Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jumping the queue

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which illegal immigrant policy is the least worst?
Abbott's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Howard's
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Gillard's
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Rudd's
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Brown's
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Pie wrote:
However it will go on without me.

Me too. I'll be away from the Internet till early next week, and I too have better things to do than repeat myself.

PS: do I support our withdrawl from the convention? No. It is not necessary, the wording of the convention DOES NOT restrict our ability to turn away the majority of the queue-jumpers, and the basic idea is good.

Why are our facilities for interviewing legitimate refugees other than the wealthy one who arrive here illicitly by sea and by air not up to the task? ]Because we are busy buggerising about with the queue-jumping illegals when we should he helping those most in need!

PPS: Oh, and the contention that illegals who do not qualify for refugee status are not in fact illegal is laughable. Utterly ridiculous. Even setting all other matters aside, the penalties for attempting to evade customs and quarantine inspections are quire significant - and rightly so.

/Tannin out/

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:27 pm

This won't change anyone's mind one way or the other, and I don't have any wish to reignite the debate here again (I think we're all over it/locked in entrenched positions) but for anyone interested, a variation on what I wrote in here was published in The Age today.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/birds-of-different-feathers-but-what-is-so-scary-20100730-10zx6.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Cheers for the link, PP. Great piece. Smile
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for publishing that in The Age, Andrew. It is too important a story to have only on Nick's.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:43 pm

Nice Work PP. I quite like the idea of debating with published authors. Razz

Nice work and good sentiments. I haven't changed my opinion but it's damn nice to be able to have a civilised disagreement with someone. Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:53 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
This won't change anyone's mind one way or the other, and I don't have any wish to reignite the debate here again (I think we're all over it/locked in entrenched positions) but for anyone interested, a variation on what I wrote in here was published in The Age today.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/birds-of-different-feathers-but-what-is-so-scary-20100730-10zx6.html

Well done Pied Piper. A good read & timely.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:03 am

I am intrigued by one bit. Bird watching? feathered things?

I've done some bird watching in my younger years, usually with a gun.

Some are pretty, some make nice noises, most taste nice. Do people really travel thousands of KM just to look at them? Shocked

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Indeed they do, Stui. And indeed I do. And, indeedy do, so does Tannin, who ironically I've been going hammer and tongs with in this thread! You should check out his photos at http://tannin.net.au/

It's a lot more fun finding, identifying and watching birds and other animals in their natural environment than blowing them away Smile

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:24 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
Indeed they do, Stui. And indeed I do. And, indeedy do, so does Tannin, who ironically I've been going hammer and tongs with in this thread! You should check out his photos at http://tannin.net.au/

It's a lot more fun finding, identifying and watching birds and other animals in their natural environment than blowing them away Smile

Bolded bit, nah. A lot of the process of stalking is the same, but blowing them away is sort of fun. Haven't done it for a lot of years.

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:55 am

hmm....some things become clearer.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:44 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:

Well done Pied Piper. A good read & timely.

Brilliant journalism PP; that's as a good a distillation of the matter as you'd want to read. Fact with a human face. Thanks.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Pied Piper, many years ago I taped a WW2 propaganda film made during war & set in the UK called "Tawny Pipit".

Not a bad litte film using ornithology as a vehicle to demonstrate how humane the Brits were around the time of the boming by the forces of evil. The ornithologists come out winners but some in ther brood have dark intentions...

Plot
During the Second World War Jimmy Bancroft (Niall MacGinnis) a fighter pilot just released from hospital, and his nurse (now his girlfriend) Hazel Broome (Rosamund John) are on a walking tour through the countryside. They arrive at the fictional village of Lipsbury Lea and being keen birdwatchers, discover that a pair of tawny pipits, which are rarely seen in England, are nesting nearby.

Staying in the village, they enlist the locals to protect the nesting site until the eggs hatch. The villagers do so with great enthusiasm, led by the fiery retired Colonel Barton-Barrington (Bernard Miles) and the Reverend Kingsley.

Unfortunately, the field where the nest is located (known locally as the pinfold) is due to be ploughed up by order of the county agricultural committee, and a delegation to the Ministry of Agriculture in London fails to get the order rescinded. Fortunately, the Minister was Barton-Barrington's junior at school, and the Minister personally intervenes to save the field from being ploughed.

The eggs duly hatch, but not before a plot to steal the eggs on behalf of an unscrupulous dealer is foiled by an alert army corporal (an amateur ornithologist) who is serving nearby.

Authenticity
James Fisher and Julian Huxley were credited as ornithological advisers for the film. Nevertheless, the birds shown in the film are not actually Tawny Pipits but Meadow Pipits.

Filming location
The location of the filming was Lower Slaughter in the Cotswolds, but the fictional location is left unclear. A sign on a pub advertises ales brewed in Oxford, so it may be assumed that the location is Gloucestershire or Oxfordshire.

Propaganda value
By the time the film was released (not until 1947 in the USA), the threat of invasion had subsided, but it was still seen as an effective piece of propaganda. It showed the love of the English for their country and all echelons of society uniting for the common good. A subplot shows Barton-Barrington presenting his Browning Automatic Rifle to Corporal Bokolova (Lucie Mannheim), a Russian soldier on a goodwill tour, whilst giving a fiery speech about some foreigners being 'jolly good chaps'.

Worth a watch if you get a chance.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks for that WPT, never heard of it!
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:41 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Pied Piper, many years ago I taped a WW2 propaganda film made during war & set in the UK called "Tawny Pipit".

Not a bad litte film using ornithology as a vehicle to demonstrate how humane the Brits were around the time of the boming by the forces of evil. The ornithologists come out winners but some in ther brood have dark intentions...

Plot
During the Second World War Jimmy Bancroft (Niall MacGinnis) a fighter pilot just released from hospital, and his nurse (now his girlfriend) Hazel Broome (Rosamund John) are on a walking tour through the countryside. They arrive at the fictional village of Lipsbury Lea and being keen birdwatchers, discover that a pair of tawny pipits, which are rarely seen in England, are nesting nearby.

Staying in the village, they enlist the locals to protect the nesting site until the eggs hatch. The villagers do so with great enthusiasm, led by the fiery retired Colonel Barton-Barrington (Bernard Miles) and the Reverend Kingsley.

Unfortunately, the field where the nest is located (known locally as the pinfold) is due to be ploughed up by order of the county agricultural committee, and a delegation to the Ministry of Agriculture in London fails to get the order rescinded. Fortunately, the Minister was Barton-Barrington's junior at school, and the Minister personally intervenes to save the field from being ploughed.

The eggs duly hatch, but not before a plot to steal the eggs on behalf of an unscrupulous dealer is foiled by an alert army corporal (an amateur ornithologist) who is serving nearby.

Authenticity
James Fisher and Julian Huxley were credited as ornithological advisers for the film. Nevertheless, the birds shown in the film are not actually Tawny Pipits but Meadow Pipits.

Filming location
The location of the filming was Lower Slaughter in the Cotswolds, but the fictional location is left unclear. A sign on a pub advertises ales brewed in Oxford, so it may be assumed that the location is Gloucestershire or Oxfordshire.

Propaganda value
By the time the film was released (not until 1947 in the USA), the threat of invasion had subsided, but it was still seen as an effective piece of propaganda. It showed the love of the English for their country and all echelons of society uniting for the common good. A subplot shows Barton-Barrington presenting his Browning Automatic Rifle to Corporal Bokolova (Lucie Mannheim), a Russian soldier on a goodwill tour, whilst giving a fiery speech about some foreigners being 'jolly good chaps'.

I've seen it. Its a mawkish sentimental piece of crap even when compared to other propaganda films of the time.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:21 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Plot

Authenticity

Filming location

Propaganda value

I've seen it. Its a mawkish sentimental piece of crap even when compared to other propaganda films of the time.

RR please tell us what you really think?

Sentimental I'll give you, mawkish perhaps, not the best propaganda film? I agree. But a piece of crap? I think not. Brilliant cinema? no way, brilliant acting? not so much.
As good as Ernst Lubith's 1939 propaganda film Ninotchka? No way.
Having said that I don't think it is as bad as you make out! but it's all in the eye of the beerholder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12   

Jump to: