Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Final quarter fade outs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:25 am
Post subject: Final quarter fade outsReply with quote

I think I may have finally figured out why we are beginning to fade out in final quarters..............it is a strategic move by the coaching & fitness staff to hit September having played 3 less games for the year than all other finalists.

It makes perfect sense! If we take a nanna nap for 30 minutes per week every week from the Cats game for the rest of the H&A season we will have played 3 1/2 games less than every other team. That mean 3 finals wins fresh as a daisy. A QF win, a PF win and a GF win. No finals failures this time Magpie Fans!!!

Brilliant strategy by MM and Butters, what else could it be? Cool

MONCO: Your life.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That we've outsprinted our oppositions in the 11 matches and only been run down 3 times ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:01 am

It is a concern, hopefully we'll sort it out soon.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:30 am

Still Massive Concern but the Bulldogs are Known for the Fight Backs
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 am

I knew it was inevitable. My son said when we were 48 pts up "where home" and I said na the dogs will come hard in the last.

Having that mind set still didn't stop me from screaming at the TV in the final qtr to stop the rot........final outcome, my wife is not talking to me and my kids saw an ugly side of me when barracking and my dogs are shit scared of me now.Just like the Pies I have to show a bit more composure next time we have a tight one. Embarassed

BARRACK HARD!
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am

Guys, the Ponces have been doing this to us for 20 years. Remember 1990? Happened twice!

Remember "Year of the Dogs" - Wallace is screaming at them because they are congratulating themselves for a one point loss - against guess who?

Fortunately, like the swans and their last quarter comebacks, they usually come up short. However, I certainly don't want another 1977 so Magpies, when you get to 8 goals in front, be alert!
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 am

its more about Doggies always saving their run until too late. THey only play their best football when there is nothing to lose. When game in on the line, their free flowing game gets tense.

We played well in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. THought our 1st and last were horrible...although we played good in the last 5 minutes to stem the tide.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:44 am

I don't agree Dave that it was just about the Doggies. We've had multiple goals kicked in a row against us more than once this season, ie. against Carlton, Geelong, Brisbane, Freo, Saints and now the Dogs.

We need to be able to stop this, it is becoming Essendon like.

Last edited by Joel on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:50 am

Footy is all about momentum. Sides get their tales up and push desperately. We are not the only team this is happening to.

Even this round the Lions v Roos game is a great example.

This is why Footy is a great game because off Ebb & Flow.

Sure winning by margins is good, but I enjoy close games better. The heart beat increases, tension rises. I enjoy that much more.

Love it!

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:59 pm

We smash teams in the first 2.5 quarters with full on intensity and pressure and we can't keep it up. Most weeks we get far enough in front to still win. But as we mature we should play more than 2.5 quarters of pressure football. The Bulldogs can't match our pressure and only get on top when we tire and it opens up. I believe we can fix it in time.
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:32 pm

I love your way of thinking, I just have a heart attack each time it happens
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rodney-eade-pleads-with-players/story-e6frf9jf-1225876218740

Great article. Eade told them to throw caution to the wind. When a team throws caution and risks normally hard to stop. Which showed.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:15 am

Its nothing new, been going on for decades with the Pies, we get a really good lead and blow it,or nearly blow it. You young uns werent even born in 1970, when we had an unassaiable lead at half time of seven goals, and we lost in shattering fashion, just a young teenager then, i have never forgotten it. And in the 77GF we had the Roos done by three qtr time, only to barely escape with a draw. I also recall the 73Qual final at waverley when we had a very good lead over the scum in the last qtr,only to lose yet again. Then we backed it up in the 73Prelim, six goals up at half time v the Tiger, then Hungry bartlett and Hart went nuts,and we lost another one. And i can recount many other stuff ups by us.
So these fade outs are nothing new to me, part of the scene really, no bloody wonder i took the dog for a late walk during that last qtr v the dogs, i have seen more than enough fade outs by the Pies to last me a lifetime. !!!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:26 am

fan4collingwood wrote:
I love your way of thinking, I just have a heart attack each time it happens

I almost did...literally....*note to self do not listen to the footy on the radio while in hospital with a chest complaint...

Cheers

Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 am

Against Dogs (first round), Carlton and Freo we were on top and well in front early, then after being pulled back to within a goal each time during these games we kicked away again winning strongly. Hardly last quarter fade outs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: