Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jumping the queue

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which illegal immigrant policy is the least worst?
Abbott's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Howard's
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Gillard's
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Rudd's
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Brown's
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to let Tannin run with this one in the main. I won't look at work today so I'll revisit this tonight.

1 point before I go to work. Any system that provides any advantage to people who choose to come here by boat, actively encourages people to engage in people smuggling. Profiteering in human misery.

Stop the boats coming, we kill off an abhorrent industry and put all the people wanting to come here back on a level playing field.

Those who have enough money and resources to get from Afghanistan to Indonesia and then pay people smugglers tens of thousands of dollars can use those same resources and money to try the front door thanks. The ones stuck in refugee camps aren't the ones on the boats.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:53 am

Unless we are prepared to sink the boats and let the so called "refugees" drown; nothing can be done to stop the influx of people wanting a better way to live.

We signed an agreement so we are basically screwed.

In saying that the fear campaign about boat people is poll driven to gain an advantage and more illegal freeloaders walk through our customs per week than what would arrive in four boat loads.

We are lucky we are on an island and it's very hard to get too. Look at the USA and UK. They virtually have no control of the slime that enters their country.

Under the United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees from 1951, a refugee is a person who (according to the formal definition in article 1A of this Convention), "owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality, and is unable to or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country".[1] The concept of a refugee was expanded by the Convention's 1967 Protocol and by regional conventions in Africa and Latin America to include persons who had fled war or other violence in their home country.

Under that definition 99% should be sent back to where they came.

I cannot believe we are in Afghanistan and not in the Sudan fixing their problems. Maybe it has something to do with there is nothing of value there.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 am

This is a really fascinating argument, and one that I realise I have never quite got my head around.

Something that always seemed reasonably clear to me was that some sort of immigrant quota is necessary. After all, you open the borders, and everyone is going to want to come here by any means possible. So, on that level, I understood that some kind of detention was necessary.

I don't think Rudd was a card-carrying xenophobe. I'd even say the same about Howard. The fact that they took more or less identical policies on these issues (Howard was a little more brutal, Rudd a little more devious) suggests to me that there is no easy solution, whatever many left-wingers might say. On that level, I agree with the gist of Tannin's arguments: we need immigration rules, and we must take pains not to give incentives to people smugglers and illegal immigrants.

I think both sides are arguing this vigorously and intelligently, however (something we should never take for granted on Nick's!), so I'm fascinated to see how the arguments develop.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:35 am

Quota's mean sweet FA when people can come in legally and simply stay.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 am

^ And that is, in fact, how most illegal immigration happens.

Let's return to the question of boats. I am happy to quote a document from the Refugee Council of Australia here (the information is well sourced) to counter some myth-making. I think I have already answered the question of queues - there is no queue to jump - but to add to that:

The Refugee Council of Australia wrote:
The idea that boat people are “queue jumpers” is based on misconceptions about how Australia’s Refugee Program and the international refugee resettlement system actually work.

Australia’s Refugee Program has two components. The onshore component is for people who apply for refugee status after arriving in Australia. Most enter as visitors or students; some arrive without authorisation. The onshore component is a legal obligation which is part of Australia’s responsibilities as a signatory to the UN Refugee Convention.

Applying for protection onshore is not a means of “jumping the queue” or bypassing the “correct” process of applying for protection. In fact, applying onshore is the standard procedure for seeking protection. According to the definition in the UN Refugee Convention, refugees are persons who are outside their country of origin. This means that you cannot apply for refugee status if you are inside your own country. In order to be recognised as a refugee, you must leave your country and apply for refugee status onshore in another country. Every refugee in the world has, at some point, entered another country to seek asylum.

Because Australia receives so few onshore asylum applications, we can easily admit all of those who reach Australia who are found to be in need of protection. Dozens of poorer countries, however, receive a much larger number of refugees and require assistance from other countries to fulfil their protection obligations. Australia provides this assistance through the offshore component of our refugee program. This is a voluntary scheme under which Australia resettles recognised refugees who have been referred by the UN. The offshore component also includes a special visa category for people who might not meet the UN criteria for refugee status but who are nonetheless subject to serious human rights
abuses overseas.

The UN resettlement system does not work like a queue. The term “queue” implies that if you join the end, you are guaranteed to reach the front within a certain amount of time. This is not the case.

Refugees are prioritised for resettlement according to need, not according to how long they have been waiting. These needs fluctuate and are continuously reassessed. For example, conditions in a refugee-producing country may improve, allowing refugees from that country to return home if they wish; or conditions in a refugee-hosting country may deteriorate, placing the refugees in that country in greater need of resettlement. A person who has been in a refugee camp for one year may be prioritised for resettlement ahead of a person who has been in a camp for 10 years, if the former’s need for resettlement is greater.

In 2008, just 88,800 of the world’s 15.2 million refugees were resettled – well under 1%. If the mythical resettlement “queue” did exist and all of the world’s refugees were in it, a newly recognisedvrefugee would, on current trends, have to wait 170 years for resettlement.

Now, if you are a desperate person, trying to escape persecution and with fears for your family (or, indeed, a wish to rejoin your family) you are not going to wait a lifetime. You are going to use whatever means are available.

Last edited by Pied Piper on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:44 am

The term "Refugee" is being exploited by Human rights lawyers.
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:

BTW, Member, is Jools gonna be in the boat with me?

No, she is reported as being against same sex marraige.
And as your just a big girl..........................
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:49 pm

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1295782/Asylum-seekers-Myths-and-facts
Quote:
The public debate on asylum seekers has been focusing on boat arrivals, but government figures show that at least 96 per cent of asylum applicants arrive by plane.

Quote:
"The majority of onshore asylum seekers actually arrive in Australia by air with a valid visa and then apply for onshore protection through Australia’s humanitarian program at some stage after their arrival," the note, authored by Jane Phillips said -- referring to figures issued by the Department of Immigration

Perspective.
Colour Blind 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:07 pm

member34259 wrote:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1295782/Asylum-seekers-Myths-and-facts
Quote:
The public debate on asylum seekers has been focusing on boat arrivals, but government figures show that at least 96 per cent of asylum applicants arrive by plane.

Quote:
"The majority of onshore asylum seekers actually arrive in Australia by air with a valid visa and then apply for onshore protection through Australia’s humanitarian program at some stage after their arrival," the note, authored by Jane Phillips said -- referring to figures issued by the Department of Immigration

Perspective.

This issue will not be soothed by stats ... but I would love to know what percentage of the 96 % arriving by plane is successfull in the end verses the ones arriving by boat.

Can anyone dig that out for us?

Might be helpful to be able to put it in proper perspective, otherwise the next thought might be 'it's an easier path via boat as you have a greater chance of being housed / fed then ultimately approved on a fast track' - this is NOT my perspective so hold fire, just want to be able to decipher these statistics with genuine data.

Anyone got some facts for us ....

My stomach is infact a Pie warmer: just got to work out how to get them back out!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Which does make you wonder, if they can afford to pay 10's of thousands of dollars to people smugglers, why can't they get a holiday visa, a plane ticket and just come here and claim asylum?

While having this argument, spare a thought for the actual people smugglers. Not a bad business if you have zero morals and have some starting capital.

Buy a crappy fishing boat that may or may not be able to make it all the way to Australia, lets say $20,000.

Pay an indonesian fisherman to pilot the boat, taking the risk that he will drown or get arrested (cash up front to give to the family) say $10,000.

Charge 50 people lets say, $20,000 each to get on the boat.

Now even assuming you have to kick in a bit of extra for bribes you're still going to pocket over $800,000 on this exercise for absolutely no responsibility.

So every boat load of people we process and accept, encourages these people to seek out desperate people who're willing to pay and risk their lives. Isn't this an industry we should be trying to shut down rather than encourage? Particularly if 95% of asylum seekers arrive by air?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:22 pm

How much does it cost?
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 pm

Colour Blind wrote:

Check the link I posted.
There are figures in there if you care to read.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:10 am

Colour Blind wrote:
This issue will not be soothed by stats ... but I would love to know what percentage of the 96 % arriving by plane is successfull in the end verses the ones arriving by boat.

Can anyone dig that out for us?

Might be helpful to be able to put it in proper perspective, otherwise the next thought might be 'it's an easier path via boat as you have a greater chance of being housed / fed then ultimately approved on a fast track' - this is NOT my perspective so hold fire, just want to be able to decipher these statistics with genuine data.

According to the Refugee Council of Australia, quoting Department of Immigration and Citizenship (Annual Report 2008-09,
http://www.immi.gov.au/about/reports/annual/2008-09/html/; see Section 1.2.2.):

RCA wrote:
The majority of asylum seekers who have reached Australia by boat have been found to be genuine refugees. Between 85% and 90% have typically been found to be refugees, compared to around 40% of asylum seekers who arrive via plane with a valid visa. Between July 30 2008 and June 30 2009, 217 refugee assessments on boat arrivals were carried out on Christmas Island. Of these, 206 or 95% were approved and the applicants granted protection visas.

You are right, this issue will not be soothed by stats. But it helps to put the actual facts on the table, rather than the prevailing misinformation from those whose only interest is in seeking or holding onto political power. Then we can all have a firmer grasp on the problem, and be better informed in our views.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:12 am

stui magpie wrote:
Which does make you wonder, if they can afford to pay 10's of thousands of dollars to people smugglers, why can't they get a holiday visa, a plane ticket and just come here and claim asylum?

While having this argument, spare a thought for the actual people smugglers. Not a bad business if you have zero morals and have some starting capital.

Buy a crappy fishing boat that may or may not be able to make it all the way to Australia, lets say $20,000.

Pay an indonesian fisherman to pilot the boat, taking the risk that he will drown or get arrested (cash up front to give to the family) say $10,000.

Charge 50 people lets say, $20,000 each to get on the boat.

Now even assuming you have to kick in a bit of extra for bribes you're still going to pocket over $800,000 on this exercise for absolutely no responsibility.

So every boat load of people we process and accept, encourages these people to seek out desperate people who're willing to pay and risk their lives. Isn't this an industry we should be trying to shut down rather than encourage? Particularly if 95% of asylum seekers arrive by air?

I am not defending the people smuggling trade, but you have to understand why it exists. As explained earlier, many refugees do not have valid documentation and have no safe means of obtaining it. That can be a problem when it comes to getting in and out of airports!

Colour Blind 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 am

member34259 wrote:
Colour Blind wrote:

Check the link I posted.
There are figures in there if you care to read.

Sorry Member, that was lazy of me ...

Wow, you know once you look at those numbers - the % of genuine refugee's on these boats - then it seriously erodes the barriers I had set. I have never thought we shouldn't take genuine refugees - based on those numbers I am a little numbed.

Going to be harder for me to allow anyone to demonise them from this point forward. I have had others say it to me, but statistics never supported so I held hope it was yet another distortion.

How to stop them boarding the damn boat in the first place after their initial flee from persecution, that's the key. Because after that it becomes shopping for the best deal - and the whole que jumping thing kicks in - but I want a safer better system for them to get here. Not interested in keeping refugees out - not 'genuine' refugees - that's an entire different deal.

Need to think on this a little now ....

My stomach is infact a Pie warmer: just got to work out how to get them back out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12   

Jump to: