Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Davis Factor

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:39 pm
Post subject: Re: The Davis FactorReply with quote

member34259 wrote:
Tannin wrote:

For quite a whle, yes. Leon will hold this position until about 2025 when long-serving Collingwood champion, club captain, and triple Brownlow Medalist Bradley Dick retires after 352 games, 613 goals, and five premierships. In his farewell speech, Dickie pays tribute to his one-time mentor and good friend Leon Davis, who helped make it all possible.

See kids.
Drugs can be a good thing........

I'm happy with that, do I snort; smoke, swallow or inject that one Razz

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You ... er .... how shall I put this .... let's just say ... have you ever used a suppository? Could be quite a thrill for you. Shocked
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:57 pm

^
Not going to happen but thanks for caring. Wink Razz

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:10 pm

I was one calling for him to be dropped. But credit where its due, he was great tonight, almost back to his best, except for going for that speccy in the last.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Different player tonight.

Now just gotta get Medders up and about.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:25 pm

Leon plays a lot better when not injured. Today he did really well and should continue to do so
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:02 am

Played really well tonight but that isn't the issue is it?

Needs to deliver performances like this come September.

Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:08 am

Was good.
He still didn't look in sparkling touch or at top pace , but that might just have been that Harbrow's quick enough to make him look a tad slower than usual.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 am
Post subject: Leon was fitReply with quote

Amazing how much better he is when he doesn't have a lower left calf strain.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:42 am

I want to see Leon succeed as much an anybody, but I'm not getting carried away with his serviceable game tonight. His judgement will come twice this year in the home and away season, when we play the Saints and Cats again. These are the only two sides that push him around and shut him down. Of course if he fails there he will probably have a couple more chances in September when we will probably have to play them both again.

Until then he can do as he pleases, I am not getting sucked in.

MONCO: Your life.
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:01 am

Gloveman Gayfer,

I want to thank you again for this post. It made watching Leon that much more enjoyable, and seeing him rip it apart like the Leon of old, I was smiling from ear to ear with pride, and thinking of your post

Go pies!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:28 am
Post subject: Re: The Davis FactorReply with quote

GlovemanGayfer wrote:
Leon Davis polarises opinion amongst Collingwood supporters. He is seem by some as a luxury player whose undoubted talent shines only fleetingly when required. Other, myself included, see him as being as vital a player as any on our list.

It is fair to say that I feel a sense of ownership with Leon. I feel I am owed a little bit after watching him struggle through the first 50 games. Every now and then something would happen to make it all seem worthwhile and to keep the belief in Leon. This would be followed by games where he would struggle in the most basic aspects of football. My ownership started to bloom however when Leon went from the butt of radio jokes to a small forward of the highest calibre, someone to turn games and influence the team as a whole.

Over the next few seasons his development continued, suddenly he was running through the midfield picking up damaging possessions all over the field. Chasing, tackling and demanding respect. Along the way he became the first indigenous player to reach 100 games for the club, no small accomplishment at a club with a history like ours. There was a sense of calm and maturity in Leon that you could see not only in him but in the way the playing group approached him.

Then came last season. Leon was brilliant. All Australian. His first half of the season was as good as any at Collingwood but there was a decline towards the second half of the season. Then came the finals and the "end" of Leon Davis in eyes of many.

Leon has played in 2 losing GF's. His output in both was marginal at best. His age, inexperience and in the case of the second game, the teams general performance were used to excuse him. The 2009 finals were different however. People expected Leon to deliver now. He owed us! History will only show we lost the finals games it will never show the vitriol aimed at predominantly one player; Leon Davis.

Suddenly Leon went from All Australian hero to trade bait for anyone who had ever shown an ounce of talent. Names from the West became daily linked with the man who weeks before we believed could help us to the promised land. "We will never win a flag with Leon Davis in the team!" While it could be argued that we never won a flag with Nathan Buckley in the team either, most Collingwood fans I know did wonder whether to move forward we had to in fact sacrifice one of our "Legends" to move closer to the prize. (Legend- At this stage Leon will be the leading Indigenous player at our club indefinitely, possibly forever with players careers being impacted upon by free agency etc).

So what has 2010 shown us. Well 2010 so far has been a mixed season indeed. At the end of the day we could be second. Lose and we could sit on the same points as Carlton a team we genuinely think we are far better than. 2010 has shown us that we still have yet to put the finishing touches to the jigsaw. We may have closed some gaps but still are yet to get the job done against Geelong and St Kilda. So who is the difference maker this year? Who will help us make the difference?

Watching the game in Brisbane last week all I could think as I watched the ball ping in and out of our forward line was "we miss Leon". His chase and tackle, his general energy when the ball hits the ground, the flicks, tap ons and general Leonesque plays. He may not have been 2009 spectacular thus far but he has been better and more valuable than many give him credit for. Leon is the glue that makes our forward line stick. He is the player that a youngster Like Dawes needs at his feed to reward him for crashing a pack or creating a contest.

Leon's form hasn't been All Australian. It hasn't been the Leon we know. He starts today half way through the season. Rested after a weeks golf and poised I believe to be the difference as the pies fly towards the finals. If Leon can capture a good burst of form and more importantly confidence he is the missing piece in a team that is really doing well without his 3 or 4 goals. If Leon takes hold of a few games it allows the pressure off of Sidebottom and Beams. It also allows the "Luxury" or bringing in Brad Dick from injury, knowing that he won't be doing it alone.

I Love Leon Davis. I feel I have the right too and I feel I have the right to watch him set 2010 on fire. I feel that I also have the right to cheer that little bit louder when the boy I have watched grow to a man holds aloft the premiership cup. I also have the right to dream that it is Leon who kicks his 4th with a banana from the boundary after the siren to win it.

Leon. I love to watch you play. I love the sound the crowd makes when you get the ball and I know you can be the man to take us that extra step. It's time for the Davis factor.

This is possibly one of the best posts I have ever read on Nick's. Great stuff.

nulla 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:58 am

Not taking anything at all away from Leon but complimenting Leroy Brown.

Leon seemed to work well and read the big guy last night, much like he used to do with Rocca.

I reckon if the surface had of been better last night Leon would have been even better.

Well done Leon ... he was never gone in my eyes.

Go Pies

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 am

I think getting dropped was the kick up the arse he needed. Well done Leon.
MOTR 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:16 am

Yesterday, Davis showed just how important he is to us. Great post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: