Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fabulous Phil Carman

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find Hafey had a reputation for "over-training" the Team before ALL finals games.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Lazza wrote:
If Tom Hafey hadn't trained the absolute bloody crap out of the 1977 team between the tied grand final and the replay, the result WOULD have been different. They needed freshening up, not further torture on the track and the players were totally stuffed in the replay. Just ask any of them and they’ll tell you!
BTW, fantastic post Pies4shaw. Tremendous points that ring true with me too. I still haven't forgiven the 'pies for letting fabulous Phil go!! Geez, Collingwood has done some REALLY stupid things in our history and this was one of the biggest ones.

Lazza, i think you are confusing the 77 GF with the 80 GF, Hafey ran the team into the ground on the thursday night before the 80 GF, not the 77 one, i am pretty sure on that one. I am not referring to the replay,the first GF is the one we should have won in 77 with carman in the team,but he wasnt, and we got done. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

Ooops! I think you are right. My bad. Apologies.

I'm pretty sure that I read that we were over trained big time between the draw and replay in 77. Hafey flogged our players on the track and as a result we were flat as tacks in the replay.

that doesn't change the fact that we should have won the first GF with or without Carmen. With him, absolutely.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Mossi wrote:
Very Happy I thought Greening was better! But one of the best 5 Collingwood players I have ever watched. Remember the anticipation in the Crowd when Phil was anywhere near the ball!! Imagine if Daics, Phil and Greening were all playing in the 1979-1981 Grand finals!!

now you've got me drooling... what a prospect.. i'd agree about Greening, definitely better although the one caviat is that Carmen played CHF which is a much more difficult position.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:55 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Lazza wrote:
If Tom Hafey hadn't trained the absolute bloody crap out of the 1977 team between the tied grand final and the replay, the result WOULD have been different. They needed freshening up, not further torture on the track and the players were totally stuffed in the replay. Just ask any of them and they’ll tell you!
BTW, fantastic post Pies4shaw. Tremendous points that ring true with me too. I still haven't forgiven the 'pies for letting fabulous Phil go!! Geez, Collingwood has done some REALLY stupid things in our history and this was one of the biggest ones.

Lazza, i think you are confusing the 77 GF with the 80 GF, Hafey ran the team into the ground on the thursday night before the 80 GF, not the 77 one, i am pretty sure on that one. I am not referring to the replay,the first GF is the one we should have won in 77 with carman in the team,but he wasnt, and we got done. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

Lazza is correct pnc. After the draw, Hafey was furious with the team and worked them into the ground before the replay. In reality one of the main reasons we didn't winthe first 77 grand final was because some of our players, especially Kink, were not fit enough and ran out of puff. Regardless of Carman's absence we were 3-4 goals up at 3/4 time, so should have gone on to win, but we ran out of legs.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:16 am

jackcass wrote:
Mossi wrote:
Very Happy I thought Greening was better! But one of the best 5 Collingwood players I have ever watched. Remember the anticipation in the Crowd when Phil was anywhere near the ball!! Imagine if Daics, Phil and Greening were all playing in the 1979-1981 Grand finals!!

now you've got me drooling... what a prospect.. i'd agree about Greening, definitely better although the one caviat is that Carmen played CHF which is a much more difficult position.

No doubt about Phil Played the more difficiult position! He was taller and bigger than JG and when he wanted to, just dominated, He had an aura about the way he went about it. He would fend off his opponent with ease and grab the pill out of the air a bit like Travis! (White boots and all he was a super kick!) people forget how good a contested posession player he was..... Getting carried away here....
But the thought of Greening on the wing .. Daics in the centre (although he would have been still young) and Phil at CHF... We would have been unbeatable!
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:22 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Lazza is correct pnc. After the draw, Hafey was furious with the team and worked them into the ground before the replay. In reality one of the main reasons we didn't winthe first 77 grand final was because some of our players, especially Kink, were not fit enough and ran out of puff. Regardless of Carman's absence we were 3-4 goals up at 3/4 time, so should have gone on to win, but we ran out of legs.

spot on Rudeboy! Hafey strong point in getting the hardness out of the team worked until he went over the top..... We were flat in most of those Grand Finals. I don't think Tom really knew physical limits, his motivation skills however were second to none!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:26 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Rudeboy, mate i agree with you the first one should have been a win even without Carman, but the fact remains had he played in that game,the draw, he would have at least kicked a point, and a point would have won us the flag. Thats what sticks in my craw, but such is life. Mad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:03 pm

And more Carman gold from 2010 for bumpskis...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:45 pm

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-04-01/40-years-on-fabulous-phil-debuts

Here's a fine article about the most talented footballer I ever saw.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-04-01/40-years-on-fabulous-phil-debuts

Here's a fine article about the most talented footballer I ever saw.

The reason for my first ever man crush...... Laughing Absolutely loved him.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:38 pm

If Daics, Carman and Greening had been in the same team we would have won multiple flags and that's a stone cold certainty.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 pm

The only caveat being that Carman had received the worlds first brain transplant by then.
crass 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Fantastic Phil was amazing...

if John Greening and Gary Tredrea ( Dad of Port player Tredrea) hadn't had their careers cut short by injury and Phil...we would have won a flag!!!!

just a thought...

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:57 pm

crass wrote:
Fantastic Phil was amazing...

if John Greening and Gary Tredrea ( Dad of Port player Tredrea) hadn't had their careers cut short by injury and Phil...we would have won a flag!!!!

just a thought...

You've delved a few years back into the archives to find this one crass Smile

What a player he was we all loved him.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:14 am

kickit2me wrote:
Did you ask the question "Why Phil, why" Joffa?

A Wizard player, brilliant, but brainless, he hit tuck right in front of the umpire, and cost us the 1977 flag, the drawn grannie. He was at his peak then, he would have dominated that grannie, we would have bolted it in by eight goals or so, easy. Hafey stated often he cost us the flag, and he cleared him at the end of 78 to the deees, he had lost patience with him and his giant ego. Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: