Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are the odds that Nick Davis re-signs with Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise words indeed Cam.
Although I think it may be a little too late to salvage anything out it now. I think ND may be seen as damaged goods.
If he did stay I would not think any the less of him. Do we think any less of Scotland - after all he wanted to be traded at the end of last season. I think ND is genuinely confused and he may well be getting poor advice.

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Rowdy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:38 am

I agree that Managers can greatly influence, even take over the future of a player, but in the end ND needs to put an end to this matter once and for all. Managers are only ever in it for the money and if ND doesn't realise that then he needs to have his head screwed on alittle more firmly. Sure he needs to take heed the advice given by his manager, but it's his decision in the end. He's being pulled back to Sydney by emotional ties and if they're strong enough nothing will or should keep him at Collingwood. His abilities may well put him in the top ranked players should he go into the draft, but ability alone will not make ND the player we envisaged him to be. You're dedicated to the Club or you're not. The fact that he is unhappy at Collingwood off the field is a major consideration and any club other than Sydney should be wary of wanting him.

MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:18 pm

Spot on Forever Pies. My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!! I'm with you dude.

NO-ONE CAN PREDICT TO WHAT HEIGHTS YOU CAN SOAR PIEBOYS... NOT EVEN YOU WILL KNOW UNLESS YOU SPREAD YOUR WINGS(AND WE DID).

FLOREAT PICA - MAY THE MAGPIES PROSPER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:37 pm

To MURRAY:

Scotland wanted to be considered in a trade due to the fact that he was given very little opportunities at Collingwood (until this year, of course). On the other hand, ND is a regular player (rarely, if ever does he get dropped even for poor performances).

Scotland had reason to desire a trade if he thought it would better his on AFL prospects. ND has more than an AFL footballer could want (regular spot in team, good salary, strong club, etc) yet still wants to be traded (and only if it is to Sydney) - not to better his AFL prospects, but his apparant homesickness.

Slight difference in the circumstances.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:43 pm

Foreverpies and you other knockers....I think you're all wrong about Nick.Gerard Healy said he played golf with Nick's father(Craig Davis)during Grand Final week. He was impressed how Craig said Nick was loving it at Collingwood.
After the Grand Final, Nick was interviewed in the dressing room. He made 2 illuminating comments:-
1. He should've taken off 2 months during the season to get over his groin injury.
2. He shouldn't decide too leave just because of one game(the GF)
So obviously Nick was devastated by the Grand Final loss. Maybe he thought he didn't get enough game time. In the second quarter
he sent a sizzling pass to Josh which resulted in a goal. Straight after, Nick was dragged. I think Balmey's comments about Nick not attending the Copeland were ill-conceived. I guess
I just don't want to see another ex-Collingwood player win the
Swans B+F.

Mr Magpies 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:52 pm

lol, this is Joels bro this time. I think chances are better than you think with Davis returning to Collingwood because Sydney is unwilling to give up its first two draft picks and who from Sydney is worth picking up. 99.9% of the Sydeny are hacks.

Can someone tell me why people are so sour & bitter about Collingwood making the Grand Final and all I feel is Pride.
Go Magpies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rowdy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:17 am

Like I'd ever take heed of any words that dribble out of Healy's mouth.

Murray 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:24 am

DaicosMagic, thanks now I understand
1. If a Colingwood player wants to leave and play somewhere else it is OK
2. If a Collingwood player wants to leave and play somewhere else it is NOT ok.
Yep now I 've got it, thanks for fixing up my confusion.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:27 am

I think that's harsh Murray, Daicos Magic was pointing out that there are other factors here that are different, Scots wsn't getting a chance to play AFL for various reasons, ND has had heaps of chances, more than most would've got I think you'll agree.

There are definite differences, nick wants to leave JUST so he can go home, Scotts didn't want to leave, but thought he was forced to to get game time.

It comes down, i s'pose, do you think that contemplating leaving collingwood, even if you don't, even if you are getting no game time, is a bad thing?

maybe it is.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:52 pm

maybe we could bring Reece Sutherland from Home & Away out of retierment and trade him for Nick Davis???

Imagine that...

What a forward line...

What a back line...

What a midfield...

Reecy can do anything...

Who loves ya Presti?
WE DO!

"The Collingwood Magpies are not a football team, they are a way of life."
Murray 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:17 am

Thanks Ben,
You are right I was being harsh because I wanted to flush out exactly the point you are making which is:
There are instances where some of us as supporters will accept that a player is entitled to leave the club.
If that is the case what are the instances that we will accept.
So far as I understand it, we will accept
1. Players who are not getting a game are allowed to leave and no one will think any the less of them.
2. Players who are getting a regular game and who want to leave, irregardless of the reason, will not have acceptable reason to supporters.
There are probably many more instances of where we think it is valid or invalid.
Brett James comes to mind - family issues back in SA
How do we feel about Mal Michael, Paul Sharkey, Jon Hassel, Paul Williams, Andrew Shauble, Tony Woods, Mick McGuane, all of whom I think wanted to leave ie were not used as trade bait.

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:27 am

not sure if schauble actually wanted to go. on the other hand we've received holland and steiner, both of whom could not be gauranteed games at their previous clubs. i think obree probably wanted to come home regardless but with the fab 4 in place, he was struggling to get a game and in reality had very little option but to move on in order to continue his career. as much as they love the sport, it is a job and they have to go where the work is.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:30 am

Murray, I see it a little bit different but understand what you are saying. IMO guys like Scots were giving it all for the club and were VERY upfront with the administration about what they wanted to do. It was not dragged out over the whole year. MY criteria for not accepting circumstances is how you deal with the club. Some of these guys may have wanted to leave but they dealt with it in a manner that did not cause the CFC heartache for 12 months.

I dislike many of the people you listed simply because they don't play for us any more, however the way their leaving was handled was not detrimental to the club. The way ND has handled his situation has been. So for me, the reason I am off ND's bandwagon is that he has not treated the club with the respect it deserves, and to get to your point: he has not treated the club with the same respect the others who have left did AT THE POINT OF NEGOTIATION FOR THEM LEAVING. I don't remember anyone else draggin their "I want to leave" out for 12 months, miss appointments etc.

The individual is so much smaller than the club. ND forgot that!

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
Murray 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:57 am

Thanks Blanch, some excellent points and because of them I am swayed more towards your point of view. They were issues I had not considered - Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: