Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are you listening to right now?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:42 pm

How old are you?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:46 pm

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:32 pm

One of the singles from the new Drones album:

https://youtu.be/XibHLDrlUls

HAL 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:36 pm

One what?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:41 am

David wrote:
Jezza wrote:
The Less I Know The Better by Tame Impala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2lzmpEs29M

Don't listen to him, Jezza. You have impeccable taste in music. Cool

Cheers David! Cool

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:40 pm

You don't think it sounds like over-indulged children with Casio keyboards they got for Christmas and don't quite know how to use covering out-takes from the rough mixes of a bad 1980s album? That particular Tepid Springbok number reminds me of music in the general style of, say, "Heat of the Moment", except that the folks purporting to play the instruments obviously lack any of the executive skill required to realise an Asia number.

I don't know whether the move all the way forward to the mid-80s is a good thing or a bad thing, since the previous Tepid Springbok links David put up in this thread had me listening to entire albums of their stuff that sounded like 1960s psychedelia without any of the excitement (or the executive skill). In one sense, this number seems to be 15 to 20 years "advanced" on the earlier stuff but - in a much more important sense - they're still locked in the mists of time - and not in a good way. For me, the music lacks the freshness of a bad Vanilla Fudge cover, circa 1968. They used to have more engaging music piped into the elevators of the T&G Building when I went to my dentist there back in the 70s.

There is so much brilliant music in the world in all genres, why listen to this? I understand, superficially, that it's "fashionable" - but the world is chock full of people playing "fashionable" music, so why not listen to ones who can actually play it and have some vocal facility?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:
The Less Tame Impala I Know The Better

Fixed it for you Jezza - you just had some of the words in the wrong order. Wink

Who went to see Iron Maiden last night?

nah, saw em last time they were in Melbourne. Took my son along and that was fun.

Not long turned 18 he'd never seen that much flannelette, beards and mullets in one place, ever (half of Adelaide had flown over for the concert) Laughing

Never stuck that close to me since he was in primary school. Wink

Yes, the Boy told me when he got home that there was quite a bit of actual violence near the front (of course, this is all relative - he never stood on the outer wing at Victoria Park at a Collingwood-Carlton game). He suspects that there may have been a fair bit of ice used by a small proportion of the people who attended.

His report is that the performance was stunning, both musically and visually - apparently Maiden are very entertaining and engaging live. No "Aces High" (Dickinson, of course, has a brilliant, operatic singing voice, still - but there are limits to what is humanly possible, at his age), no "Two Minutes to Midnight", no "Run to the Hills" and only one song from Powerslave. Maiden played about 6 songs from the new album and the Boy considered it more interesting to hear all the stuff that hasn't been done to death, although his view is that "Children of the Damned" was the best performance of the night.
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Fixed it for you Jezza - you just had some of the words in the wrong order. Wink

nah, saw em last time they were in Melbourne. Took my son along and that was fun.

Not long turned 18 he'd never seen that much flannelette, beards and mullets in one place, ever (half of Adelaide had flown over for the concert) Laughing

Yes, the Boy told me when he got home that there was quite a bit of actual violence near the front (of course, this is all relative - he never stood on the outer wing at Victoria Park at a Collingwood-Carlton game). He suspects that there may have been a fair bit of ice used by a small proportion of the people who attended.

His report is that the performance was stunning, both musically and visually - apparently Maiden are very entertaining and engaging live. No "Aces High" (Dickinson, of course, has a brilliant, operatic singing voice, still - but there are limits to what is humanly possible, at his age), no "Two Minutes to Midnight", no "Run to the Hills" and only one song from Powerslave. Maiden played about 6 songs from the new album and the Boy considered it more interesting to hear all the stuff that hasn't been done to death, although his view is that "Children of the Damned" was the best performance of the night.

I can vouch for Maiden being entertaining and engaging. A musical and visual feast!

The riff in Children Of The Damned just before the solos truly goes off😎 I'm pleased and surprised it's in their set again!

MM

HAL 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:31 pm

How long did it take to learn to play it?
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Not as long as some of the other riffs Hal 😎
HAL 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:36 pm

Oh I get it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:

They were pretty damn good when I saw them last.

No Run to the hills? Damn. Sad

Children of the damned is a great song, one of my favs though is "Can I play with Madness". Dunno why. Another is "Flight of Icarus".

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:17 pm

I saw them about 5 years ago too. Were bloody brilliant. The dozen pre-show pots at Young and Jackson's went alright too. Powerslave was my favourite album...Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Going through a Led Zep period again at the moment...Jesus they were brilliant.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:37 pm

I remember my older brother taking me to Melbourne Town Hall for a screening of the Cream farewell film and Supershow (or was it called Supersession?), made circa 1969, in which Zep played a really extended version of Dazed and Confused (maybe 20 or so minutes long). It was fresh and absolutely remarkable. The next time I saw live film of them was when I took the Boy to see Celebration Day. They were still brilliant (and slightly better dressed) by 2007, or whenever that concert was filmed. They didn't make quite the impression that Page did nearly 40 years earlier attacking his guitar with a violin bow. Stunning stuff. Oh yeah, the boy can play....

What's your favourite Zep? I'll venture mine - Gallows Pole, Since I've Been Loving You and Black Dog. Also, all of I and II and the rest of III and IV, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Page 68 of 112   

Jump to: