Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It's official GWS licence is signed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two_Pies Capricorn

Dougie Barwick tough as nails !!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 am
Post subject: It's official GWS licence is signedReply with quote

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=99214

MONEY MONEY MONEY

RAS Showgrounds for their homeground Shocked

... a licence to what is my question ?? Discuss ...

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the AFL just made a BIG mistake today
Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Great stuff! Not only will i get to see the Pies twice a year in Sydney instead of 1, we'll get a live game up here each week and generate more interest in AFL in the paper and via broadcasts. The snowball effect will be more juniors taking up the game, playing in schools and attending games. Sure it's going to take a few years (5-15 maybe) but this is a strategic decision that will be great for the code imo.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:50 pm
Post subject: Re: It's official GWS licence is signedReply with quote

Two_Pies wrote:

MONEY MONEY MONEY

The license to win a Premiership funded by the AFL.

DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:56 pm

As i said in my soapbox in my preview:

I just took a trip to Sydney over last weekend and was absolutely amazed at how little attention the footy gets over there. I always knew League dominated the press, but didn’t realise how little people care about the game. It is still referred to by many as ‘GAYFL’ and I was actually teased for following the sport.

In fact, I was unable to get any footy scores whatsoever until Sunday night when I called my parents. The news bulletin did not provide any footy updates. The only highlight was the fact Channel 10 showed the Collingwood game on Saturday afternoon. Channel 7 did not show the Friday night game until 11:30, and there was no talk about it in the news the following day.

I’m sure the AFL have done their due diligence, but I just can’t see new South Wales sustaining a 2nd team. Funnily enough, whilst waiting for a plane I came across a Tasmania Newspaper. The back 5 pages were all dedicated to AFL, and League did not even rate a mention. I know which state I would give the footy to.

Two_Pies Capricorn

Dougie Barwick tough as nails !!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 pm
Post subject: Re: It's official GWS licence is signedReply with quote

joffa corfe wrote:
Two_Pies wrote:

MONEY MONEY MONEY

The license to win a Premiership funded by the AFL.

Spot on Mr Corfe !! And from all reports also funded by us Shocked

the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Should've gone to Tassy. In 10 years the AFL will see they failed on this. The first 9 years they will say its a "building phase".
Precarious 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:02 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
In fact, I was unable to get any footy scores whatsoever until Sunday night when I called my parents. The news bulletin did not provide any footy updates. The only highlight was the fact Channel 10 showed the Collingwood game on Saturday afternoon. Channel 7 did not show the Friday night game until 11:30, and there was no talk about it in the news the following day.

Free-to-air coverage of AFL in Sydney is no worse than free-to-air coverage of rugby league.

This weekend we get Collingwood v Carlton live Saturday afternoon, Sydney v Geelong on 30 minute delay Saturday night, Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne live Sunday afternoon.

You're right about the Friday night game being late (11:30), and if the Saturday night game didn't involve the Swans it would also be quite late (about 10:30). Still, it's not that bad if you can sleep in over the weekend. You can listen to the night games on radio (ABC News Radio, or take your pick of stations at AFL.com.au) and then watch the replay in full afterwards on TV. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's not that bad.

Also, when the Swans game is on Fox, we get five games on free to air (three live or near live and two late at night).

With two Sydney teams, hopefully there will be more near-live Saturday night games, with one or other of the teams playing at home each weekend.

By way of comparison, there are only three free-to-air NRL games shown each weekend. Two on Friday night (7:30 and 9:30) and one on Sunday afternoon.

Personally, I think the AFL is right to bring in GWS. Sydney is large geographically and pretty diverse culturally. There are areas of the north-west (e.g. Hills Dictrict) and south-west that have some aussie rules history. Large parts of the greater west are where young families tend to live for affordability reasons. They are not necessarily from the area originally, and many are probably open-minded when it comes to the sports their kids will play.

The "GayFL" tag is pretty lame, and will only seem lamer in time with generational change. The user of such a term just comes across as bigoted. Even now, calling the game "gay" would be considered a compliment in some parts of Sydney. Smile In many other parts it is not much of an insult. Homophobia is not likely to hold much sway with young parents. (Incidentally, soccer faces similar childish homophobic jibes. It doesn't stop kids playing the game.)

I do think it will be interesting to see if GWS can win over blue-collar people. Football in Sydney is more divided than in Melbourne, and it is partly a political divide. League is traditionally seen as a working-class game in which people have a strong belief in a fair go, loyalty, etc. Union is primarily upper middle-class, private-school educated, etc. The positioning and early marketing of the Swans, and the club's support base, may have contributed to a misperception that AFL is a rich person's sport rather than a game for everyone. This of course is not the case in the AFL states, where the game is popular across the classes. And it need not be the case in Sydney, but the perception may be that way at the moment. The fact the AFL has more money to throw around than the NRL may also add to that impression.

As for the main newspapers, I agree with you that the coverage is poor. I think it is partly a reflection of the threat AFL poses to NRL people. The response is to quasi-ban coverage of the sport to prevent it succeeding. I don't think it will work in the long run. It's easy enough to get superior AFL coverage – or news coverage in general, for that matter – on the internet. If you get people, especially kids, interested in the game at school or at local clubs, they will seek out the news they want online if the newspapers won't provide it for them.

I'm surprised you couldn't find AFL scores on the evening news. Your best bet would have been C10, SBS, ABC – in that order. I would have thought C7 and C9 would at least report the results in the evening bulletins, but I never watch news on those channels so I couldn't say for sure.

BTW Dave, I always enjoy reading your preview of the pies game each week. It makes up for the lack of a decent newspaper up here. Smile
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 pm

All good points precarious. I was watching the Channel 9 news and they made no mention. I actually got the results on the Sunday morning bulletin on Channel 7 as they had the news scroll at the bottom of the screen.
Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Well written once again Dave, are you getting better money now for the preview from the site?

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:18 pm

What they signed today was not a license. Licenses are paid for. All the interstate sides of the past paid $4 million for the privilege of joining the AFL. Not these pathetic teams, they paid zilch.

What was signed today was a death warrant. A death warrant for the Sydney Swans in the short-term and a death warrant to the AFL in the longer-term. It's inevitable that as the AFL gouges the rich clubs to prop up these mickey mouse clubs there will be an irresistible move to form a breakaway Superleague.

So RIP in hell AFL! Twisted Evil

Oh, and a Western Syndey team is going to play at the show grounds? Laughing

Well bugger me stupid if this is not an attempt to steal supporters from the Swans because they know three things for certain about Western Sydney:

(1) They are NOT interested in AFL.

(2) They are too poor to buy memberships.

and you can add to that, (3) they sure as hell won't travel to inner Sydney to watch "their" team. Laughing

No wonder they hired Sheedy. Only a madman would front this fiasco! Laughing Laughing Laughing
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:27 pm

Oh one more thing. NSW is so stupid they keep re-electing the equivalent of a political dinosaur, the ALP, which keeps digging them into a bigger hole.

So reviled is the position of premier in NSW by the Labor party, they had to draft a Yank (yes, a Yank) to run the show. Thankfully she and her government will be completely wiped out at the next state election. In the meantime though, how do NSW feel being the suckers of the AFL chipping in all those millions at the AFL's bidding into the showgrounds (at least $45 million), when you already have a perfectly serviceable stadium at the Olympic site?

And they can't even make the trains run on time, so how are people meant to get to the games. Rolling Eyes
magpiefanatic 

Aged Pensioner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Millane42 wrote:
Great stuff! Not only will i get to see the Pies twice a year in Sydney instead of 1, we'll get a live game up here each week and generate more interest in AFL in the paper and via broadcasts. The snowball effect will be more juniors taking up the game, playing in schools and attending games. Sure it's going to take a few years (5-15 maybe) but this is a strategic decision that will be great for the code imo.

No No No...I live in Sydney too, and all that means is we will only get to watch Swans & GWS matches live. They are the last 2 teams I would want to watch. I prefer to watch Collingwood as much as possible plus the other top Vic teams play against each other than just the 2 locals and who they play.
raymond35 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:36 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
All good points precarious. I was watching the Channel 9 news and they made no mention. I actually got the results on the Sunday morning bulletin on Channel 7 as they had the news scroll at the bottom of the screen.

Dave, you discovered why those of us in QLD and NSW loathe ch 9 and dread them ever getting the AFL rights again. For 5 years we put up with games being shown at 2:00 in the morning.

Millane42 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Well in response to the negative comments on this thread - the AFL have to start somewhere, if NSW has a population to support another team which they do 5 million+ and growing - it makes economic and financial sense to try and convert people to the game. Tassie is far too small, just like Canberra, couldn't support the team and help keep them financial.

With more people turning on, then the networks would be wise to promote the coverage. especially if a $1 billion deal is completed.

The Swans have a core 25,000 support base. There are people up here that watch AFL, and may even prefer a start up club than a relocated club from somewhere else. Many AFL fans up here follow other teams: i.e. Pies, Bulldogs, Bombers, and I'm sure they would adopt GWS as a 2nd team and go and watch some live footy.

You gotta remember that most of the journos are NRL bias and the editors try and keep the AFL news out of the tv and papers. The AFL are trying to move into the market and the NRL hierarchy and media are intimidated and threatened. They are trying to protect league because they know the structure and finances are brittle. This is a huge cultural change that the AFL are taking on.

I for one hope they succeed. I also go online for all my footy news which is easy to access: realfooty, heraldsun footy, afl.com.au, nick's, collingwood site. I have Fox so I've got live games on 518 on friday and saturday nights, replays, foxnews. If you are an AFL fan it's actually quite easy to stay abreast of all AFL news in Sydney.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: