Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

BALI

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:24 am
Post subject: BALIReply with quote

The bombing of innocent individuals in Bali is clearly abhorrent to all right thinking people and my thoughts are with all of those people who were somehow affected.

My deepest sympathy also goes to the people of Bali who only ever wanted to rip the rest of us off in the friendliest possible manner and will now find their way of life forever altered. The change in the way of life in Bali will typify the loss of our world as it used to be.

Whatever the cause of this disaster and whoever is responsible, please remember that this is a footy forum and political comment is not appropriate. I'm not asking you to ignore the motivation or consequences of the disaster just to make your comments in the appropriate place - and that is not here.

I have already edited several of posts and completely removed others and will continue to do that if necessary.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Goods words Mike. Point taken.

Donny

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:41 am

So I'am called a racist,a bigot and what ever.....I dont care.
I follow the Greatest football team in the country,I am an Australian person,I hate to see other AUSSIES killed maimed or hurt in any way shape or form,BUT the way the world is going,it will be FULL of people who DONT like Westeners ,Aussies/NZ or Yanks.....Do we want that.
I believe that this Bali incident is a terrible thing to happen especially on our OWN FrONT door,But who and what will stop it....NO-ONE KNOWS,and OK,besides us WHO CARES??????

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002.
We missed 2002 but theres always 2003
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:30 am

Peter
Thank you for a classic example of why political argument is inappropriate in a sporting forum.

Yesterday you felt amongst friends and included here, today you feel isolated and angry. The only thing that has changed since then happened in Bali - not here. It wasn't caused by anyone here yet your anger is directed at people here.

This forum is made up of people of varied races, religions and political beliefs, but we put those differences aside in our love of the sport and the Club that binds us together - in fact the differences are meaningless here. Why threaten that unity unnecessarily?

I am sorry if you feel that your freedom of speech is being inhibited, but you must see that this is not an appropriate place for the discussion of politics or religion.

Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:55 am

on the who cares thing raised by peter isnt as stupid as it sounds.
What disapoints me is that ive seen no support shown from any other nations USA or England etc. If they do care they certainly arent showing it

"The two hardest things in life are getting started and not quitting.
We will never quit"
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:41 am

apparently someone started shooting in a government office this arvo in ADELAIDE. one woman was hit, no further details.

this is ridiculous.

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:26 pm

Well my remarks were too political for this board and I apologise I just needed to vent my spleen I was that annoyed. Mike isn't saying he disagreed or agreed just saying there are other forums for such commentary. Though I need to ask are there guidelines anywhere for what is considered political commentary? Some comments on sport are considered political commentary. Comments against the AFL are at times very political nature? If you are going to impose bans you need to give guidelines and make them clear. This isn't in condemnation of deleting my post or others like it anyway just making a point about censorship and its pitfalls.

[This message has been edited by Newelly (edited 14 October 2002).]
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:19 pm

No Newelly there aren't any guidelines and it's virtually impossible to create them to cover the infinite variation of possibile scenarios. And I agree that in attempting to censor we run the risk of creating a monster.

But you must admit that the politics likely to be involved in the bombing of a city are very different to the politics involved in the attempted reduction in the number of Victorian teams in the AFL. One is obviously inappropriate and irrelevant to football and we don't need guidelines to recognise which one that is.

Hopefully if censorship can be confined to areas as obvious as this we won't run too much of a risk of being accused of thought control.

I have been very careful to delete all argument, not just argument from one side. So although we are exercising 'censorship' we are not attempting to block a particular viewpoint which is what censorship is usually associated with.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:23 pm

Cheers Mike I was worried about an Orwellian inspired state of censorhip being imposed on this board.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:58 pm

nope, no Big Brother here. although if we have some posters who can disguise their writing (in the satirical sense) as good as Orwell, we could be in for some fun

"..we flew at them as a hawk to his prey, passed through them in the disordered state in which they were, separated them into two distinct parts and then tacked upon their largest division.." -- Captain Cuthbert Collingwood, 1797
Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:25 pm

Evil is now on our doorstep. As I am a South Aust Collingwood member(and a Sturt supporter) my heart goes to those 22 who covered themselves in glory last sunday week - A Sturt flag for the first time in 26 years, but now the ultimate despair.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:38 pm

As they say, life is full of surpises, to bloody bad they aint all good ones, its a shame that we have losers in the world who could be involved in such madness! but unfortunatly it wont and CANT be stopped! we cant change the Stuffed up opinions of those freaks and its an absolute shame that innocent people can be punished for it!

my heart goes out to anyone suffering loses in the BALI tragedy, i was listening to the radio on the way to school this morning and this lady rang up neil mitchel and she had lost her son in the bombing and as we listened to her cry and tell her story we had to hold back the tears too, it was extreamly sad! still cant beleive it!

footy ROX!
I@n S 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:23 pm

quote:

What disapoints me is that I’ve seen no support shown from any other nations USA or England etc. If they do care they certainly aren’t showing it

They do care bereave me! But just like Australian's they care about their own and that’s all they'll report about in the news. E.G America will say how many Americans where killed. And this is the same with every other country.
It was the same with September 11 and any other disaster in the past and will be in the future as well.

Go Mighty Magpies
@shLicuria 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:28 am

totally agree mike. our thoughts are with all.

lv ash

"Cuz i miss you but its so, so strong that it takes my breath away.
and i breath you, into my heart and pray for the strength to stand today without you".
Tyson Lane, Brent Tuckey, Nicki Stone. xoxoxo4eva. miss u
Cmon DEVIL! dont be next! ur the best nicki davis, dont go.
Rowdy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:36 am

I agree with Mike, this BB is focussed around football, and more directly, Collingwood. Whilst it's important to be able to express our disbelief and sympathy over this latest incident it is not the place to discuss the politics, motives etc. my husband is Canadian and you wouldn't believe the number of people that think he's American and decide to attack him personally on such issues. I used to laugh at those Miss World contestants..but you know, all I really want is World Peace too! Unfortunately fighting about such things on this BB is not ever going to achieve it...SO...How about those PIES!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: