Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood: Leading the way financially

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:04 am
Post subject: Collingwood: Leading the way financiallyReply with quote

Mega Pies Jackpot
15 November 2002 Herald Sun
By MIKE SHEAHAN

THE revival of the empire is complete. Collingwood's best on-field season since 1990 has produced a record $1.56 million trading surplus.

A Grand Final appearance has been complemented by a profit of $1,563,787.

It is the second successive $1 million-plus result, following $1.08 million in 2001.

Collingwood is stronger on and off the field than it has been for more than 10 years.

Chief executive Greg Swann said yesterday: "In the current economic and, more so, football climate, it's a big number; it's a good result."

The figure reflects significant increases in membership and merchandising income, and includes the first of seven annual $300,000 instalments from the AFL from the sale of Waverley Park.

Income from membership soared by $675,000, a tribute to the club's vigorous drive between seasons. Merchandising income, boosted by the club's first finals appearances since 1994, provided an extra $350,000, yet gate receipts were down $250,000.

Turnover climbed to $24.8 million, but increased football costs jumped by $1 million, only partially offset by the $675,000 increase in the AFL dividend.

Swann said the result reflected on-ground improvement and efficient management. "We've got a fantastic finance team led by Terry Dillon," he said.

Hawthorn and now Collingwood have bucked the trend of dismal results from Victorian clubs. The Hawks' lack of on-field success in 2002 didn't mirror its stellar work behind the scenes, confirming a profit of $1.2 million yesterday.

Essendon, Geelong and Richmond also recorded smaller profits in an otherwise dismal year for Victorian clubs.

The Western Bulldogs were the worst-performed side in the AFL, slumping to a record loss of $2.8 million and forced to slash costs.

Things weren't much better at the Kangaroos, either, the struggling club expected to lose up to $2 million, while St Kilda confirmed it will finish $1.5 million in the red.

Fremantle ($1.5 million) and Sydney ($1 million) were the only interstate clubs to record losses.

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Murray 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent result.
They can say what ever they like about Eddie, but he is brilliant at getting the right people for the job. Remember where we were financialy in the mid 80's, we were rattling tins. Things started to go that way again in the early 90's under McAlister, then we stagnated until the great man revived us to a point where we are now one of the most profitable clubs in the league.
As a voting member Eddie will always get my support.

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:50 am

Craig,

This was the initial post about the financial success of Collingwood.

JDF

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:05 am

Sensational effort by everyone at Pie land. Just goes to show that Collingwood leads the way. $25M revenue is amazing! No doubt Eddie's place as a celebrity helps to bring in the bucks. The effort by the dorks is quite surprising, but good for them they've turned it around. Now if only we didn't have the others sucking everyone else dry the whole comp would benefit.

Go Pies!
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:30 am

as great as ed has been for us, good to see a bit of recognition for greg swann.

Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:38 am

The Pies are going from strength to strength....

When the cashflow is high the good times generally follow!

Good to see the backend is being well look after!

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:36 am

The actual Media Release from CFC:

MEDIA RELEASE

Collingwood today announced an operating profit for the 2002 Season of $1.56 million.

The result confirms Collingwood's position as the biggest sporting club in Australia.

More people attended Collingwood matches, and watched Collingwood matches on television, than any other sporting club in Australia.

All key performance areas - membership, merchandise, events, corporate sales, on-line marketing and sponsorship have all experienced strong growth over the past three years.

The profit is the second successive record profit for the club coming on the back of a $1.08 million operating profit on 2001.

Collingwood CEO Greg Swann said, "We have established a very professional administration and this is a tremendous result achieved in a very competitive and difficult market.

Much of the credit must go to our passionate and loyal members and we look forward to the future with great anticipation."

Nicki Malady

JDF

Mcgoughs_gurl 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:43 am

YAYAYAY go the pies well done guys great to see we made a profit!!

~**Mcgoughs_gurl**~
McGoughs Biggest fan or so i've been told!
jk- i have come to the conclusion that i would like to marry McGough only thing is that i dont think he'd want me dammit! haha
http://groups.msn.com/CFCclub

MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:03 am

Thats absolutely fantastic. Man i bet clubs like the bulldogs and kangaroos (deliberatly typed in lower case) are spewing. I'm not surpresed at the profit though, a GF appearance generates huge merchandise profits and as for the rest, our board are by far the most superior and 1 million dollar profits are standard to them. Well done ppl.

Makes u even prouder (if thats possible) to be Black and White!

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:18 pm

YAAAAAAAAY I just read that on collingwoodfc.com.au and im like yaay we are so good!
Collingwood is the best team ever by far in so many ways!
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan~* *~Jarrod 4 Copeland 2003!~*

"I used to love seeing past players. Seeing them now and saying hello gives you a huge buzz. The passion and tradition around the club is fantastic and I love the way Collingwood supporters go about it- it certainly helps the way I play."- Jarrod Molloy

*~SeCrEt SqUiRrEl & gUaCaMoLeS 4EvA!~*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:39 pm

Well done Collingwood, on and off the field COLLINGWOOD RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

COLLINGWOOD FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://magpiemad.magpies.net/
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:10 pm

What great news....

What a mighty effort.... Congratulations Eddie, Greg Swann, Mighty Mick and everyone else involved in achieving such an awesome result....not forgetting our wonderful team...

COLLINGWOOD - SIMPLY THE BEST!!-

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WERE there)
carlabuckley_05 Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:20 pm

don't forget about us!! the supporters! ..cause without us, there would be no collingwood....
no merchandise sales...no membership sales and no internet hits!! GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carla

there are two types of people ... those that barrack for collingwood ... and those that wish they did ...
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:19 am

Quote from article:
"The Western Bulldogs were the worst-performed side in the AFL, slumping to a record loss of $2.8 million and forced to slash costs.

Things weren't much better at the Kangaroos, either, the struggling club expected to lose up to $2 million, while St Kilda confirmed it will finish $1.5 million in the red."

Unquote.

Interesting that those 3 sides have produced huge losses. Am I right in saying that only Essenscum have produced a profit, albeit a meagre one, from the teams that have Coronial as their home ground?
If this is indeed so, I look forward to Ian Collins welcoming Carlscum to their final resting place!!

-Craig

Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:44 am

hmmm

great result, no doubt about that, but I think they're damn lucky we had such a good year.

gate receipts down 250 000 - probably due to the new TV deal amoungst other things - and football costs up one million, when you take into account the extra merchandise that is generated by the grandfinal appearance (most of the 350 000) and the 300 000 bucks from the afl, it's really only a 900 000 'profit' which is less than last year.

I know - don't start bagging me - that we budgeted for the afl money, and that 900 000 bucks is still a terrific result, but I worry about the increase in costs so much.

having not seen the books one can only speculate, but how much of our salary cap did we use this year as apposed to last year? would've increased I reckon, and could've been that million dollar difference.

something else good to look forward to is that cause we're going so well on field membership will probably keep increasing, but this will probably just offset the increase in player payments.

sorry if I put a dampner on it but that's my honest opinion. don't get me wrong, it's a good result especially compared to some other culbs, but it's perhaps not as good as it looks.

- Ben

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: