Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Woey fuming at Dees

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:52 am
Post subject: Woey fuming at DeesReply with quote

more a melbourne issue than collingwood but hopefully its distancing poor woey further from the Dees with every passing day. there will be few more determined players in the comp next year who are out to prove a point. why would the dees drop off woey but want to keep powell? (and then still lose him).

Woewodin fuming at Demons
6:09:54 PM Wed 13 November, 2002
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au

Former Melbourne midfielder and 2000 Brownlow Medallist Shane Woewodin is fuming that the Demons have published a letter that provided information about how much he would have been paid had he not been traded to Collingwood.

Woewodin, 26, was controversially traded to the Magpies for selection No.16 in the upcoming National AFL Draft, after the Demons believed that Woewodin was costing the club far too much money and they needed to alleviate salary cap pressure.

Melbourne officials signed an open letter on demons.com.au about his trading to Collingwood in the recent exchange period.

“I’m filthy at the club for doing it and I don’t know what we’re going to do. My manager and I will speak about it, but it was pretty downright rude I thought,” Woewodin told Channel Ten.

“Your contract stuff is very confidential and no player or anybody in the public knows about it, so I don’t know what’s going to happen at this stage.”

But the letter – signed by coach Neale Daniher, football manager Danny Corcoran and board member Stephen Bickford – was designed for outraged supporters, who couldn’t understand why one of the club’s most popular players was off-loaded to Collingwood.

And although the club has offered an explanation for Woewodin’s trading, the letter upset the 2000 Melbourne best and fairest winner, who said it was unacceptable for the club to point out how much he would have earned had the club kept him.

Woewodin said he had not spoken to Daniher or Corcoran and would not do so.

RELATED CONTENT
The letter on demons.com.au

Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And so he should be filthy on the Dees for doing this.
It appears that the backlash from ordinary melbourne supporters may be affecting their membership drive, why else would you try and justify your trading by publishing a players contract?

I've been very quiet on the Woey trade, as I'm not convinced we have got ourselves a good deal. Why you ask?
Because, if we aer paying him more than 50% of what he was expecting over the next 2 years, then we are being ripped off!
Here is a player of one seasons highlights. He failed to finish in the top 10 of the dees B&F the last 2 years.
Why do we spend 6+ months abusing the white rabbits, only to applaud their selection as our competitions best player? So, did Woey win lots of media awards in his brownose year, or was it only the rabbits that thought he was so good? Check it out, you'll be suprised.
I fear we will regret giving up selection 14**.

-Craig

** note, adjustment for the filth losing picks 1 & 2!! hahahahaha!

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:16 pm

maybe craig....but a proven midfielder at his best and atthe very least, a bloke with a brownlow who will command respect from the opposition, hopefully freeing up a scotland or obree etc even if woey himself is having a bad day. can never gaurantee that with a pick 14 or 16 in any draft.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:09 pm

pick 16 for woewodin? I'd take that. it's terrible to say BUT, we can afford him under the cap for a couple of years at the high price. and we can afford him money wise, it's a gamble, but I think if he turns out to be ordinary then we haven't lost too much, and if he turns out to be good, we gain a heap.

if, after hte two years he's got left on his contract or whatever time it is, he's playing not as good as 450 000 bucks warrants, we renegotiate at a lower price.

haven't lost much, pick 16 isn't gonna get you much, neither is pick 14, woey is a good bet imo.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:22 pm

My thoughts exactly Ben!

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
*ORZA* 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:18 pm

Collingwood re-negotiated his contract for a lower wage and I think it was for three years. He will be a very good player for us with his pace through the midfield.

And what makes it all better is my best mate supports Melbourne and he was devastated. after the trade was done I called to tell him I'll drop around to pick up his Woewodin posters. He didn't think it was as funny as I did.

Murray 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:55 am

I think Ramjet21 hit the point exactly.
If a team leaves him unguarded he is good enough to cut loose.
Which means he will need to be tagged, which free up either Bucks, O'B, Lica, Burnsie or someone else.
Lets face pick 14 unless they are exceptional (a Josh, Lonie or McG etc) will take sometime to establish themselves in any team. We have a ready made who can play now.

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: