie Mariners) 17 November 1984, 177cm, 80kg

Shackleton had a brilliant year in the TAC Cup, winning the Morrish Medal for the best player in the competition, while he was the only Tasmanian to earn All-Australian honours after the under-18 championships in 2002. He averaged 25 touches from his 17 matches, which included a high of 36 disposals in one match. An inside midfielder, Shackleton also played for the Tassie Devils in the VFL in 2002, while he is reportedly attracting interest from Collingwood and could be a taken late in the draft.

pick 43 : Cameron Cloke- Eastern Ranges (Father/Son)

pick 58 : David King

pick 70 : Matthew Locum

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 24 November 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 24 November 2002).]

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rang their talkback to get some info on the others selected....

#58 - David King

Kevin Sheehan describes King as a very big surprise - from SA - 17 year old youngster - Not exposed at senior level - Noel has uncovered this player through his network of talent scouts - definately Noel Judkins Smokey - with his Noels judgment, expect good things.

#70 Matthew Locum

State Under 18 Rep - Plays both ends of the ground with ease - Potential to become a leading forward line player.

Bo Nixon was considered by Sheehan as one who should have gone a lot earlier - Found no fault in his skills - 6ft 2" still growing - played well in the losing Grand Final for the Cannons and was a star in their win in the previous winning Cannons premiership - really surprised by the lateness of the pick - could have been a first rounder last year if he had of nominated.

Matt Bhurgan suggested it was a big surprise at the same time not surprise because of the place he could have fit in to the teams that had picks before Collingwood - definately an excellent pick up by the Pies - they would be very happy!

hope this helps guys

Cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:57 am

dont know much about any of those kids but judkins has got the record to back up his judgement. he seemed genuinely surprised Nixon was still around for our first pick. nearly died when a mate told me we had a drafted David King though....

[This message has been edited by ramjet21 (edited 25 November 2002).]
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:04 am

Great to see the policy of youth continuing, and no has-beens from other clubs being picked to play for the Mighty Woods. I think that MM & Co. will see us in the finals far more often than not over a number of years to come. You're right Ramjet, as much as people like to criticise, Judkins is a very good judge. Remember 12 months ago, who was this McGough bloke?

Go Pies!
*Rach_luvs_Lonie* Aries

*~LiL bItTa CoUnTrY..LiL bItA mJ~*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:59 pm

They sound like good picks, I cant wait to see them play
Luv Rach!!xoxo

*OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE AND THATS WOT ITS ALL ABOUT*

I am so smart..S M A T

*Parsnip rock my world* YAAAAAY GO THEM!!!!
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:52 pm

are there any pics of the new recruits yet online? I just saw
a news report regarding the tassie mariner who's coming to the pies.

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
*2003:The injury free season for Molloy!!*
*2002 Joint V.C*
Hanskies Virgo

~~DUNN~~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:46 pm

Starting Training on Wednesday so there is bound to be some pics in the papers of all the new boys soon.

-Han

*I Love Jason, Yes I do, I Love Clokey and so Should You*
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:50 am

Thnx for the info guys, much appreciated.

http://magpiemad.magpies.net/
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:32 am

Pies rapt with draftees
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au
3:21:56 PM Wed 27 November, 2002

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse has backed the club’s five draftees taken at the National AFL Draft last Sunday, but was realistic enough to suggest that the Magpies would need to wait at least one year before making a firm decision on the outcome from this year’s selections.

Malthouse said every club was always happy at this time of the season with its selections from the draft and made the point that all clubs always say they’re satisfied with their selections.

“Twelve months time is always the best time to judge a draftee, because they come with reputations and some don’t (fulfill them) and you’ll find that sometimes your third round pick plays before your first round pick – it doesn’t mean he’s better – but it just simply means that he might be a bit more mature,” Malthouse said.

“So we’re in the same boat as most clubs in that we will be expecting a lot of our kids to improve.”

“The current group that we’ve just picked, if they play senior football this year, it will be a bonus, if they don’t, it doesn’t mean they haven’t succeeded, it’s just simply means that we’re being a bit more patient with them and developing them.”

Malthouse spoke about Collingwood’s first two picks in the draft – Bo Nixon (Calder Cannons) and Luke Shackleton (Tassie Mariners). The Magpies coach suggested that Nixon – who was taken at No.21 in the draft – was always in the mix for the Pies if he was still available. Many believed he would be snapped up between picks 10 and 20.

“There’s always a ranking from the recruitment staff of every club and some rate people higher than others and that sort of stuff. I’m not going to say we were surprised he was there, but he’s a good size and a good running player,” Malthouse said of Nixon.

“He’s got a good pedigree. He is a school captain, captained the cricket and was vice-captain in the football. He’s just another one that fits the criteria. We’re looking for good solid citizens that have got leadership qualities and can play.”

Malthouse also spoke positively about Shackleton – who won the Morrish Medal after an outstanding year in the TAC Cup – despite the fact that there were concerns about his weight. Yet, Shackleton’s genuine football ability, plus his leap and quickness off the mark for his size was a key factor in the Magpies’ recruitment of the youngster from Tasmania.

“He’s a power athlete. He was the best and fairest of the under-18 competition and he is very hard at it. He’s good over the ball and he suits the criteria that we place on players,” Malthouse said of Shackleton.

Malthouse spoke about the drafting process and endorsed the National AFL Draft Camp, but said that clubs should never lose sight of the fact that a good blend of athletic ability and genuine footballers needed to be recruited to AFL football.

“You might get a super athlete who can’t play and on the other side of the coin, we might get a kid who struggles, yet he’s got a wonderful football brain, so the idea is to get the right balance,” Malthouse said.

“I don’t think you’re ever going to get away from the athlete, but you’ve got to bear in mind that we are playing football and sometimes football nous is probably a tick ahead of athletic ability, but that case can be argued as well.”

“All I say is that, if you’ve got a combination of both, you’re doing OK and I for one think that those training camps are terrific, but they’ve got to be taken in the reality that they’re not a mid-season thing, where everyone is roundabout even and that they’re at the end of the season.”

“If they’re West Australian boys they might have played one week less and if you’re South Australian, they might’ve played one week more. We’ve got to judge that. Now how do you do that? Sometimes, it’s just a bit of guess work.”

“They use the stop watch, they use slid rules and jumping apparatus and all this sort of stuff, but at the end of the day, there is a bit of leather out there and they’ve got to get it and they’ve got to be able to put their head over it and pick it up and use it correctly. So there is a lot to look out for.”

Meanwhile, Malthouse said two other established recruits – 2000 Brownlow Medallist Shane Woewodin and former West Coast forward Andrew Williams – had settled into the club.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: