Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies now keen on a Bomber

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coxonator 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:49 am
Post subject: Pies now keen on a BomberReply with quote

Pies now keen on a Bomber
3:42:45 PM Fri 25 October, 2002
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Collingwood will now turn its attention towards securing one of Essendon’s star trio Blake Caracella, Justin Blumfield or Chris Heffernan to boost its midfield after missing out on Kane Johnson.

The Magpies had been desperate to secure the dual premiership Crows wingman but instead he went to Richmond on Friday in a complicated three way deal that also ensured Wayne Carey would officially become a Crow with Jason Torney also heading back to South Australia.

However the Magpies are far from giving up on boosting their midfield which was too heavily reliant on skipper Nathan Buckley and dual best and fairest winner Paul Licuria this season, even though the club so nearly pulled off a shock premiership win over Brisbane in the grand final.

Collingwood player development manager Mark Kleimann said coming up with an offer to convince Essendon to release one of its star midfielders would now be the Magpies’ top priority until the trading period finished at 2pm on Monday.

Kleimann said the Magpies had yet to decide who would be their top priority out of the trio although speculation is linking them closely with Caracella.

“They all would offer something,” Kleimann said of the Bombers’ trio. “I think any of them could be contributors to our team.”

The Bombers are desperate to release at least one of the trio to ease their salary cap pressures in much the same way as they were forced to release tough backman Damien Hardwick to Port Adelaide last year for the same reason.

All three players are believed to be on $200,000 plus at Essendon and although all three were key members of the 2000 premiership team – none of them could finish in the top ten in the Bombers’ best and fairest this season.

But what makes the three players attractive to rival clubs is they all still have plenty of football left in front of them.

Caracella, at 25, is the oldest of the trio and has played 126 games while Blumfield, who turns 25 next month, has played 129 games.

Heffernan is two years younger and has played just 97 games and is considered expendable by the Bombers despite having just signed a new three contract to stay with the club this year.

All three were targets for criticism by Bombers’ fans during the season as Essendon slumped from runners-up in 2001 to beaten semi-finalists this year.

But it appears as though football fans are divided over which of the trio Essendon could most do without – according to a poll question on afl.com.au on Friday.

Nearly half the respondents – 48 per cent – named Heffernan as the player the Bombers should release while 29 per cent said Blumfield and 23 per cent nominated Caracella.

All three players were recruited to Essendon by much-respected recruiter Noel Judkins, who is now Collingwood’s recruiting manager.

Go the mighty Pies in 2003!!!!

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm interesting read.
i wonder what they will give up to get one of these players though...

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:55 am

I wouldnt call all three stars. I think a lot of people are too quick to presume that just because they play for Essendon they are stars. All i will say is that Kevin Sheedy is a very good salesman. If he organises a trade for Alessio the man is a genius.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:26 am

Isn't Heffernan going to Brissy in the Headland Trade?

I reckon Blumfield would be good valvue, but he wouldn't add pace to our midfield, which is what we need more.

I don' tknow, the midfield was ok this year, why change it? The young guys will step up, or at least a couple of them, and a few more coming through, do we really need them?

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Coxonator 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:30 am

All three are versatile and can play a variety of roles forward or back without being restricted to just the midfield.

People on this site are gonna be thinkin i wanna head the Blake Caracella cheer squad but i'm tellin ya he's the one we want!!!!

Go the mighty Pies in 2003!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: