Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Melbourne paying for part of Woey's contract

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:33 am
Post subject: Melbourne paying for part of Woey's contractReply with quote

How about this?

Demons pay for Woewodin trade
19 November 2002 Herald Sun
By MICHAEL STEVENS

IF MELBOURNE supporters were aggrieved at losing Brownlow medallist Shane Woewodin to Collingwood, imagine their anger now it has been revealed they are also paying for the privilege.

In a deal certain to raise eyebrows, it is understood the left-footed midfielder's trade was achieved with a $160,000 "sweetener" from the Demons.

Melbourne will pay $80,000 a year for the next two seasons to complement Woewodin's estimated $360,000-a-year salary at McHale Stadium.

Coach Neale Daniher seems certain to face an angry barrage from members when he addresses them at the Camberwell Centre tonight.

The Woewodin revelation comes at a time when financial accountability is paramount because most AFL clubs are running at a loss.

Initially, Collingwood was not interested in recruiting the Brownlow medallist, but the Demons were so keen to unload him they offered the $160,000 inducement.

The deal is not uncommon in the AFL, with several recently traded players having part of their contracts paid by their former clubs.

Melbourne would not comment on the deal last night.

Football manager Danny Corcoran said the payments were subject to a confidentiality clause binding to both parties.

"We are not talking about it under any circumstances," Corcoran said.

But just last week Corcoran and coach Neale Daniher revealed on the club's website Woewodin would have earned more than $1 million over the next two seasons if he had stayed at Melbourne.

But because he had not finished in the top 10 in the club's best and fairest in the past two years (he was 12th this year), it was necessary to restructure his contract.

Collingwood chief executive Greg Swann confirmed last night the Magpies were not paying the full amount of Woewodin's reduced contract.

Swann said the Magpies had signed Woewodin to a three-year deal, while he had only two years of his contract to run at Melbourne.

"All I know is what we're paying him," Swann said. "They (Melbourne) are paying some, I do know that, but I don't know what the number is."

In other deals involving traded players, it is believed Essendon, which parted with premiership player Justin Blumfield to Richmond, will pay a portion of his estimated $250,000-a-season salary at Punt Rd.

It is understood this amount is $50,000 a season, which will be included as part of the Bombers' total player payments in the salary cap.

At the Kangaroos, it is believed former Richmond utility David Bourke faced being delisted if the Tigers had not come to the party regarding his payments for next season.

Of Bourke's estimated salary of $225,000, it is understood Richmond will cough up $200,000.

Last season, Richmond and Sydney came to a mutually beneficial arrangement regarding the trades of Nick Daffy and Greg Stafford.

It is understood the Tigers paid $100,000 of Daffy's estimated $175,000 salary at Sydney.

And the Swans paid $100,000 of Stafford's estimated $375,000 contract at Punt Rd.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/fo...5E20322,00.html

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Murray 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It just gets better and better.
No only do we get OUR Woey the Silvertails pay us for the pleasure.
Sort of like a whore paying the punter for the experience.

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:40 am

Bloody hell! No wonder North didn't delist Bourke - he may be a hack, but they're only paying him $25000 anyway, with Richmond coughing up an unbelievably high figure of $200000 for a shit player. Can you believe these guys are earning these incredible amounts?

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:09 am

i thought they said they were going 2 do that anyway?
anyway its still funny as! imagine their supporters annoyance, lol they were just cooling down from losing him now they find out about this too!! LOL LOL

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:36 am

thought the dees paying that amount was always part of the deal? hardly a 'revelation' as The Sun puts it. richmond had a bad run obvioulsy - paying for Bourke and Daffy. gotta wonder why guys like these and metropolis($290K a year!!!) get this sort of money. good managers or shocking club administration?

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:01 am

i think it is disgusting how a players salary is thrown around in the media for the general public to see. What a player is payed is between them and the club and should not be spoken about or printed for all to see. This reporter should be taken to task on this one, it happens way too much.....I mean how would you like it if everybody had access to how much you were paid each week for your profession. It is a complete invasion of privacy and all of this stuff should not be discussed period!!

Cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:06 am

i'd get a bucket load of sympathy if people knew how much i get a week.
in fairness to the reporter, they do just that - report. the dees came out last week and stated woey's salary. the press shouldnt have to ignore that out of any ethical dilemma. its up to the club to protect its players(past or present) and, rightly so, woey was far from impressed with the dees and from what i heard was seeking legal advice.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:08 am

NP, it goes with the territory. It's like saying that Carey is unlucky with his situation last year. If you want to play AFL footy you are going to be in the limelight and to a certain degree you are owned by the public. We all know when Julia Roberts gets 20 mill for a movie...its just the same sort of thing. If may not be "right" but that's the way it is.

Footy players, whether we like it or not, are in the public domain, therefore these things will always be public.

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:14 am

In a business sense nthn pie its called accountability. Because members are financial 'share holders' of clubs, i think that they deserve to know what their club's 'investments' are, and that revealing them now gives their members a chance to forget before membership buying time. kanga members deserve to know why such a hack is still playing for their club. its bad for bitchmond and melb though, these disclosures, but would we really want woewodin if we were paying him $400,000 a year or whatever?

clubs take membership very seriously these days. nth saw what happened to their 'shares' when the carey thing came out. they plummetted, people didnt renew or invest for the first time. any coincidence that all the carlton stuff comes out now? no, collins wants the carlton people to have a fresh start, doesnt want this coming up midyear.

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Rowdy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:16 pm

Best news I've read lately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: