Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

yep well that was expected

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

die4pies wrote:
Why Stui?

Because most Collingwood fans expect to win every game as if it is their god given birthright.

Expectations have reached ridiculous levels now and if we do stumble, I suspect the apocolypse will be upon us all.

The exodus from the MCG before the game had finished was embarrassing. That's not the Collingwood I know and it is quite clear that the record 56,932 members advertised on the website are mostly fairweather downhill skiing blow-ins.

Bear in mind that we were still top of the top of the ladder until that final siren sounded and Geelong have only edged us on percentage. People stormed out of the MCG like we had just lost our 9th in a row and were doomed for the spoon. Also remember that we lost TWICE to Essendon in the 1990 home and away season.

Shameful. Things didn't go our way on the night and this happens often, no matter how good you are.

HTFU

I must admit I stormed out of the computer room at the 26 minute mark ranting and raving and accidently spat a quarter of a hot dog on the floor. Wife was disgusted and accused me of being a fair weathered supporter. Fair enough, I said, sauce stains on the shirt showing my state of disrepair.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Shades wrote:
If you dont want to diessect a loss, then why go to a BB?

Win/Lose you need to examine how to get better. Obviously theres more to say when your team loses.

To equate more posts during a loss with supporters being fickle or waiting to turn on their club is stupid.

How about you take your high and mighty attitude to a different board and let people who like talking about footy and footy strategy continue posting.

High and mighty attitude? Confused Rolling Eyes I didn't realise I was somehow stopping you from posting your insightful pieces on football strategy. Feel free to dissect the loss, but learn how to spell it before calling others stupid hey?

As some others have said, I'd love to read some thoughtful pieces on what went wrong, instead of the proliferation of posts calling for players to be sacked and/or bagging them, usually from people who couldn't get a kick in a stampede.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
die4pies wrote:
Why Stui?

Because most Collingwood fans expect to win every game as if it is their god given birthright.

Expectations have reached ridiculous levels now and if we do stumble, I suspect the apocolypse will be upon us all.

The exodus from the MCG before the game had finished was embarrassing. That's not the Collingwood I know and it is quite clear that the record 56,932 members advertised on the website are mostly fairweather downhill skiing blow-ins.

Bear in mind that we were still top of the top of the ladder until that final siren sounded and Geelong have only edged us on percentage. People stormed out of the MCG like we had just lost our 9th in a row and were doomed for the spoon. Also remember that we lost TWICE to Essendon in the 1990 home and away season.

Shameful. Things didn't go our way on the night and this happens often, no matter how good you are.

HTFU

Great post, Shane.

With you both.

Shades 

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:12 pm

High and mighty attitude is when people pick on spelling and miss the point.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:05 pm

I don't know if "Bye Bye Cam Woods I won't miss you" counts as the kind of rational dissection after a loss you say you're aiming for
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Why analyse a loss with such vigour?

If your name is Mick Malthouse, Nathan Buckley or Gavin Brown, then I can understand if you dissect a game second by second and then line guys up and tear shreds off them and this would be done discreetly behind closed doors. So what purpose does it serve for 'supporters' to publically drag us all through this exercise? We won’t play any better the next week.

Isolating and ridiculing players doesn't make them play any better. All it does is exacerbate the feelings of frustration and anger built up during the loss. If players did read this stuff from their own ‘supporters’, would they be inspired to play better? Part of being a supporter and the unwritten contract between those on the field and those in the terraces is that we are there to inspire those on the field and in turn they give us something to cheer about. But we only cheer when they fulfil their side first. Collingwood supporters, and AFL supporters in general, will not vocally back their team when they fall behind. Why is it so hard to support when we are losing?

Then there is the inevitable squabbles between supporters who become offended when a favourite player (or even a personal friend) is ridiculed publically. In many instances the levels of anger become quite dangerous and reflect very poorly on the poster’s inability to think rationally when things haven’t quite worked out how they had hoped for. For them this would not be an isolated online phenomena either and would be a reflection on that person’s general social behaviour and attitude towards the people around them.

This problem also manifests itself inside the stadium as the opposition takes control of a game and the ‘supporter’ is left feeling frustrated and bewildered and thinking to themselves “Why are you doing this to me? I came here to watch you win!”

The very definition and purpose of a ‘supporter’ has been distorted by the corporatisation of sport. We once turned up and supported, now we are stakeholders. We have ‘invested’ in the team’s success and should success not materialise we feel ‘ripped off’ and betrayed. How often did I hear the cry from the seats behind me on Friday night; “I don’t pay my membership to watch this f-ing crap”. The promise of success is also central to the marketing of Club memberships. The ‘premiership guarantee’ adds a significant percentage to a club’s membership numbers. But these people don’t hang around when times are tough and wins hard to come by.

As supporters we know that without us on the terraces the game would not be worth playing and unfortunately it has lead to an over inflated sense of self worth. Supporters as a group are worth everything to their team and to the health of the game in general. However, individual supporters have no worth and the same applies to their uninformed opinions and public ranting, whether that is at the bar with a pot in hand, at school, at work or on an internet forum.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:16 pm

^

Shane, excellent post. very very nice.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:25 pm

^

Yep, beat me to it Stui. A very well written post.

Unfortunately, it will probably be howled down by those usual suspects who think its their God given right to vilify the players of the club they claim to support.

Last edited by Doc63 on Sat May 22, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:33 pm

well said shane.

sure things don't always go how we like them to but as often stated, none of the 22 guys that represent this club each week go out to lose the game, miss a shot on goal or tackle.

as a supporter and member of this great club i am more than satisfied with how things are panning out. that's not to suggest i am easily pleased but the big picture is what it's all about.

Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood 

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:41 pm

^
^
Yep, as thoughtful and considered as it gets. Thanks.
Usurper 

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Freo supporters were still cheering their team on, when they were 5 goals down. Dont think it would happen for us, which is disappointing.
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Usurper wrote:
Freo supporters were still cheering their team on, when they were 5 goals down. Dont think it would happen for us, which is disappointing.

lol maybe that is why their club has made only 1 finals series in their history? No culpability.

People come on here to vent their frustrations and talk about issues they feel the club needs to address.
I suppose we could rename the board lets hold hands and be happy tree friends and not care about if we win or lose.

It's called passion something our supporter base has a lot of...

Last edited by loki04 on Sat May 22, 2010 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Shane is right, but winning sure beats the hell out of losing.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:03 am

I think we would all agree on that Piesnchess. But at the risk of die4pies' pockets overflowing with urine, I think that might be one of the best posts I've ever read on Nick's in the seven years I've been posting here. I was actually moved.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:28 am

^ Yeah he said it very well, very well thought out too. Back when footy was just a GAME, early seventies, my mates and I used to head out to Vic Park with a chock full esky of piss, and we never thought once about how much the petrol was, the entry fee-only about two dollars back then,-and if the club "owed"us anything, it never entered our teenage minds. We were just there to yell our heads off for the Mighty Pies, get pissed,and have a good time, and if we won that made it all the better.Great days,great times, footy was real good FUN back then.!
The good ol days, just a memory now.sigh.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: