Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Doggies, you are the weakest link....Goodbye!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:23 pm
Post subject: Doggies, you are the weakest link....Goodbye!!!Reply with quote

In Today's HeraldSun;

Bulldogs in crisis
10 October 2002 Herald Sun
By SCOTT GULLAN

THE financially stricken Western Bulldogs are bracing themselves for a record loss in excess of $2 million, possibly as high as $2.8 million.

The dismal financial forecast comes after the Dogs lost $1.7 million last year.

The Dogs were forced to seek a $1 million handout from the AFL, which may be used to reduce the full extent of the final loss figure.

Many insiders fear that the club has toppled over the point of no return and will struggle to survive the next two years.

"They are so far behind," one informed source said. "I cannot see how they can turn the club around."

The Bulldogs had planned to reduce their trading loss to $700,000 this year and then break even in 2003.

Indications mid-season were the loss would be about $1.2 million, but there has been unexpected blowouts in several key areas.

New chief executive Campbell Rose has been given the job of shredding millions from the operating costs of the club, including reducing the football department budget by $1 million.

On Tuesday football manager Paul Armstrong was sacked, despite having one year to run on his contract, along with assistant coaches David Noble and Phil Maylin, who had two years to go.

Several senior players, including captain Chris Grant, best-and-fairest Brad Johnson and Nathan Brown, are believed to have been approached about taking pay cuts as the Dogs try to reduce their player payments next season to 92.5 per cent of the $5.94 million salary cap.

The financial problems were a major factor in coach Terry Wallace's decision to quit the club before the final home-and-away game of the season.

It is understood he was told of the savage cutbacks, including the sackings, three days before his shock decision to quit.

Wallace then came to the realisation the club could not be successful in that environment.

President David Smorgon said the extent of the loss wouldn't be known for another six weeks.

"It would be too early for anyone to judge," he said. "It is going to be substantial."

Rose described the task ahead of the Bulldogs as "herculean".

"It's not healthy," the Dogs chief executive said about the club's financial situation.

"There is a lot of hard work ahead," Rose said.

The major source of the financial problems is the Western Bulldogs Education and Training Centre. It is believed to be running at a loss to the tune of $600,000-$900,000.

Corporate hospitality has fallen $600,000 below budget, while the move to Colonial Stadium is costing the club plenty.

The Dogs have also been forced to make some hefty contract pay-outs because of the high turnover rate of staff.

Chief executive Bernard Saundry was sacked just 10 months into a three-year contract, while commercial manager Dale Hudson was axed with 18 months remaining on his contract.

From the Dogs' business plan at the start of the year, only one department head remains.

Tony Liberatore's role in the marketing department was also cut on Tuesday, although he is looking to remain at the club, possibly as the coach of VFL side Werribee.

The loss comes despite the Dogs reaching 20,000 members for the first time, making more than $600,000 from its Team of the Century dinner, and its partnership program for sponsorship producing a good return.

The Bulldogs also received a settlement of around $1 million as they were bought out of the gaming venue, Hoppers Crossing Sports Club. They receive income from two other pokies venues.

-------------------------------------------------------

So what happened to the $1mill that Ed got for them?
No wonder Wallace flew the coup.
I think we are seeing the start of the AFL being reduced to a 12 - 14 team comp. Next, the roos, the, PLEASE GOD, the 'aints!

-Craig

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

14 teams - would the final series go back to a top 6?

donuts 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:27 pm

Well, i feel no sympathy. Call me inconsiderate,a prick or both but i would love to see the doggies out of the comp.
I live in the western suburbs and all u get in the local papers is dogs this and dogs that and how good they are and all this crap rammed down our throats. And then, every second supporter out here is a doggies follower and when they win A game, it automiattically means that the premiership is around the corner and they let everyone know about it. It makes me and my family so sick, and most other people who live here and dont barrick fot the doggies feel the same. They are the scum of the comp. With them out and another team also, it would leave 14 teams in the league, a nice number and a final five, as mentioned previoulsy is the best and fairest finals system and with only 5 out of 14 playing finals, it would assure that only the best teams during the home and away season are rewarded.
Doggies going out...music to my ears
Go pies!!!!!!

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:36 pm

Hmm? I wonder...

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Rowdy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:39 pm

I think it would be a shame for the Doggies to go. It's what the AFL wants and anything the AFL wants I'm generally against. It's alright to blab on about having a national comp but why the AFL feels the need to prop up interstate sides to avoid their players getting homesick and not help out a club like the Dogs, who have produced many champions, none more so than Ted Whitten is an outrage. Call me sentimental, call me soft, I care not. The Dogs should stay and I'd be one to donate some cash for their cause. I know their cause is somewhat hopeless, given all the donations and help they've had in the past but I don't care, they deserve to be in the AFL, they have a great list of players. I know you have to have the financial base to back it up but then I never said I have the answers, I just want the Dogs to stay put. Look what happened to Fitzroy, the majority of them went North and turned into a bunch of cocky a@sholes!

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:24 pm

You're an inconsiderate prick, donuts.

You're a sentimental softy, Rowdy.

You're a clever superimposer, Cam.

Donny

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:50 pm

and donny your a funny prick! hahahahaha

footy ROX!
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:56 pm

Actually very interesting, Cam. Western Roos or Kangadogs ?

Donny

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
wimmey Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:32 am

How about the BULLAROOS  

Murray 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:41 am

I don't think anyone would really want to see another Victorian club go out of existance, I guess a merge would be the best option if there was no other way for the Dogs to survive

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Rowdy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 5:43 am

LOL Donny, you witty little bugger.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:11 am

well if any teams do get the arse out of the comp, then i hope (U CAN ONLY HOPE WHEN THE AFL IS INVOLVED) the afl wont let any more teams in, ie that one up in qld that is pushing to get in.

yes they want 2 teams in qld and syd but it should only be if teams MOVE up there, we already have too many teams, so if one goes then they shouldnt let more in for a while, they should make it 14 teams and thats it.

the north melbourne bulldogs and the melbourne saints haha. nah i dont know what ones but i dont think we (as in collingwood) have anything to worry about. now that eddies here!!

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:13 am

I woould throw THE BIGGEST PARTY EVER, if the Bulldogs folded. They are my MOST HATED TEAM by a mile and i hate them more than words can even describe. If they left the comp it would be one of the best days of my life, HAHAHAHAHAHA SUCKED IN BULLDOGS. How funny it is to see them suffer!!!!!!!!!

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:28 am

Donuts you are an inconsiderate moron. I don't normally take to insults but you have incited me in such a way, not just about what you said about the Doggies, but also because you claim to speak on behalf of all non-Bulldogs supporters who live in the western suburbs. Well I live here too and I have absolutely no problem with the coverage that they get in the LOCAL papers. Papers whose purpose is to talk about local issues, news, events etc. including the LOCAL football team. Would you make this same complaint if you lived in Geelong?

The team is a such a source of pride to a lot of otherwise beaten down people... rather like Collingwood, except that we've had a lot more success, have outgrown our suburb and are becoming a concept in Eddie's words. One wonders if we hadn't had our early success where most of our supporters would be?

"Beez gbazgen mauz gaysh
Bal gonskunn geez woazch
Ma meesken loas gouase
Geez gonskunn boz mosquiez"

Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz, by Mr Bungle.
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:36 am

Black Missionary please dont EVER compare those animals to us. We are COLLINGWOOD

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: