Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

we are nobodies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mka 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:30 pm
Post subject: we are nobodiesReply with quote

I am sick of victorian clubs being treated as second class citizens. If we all had the same salary cap & player rules as brisbane & sydney we would have a real chance of being dominant.
The afl take victorian supporters for granted as they rely on our passion , so that no matter how they treat us we will still go, we wil still follow our clubs etc.
I think it is time we stood up to them. If we sent a letter to jackson it will go in the bin.
But i wonder if 1000 supporters from each melbourne team wrote to some of the corporate sponsers of the afl, and stated how we would not by/use their products, if this would not get us some attention.
what do you think?

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno- all i know is if the pies hadnt made the grand final, the AFL would be in deep s***.

They need us more than we need them.

[This message has been edited by Northern Pie (edited 01 November 2002).]
Murray 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:00 am

mka - I agree entirely with your point of view, because I reckon you are really Eddie!

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

PenshurstPie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:38 pm

I have seen on Craig's postings re Craig Bradley what happens to posters who don't toe the Party line, but here goes anyway.

Just a statistic.
Of the sixteen players traded, fifteen were returning home.

That's OK for Vic, SA and WA teams; there is s teadt supply of available talent to fill the hole. But for the Swans & the Lions there are very few.

We Pie fans have got ourselves into a right frenzy because ONE player wanted to leave our club to return home. For the Swans and the Lions it is an issue every season for virtually exery player on the list.

Maybe Mick's solution of an AFL fund for the Swans and The Lions is a better one. But the draft works much better for the established states than for the developing ones and those yeams do need help in retaining players.

OK I'll just paint a target around my private parts and await the darts.

PS I love the Pies, so don't say anything to insinuate anyhting else.

mka 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:32 pm

1- i am not eddy.
2- 3 players moved to states that were not their home states.These were Caracella, damian atkins & brooks that went to St Kilda is from King Island but was playing for Tasmania before port ad.
Lets not forget that Brisabne got players from their home state as draft concessions. 2 of these were voss & ackermanis, along with ashcroft who has played over 200 games and white who they got as a concession from the NT.They also got fitzroy players. They got keating& copeland for local comp, they have a rookie list each year of 6 (others get 4)They get father & son picks from both Fitzroy & players who s father has played ex amout of games in Brisbane. These include Johnathon Brown, Steven Lawrence (now stKilda) a kid called Shane Morrison who is supposedly another key position player.
People forget that they got Alister Lynch from Fitzroy as a pre season draft pick the same way collingwood got obree. For nothing. Who was crying then.
They lost Headland (but received caracella& pick 5) so i suggest they lost little. Yes they lost Obree for nothing, and voss jnr (no loss) they got mal michael for Malloy. They fitted pike into their list when kangaroos got rid of him because of salary issues. They lost Buckley but were rewarded with a 1st & 2nd round draft pick & players at the time.
What i am saying is when they loose players it is generally not for no return. They have been well compensated.
As i said the afl takes for granted that we will still keep going because of our passion for our team. They are not concerned about us a supporters. They only care about Brisbane & Sydney supporters. There is no doubt the afl would love Sydney more than anybody to win 2003 flag & brisbane to be right up their. We are nobodies
01 November 2002 22:27

Afro-Orfa Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:53 am

Of course you are right ... the AFL should be looking after the state that produces the majority of the players and supporters of the competition. Chasing after success in the Northern states is forgetting that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush !!!

Go Pies!

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:36 am

Surely common sense would prevail here. It comes down to player management too. Surely the AFL will place a % figure on the number of players from interstate at a club.

If Brisbane can claim an extra 500k on their cap then we should be able to claim more on ours too, based on a ratio, ie if brisbane have 20 players on their list that are not from brisbane and they receive 250k, then I say that a melbourne club that has 10 players on their list that are not from melbourne should receive 125k extra....that way its fair.

There is just as much risk for a player at any club in australia to say "I want to go home," therefore if clubs are to be financed against this risk then it should run across the board on a "No. of foreign players per club"....say 20k extra in the cap per non local player or something.

I hope all that made sense.

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:37 am

Perfect sense Blanch.
So much so that I would encourage you to forward it to Ed, CFC and the AFL. Certainly sounds fairer than the current system.

-Craig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: