Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

vs Coburg at Coburg on Sunday

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out to Coburg today to watch the boys, as I was in the city anyway.

My thoughts;

SENIOR LISTED PLAYERS

3. John McCarthy; Started slowly, but gradually got into the game. Was very good in the second half, and set up the match sealing goal by taking on 2 players and kicking the ball 50 metres onto the chest of Reed.

7. Paul Medhurst; HE'S BACK. BOG for mine, controlled everything that came near him, and kicked the 3 goals. Was outstanding, and great to see they took him off with 10 minutes to go.

11. Shane O'Bree; Started slowly also, but worked his way into the match. Would have had a heap of it in the second half. Good VFL player now, but not up to AFL anymore.

19. Cameron Wood; Great in the ruck contests, but woeful around the ground. Only took 2-3 marks, and only one of them was contested. Just doesn't seem to work hard enough.

25. Josh Fraser; Just not good enough to regain a senior position. Was "ok" early, but really was terrible in the second half, although some of his ruckwork was ok. Just didn't show any presence up forward at all, which is where he would play if he was promoted.

27. Jarrad Blight; Another player who started slow (theme of the day) but who worked himself into the game late. Has a presence about him in one on one contests, and is progressing well.

28. Ben Sinclair; Wouldn't have known he was on the ground in the first half, but his second half was outstanding. He played off half back after half time, and he was brilliant running and using the ball into attack.

29. Ryan Cook; He played like Ryan Cook, had plenty of it, but turned it over at least 5 times.

30 Brent MaCaffer; Close to BOG in the first half, but was then given a defensive role in the second half. He will push for senior selection.

37. Luke Rounds; Brilliant up forward all day, whether we had the ball or not. Deserved to kick more goals then he did (1?) but he was very good all day. Hurt his shoulder late, but returned to the ground after a while, so it shouldn't be too bad.

40. Josh Thomas; Think Jarryd Blair with more pace. I love this kid, as you all know, and today that love grew. He is tough, quick, skillful and can play in the middle without any problems. He just needs to get a little "smarter" with his decision making and he will be a great get.

41. Simon Buckley; Great second half, absolutely brilliant IMO. One of the reasons why we won easily in the end.

43. Jaxson Barham; Had a heap of it, ran hard all day, but his disposal is still woeful. Just can't see him making it as an AFL player.

ROOKIE LISTED PLAYERS

38. Scott Reed; 3 goals, and worked hard up forward all day. Is really advancing and has improved remarkably as a forward this year.

44. Lachlan Keefe; Really developing well as a key back, especially when the ball is on the ground in a contest. Has to learn to judge the ball in flight a little better, but was good in a tough role today.

45. Tom Hunter; Looked good in patches, but didn't really make an impact on the game. Looks promising though.

46. Tristan Francis; His run down from behind in the 3rd quarter was a game highlight, that resulted in a pies goal. Has pace, skill and a real "quality" about him, I can see why he is rated so highly at Collingwood.

48. Jack Carter; Played a defensive role all day, due to our absences down back, and did a good job, but was beaten one on one a few times. Is a good size, and is a good project player for the future.

49. Tom Young; Best game Young has played in a month, has been struggling a little lately, but was very good, especially in the second half.

50. Seamus McNamara; His ruckwork is excellent, probably the best on the ground, and he makes a contest when he can. Obviously has a lot to learn, but he is progressing well.

VFL LISTED;

51. Kris Pendlebury; The "rock" in our backline, played on 2-3 different opponent and did well on them all. We wouldn't have won without him today.

54. Tom Sundberg; Was very good all day, is a real "goer" who just makes a contest at every opportunity. Really helps out our young midfield in several situations where we need a player of his type.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTES;

3. Medhurst
2. MaCaffer
1. Thomas

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Medhurst and MaCaffer should come into consideration for the seniors after that performance. Rounds would have also, but they will not risk him with that sore shoulder next week.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:26 pm

lovely work matty. how close is buckley to a promotion?
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:40 pm

I'd say Buckley will get a game before the end of the year.

His problem seems to be consistency, although his short injury lay off seemed to slow him down a bit.

Hopefully he can keep his form up, he offers us even more depth.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Great report mattys123, thanks a lot.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:00 pm

great report.

Thanx.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Got Down there to see us win

Sat next to Jarrad Blair and his Misses and Mates including Danny Stanley.

So here are my Notes:

* J Thomas was Fantastic
* Medders had his best game for a while
* Reed was Good
* Wood and Fraser were passable
* it was Freezing

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:54 pm

LOL at DTM.

Question about Reed from thoise who went, I've been to a few VFL games and haven't really noticed him. He's listed at 192 cm, does he play tall or short?

My observation (or lack of notice of him) would indicate he plays short but i'm asking.

Santo Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Great report and enjoyed reading it. Other reports suggested Fraser was very good and that Wood may have been hungover from the night before. I do appreciate all reports from these games in any case :thumbsu:
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
LOL at DTM.

Question about Reed from thoise who went, I've been to a few VFL games and haven't really noticed him. He's listed at 192 cm, does he play tall or short?

My observation (or lack of notice of him) would indicate he plays short but i'm asking.

I'm calling Reed the "enigma".

He isn't a tall, he isn't a small, he's somewhat of a mixture who sometimes plays tall, and sometimes play small.

Confusing, well yes, that's why he's called the enigma.

Seriously though, he seems to have the unique ability to contest in a marking situation, then seconds later sprint away with the ball.

I compare him to Jarrad Grant from the dogs, who has blinding pace, but can also play as a conventional "tall".
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Very good likeness to Grant. Well spotted!
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Reed plays very upright and has done Micky's hard yards down in defence. He's actually kicking lots of goals down forward regularly. Has slowly learnt the game and has not seemed to stagnate at any point. The kind that flies under the radar but is probably much harder to play on than he appears.
Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:38 am

perthmagpie wrote:
Reed plays very upright and has done Micky's hard yards down in defence. He's actually kicking lots of goals down forward regularly. Has slowly learnt the game and has not seemed to stagnate at any point. The kind that flies under the radar but is probably much harder to play on than he appears.

Once again this shows how critical the rookie system is.

I think a club can always stay competitive if it approaches the rookie system as we do.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:24 am

Scotty Reed another 4 goals, kid is showing great form up forward
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:45 pm

mattys123 wrote:
I'd say Buckley will get a game before the end of the year.

His problem seems to be consistency, although his short injury lay off seemed to slow him down a bit.

Hopefully he can keep his form up, he offers us even more depth.

can you see shae getting elevated next year?
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Great report mattys123.

Photos from the game

MORE...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: