Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Live theatre - For those interested in the thespian arts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
^

Does the Mens Gallery count as a theatre?

Performers are live, on stage, there's music and there's acting. Seems to tick all the boxes. Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNNxeovdN5U

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Went with Mrs WPT to the Malthouse last night & saw:

Nicola Gunn
Piece For Person and Ghetto Blaster

Presented by Malthouse Theatre; a co-production with Performing Lines

Walking along the canal in a foreign country, you see a man throwing stones at a nesting duck. You ask him to stop. He tells you to mind your own business. What do you do?

Piece For Person and Ghetto Blaster explores the rawness of confrontation and the ethical dilemma of intervention. Through the lens of a surreal but everyday event, Nicola Gunn plays out a tangle of imagined responses and repercussions through performance and dance.

Gunn returns to Malthouse Theatre with her signature wit, teaming up with choreographer Jo Lloyd, to create a work that is part dance, part theatre, and entirely hypnotic. This is Gunn at her best: profoundly funny and brilliantly self-scathing.

Great performance. High energy, highly recommended. Of course taste is individual: there's my taste & bad taste

Basically Nicola Gunn talks & interacts with the Audience throughout. Unique, funny, self deprecating, energetic and thoughtful.

So far have seen 3 plays & all have been winners:

1. The Encounter
2. Homosexuals (faggots)
3. Piece for Person & Ghetto blaster

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Went to see a play at the Malthouse Theatre last night with Mrs WPT. Wow, talk about in your face: Wild Bore

http://malthousetheatre.com.au/whats-on/wild-bore

The play opens with the curtain going up, a trestle table covered from the front then one bum resting on the table with anus just about showing facing the audience. A monologue ensues with the woman actor reading critics who have panned the play and perhaps another work.

She is then joined by another bum doing the same thing but with aa different set of critiques followed by a third one. Three women, three bums, reading criticism that is mostly so inane it is very funny.

The play moves well beyond this but does use bums, anus's & later nudity.

All 3 women are award winning actors & comediennes in their own right(s): One from the US, one from the UK & one Australian.

In small part by the American actor / comedienne it is a brief homage to Andy Kaufmann's humour at other times it is political but they send themselves up in doing so: part absurdist, part slapstick & part serious theatre so to speak.

This review captures it reasonably well:

"They've got a lot of cheek, these three women"

These whip-smart comediennes are brazen, tasteless and hilarious...

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/stage/melbourne-stage/wild-bore-review-theatre-with-a-lot-of-cheek-20170519-gw8l1x.html

Worth going. It's not the best of plays I've seen this year but still worth going IMO, very funny & confronting at times.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:32 am

I saw the MTC production Three Little Words on Friday night and thought it was really good both a comical and at times profound look at the age-old topics of marital breakdown and mid-life crisis. The dialogue was really superb, and the characterisations were great too.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:21 pm

David wrote:
I saw the MTC production Three Little Words on Friday night and thought it was really good both a comical and at times profound look at the age-old topics of marital breakdown and mid-life crisis. The dialogue was really superb, and the characterisations were great too.

Did Lola go too and does Lola get what Lola wants? (I heard that song on the radio on the weekend)

Link to Three Little Words:

http://www.mtc.com.au/plays-and-tickets/season-2017/three-little-words/

She's quite a talent "our" Joanna Murray-Smith

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:42 am

For David & Lola: Heard this on PBS on the weekend (part of their radio-thon) having re-subscribed:

Sarah Vaughn's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcaSBN82ns

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:24 am

She did! She wanted to see Carmen and was disappointed to miss out on tickets, but we took a punt on this instead and both really liked it. Then followed it up with some Stravinsky at Hamer Hall the next day before I headed off to work. Smile
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:18 am

Went with Mrs WPT to see "The Moors" at Red-Stich Theatre (rear 2 Chapel Street St KIlda corner Dandenong Road opposite the Astor Theatre) tonight.

Good fun.

Small theatre, upfront and personal.

A recent review:

https://www.timeout.com/melbourne/theatre/the-moors

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:21 am

Went with Mrs WPT to the Malthouse Theatre earlier tonight & saw "Heart is a Wasteland". While good but not great the acting & music was better then the writing in my view.

"Raye is struggling, a country music star in the making. Riding her luck, shes playing pub to pub along Australias vast desert highways, flogging demo CDs for ten bucks a piece until she can go home to Alice and look her son Elvis in the eye. Then Rayes life becomes entwined with that of another wanderer and a love affair unfurls over the four-day drive to Alice Springs.

Heart is a Wasteland sees John and Margaret Harvey combine theatre, film and live music in this intimate portrait of two travellers that cuts to the countrys heart. Two of Australias most revered actors, Ursula Yovich (Love and Information) and Aaron Pedersen (Water Rats, Mystery Road, Goldstone) come together to portray two achingly beautiful characters in a whiskey-fuelled battle of egos and hidden scars.

From Brown Cab Productions, Heart is a Wasteland is a luminous journey towards the recognition of everyones worthiness of, and right to, love"

http://malthousetheatre.com.au/whats-on/heart-is-a-wasteland

Ursula Yovich's singing was a highlight as was the accompanying woman guitarist on slide, acoustic and other instruments. Aaron Pederson is a very good actor.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Went with Mrs WPT to see The Black Rider: the casting of the magic bullets:

Great fun, simply marvellous, loved it.

"A CO-PRODUCTION WITH VICTORIAN OPERA

COME ON IN, TAKE OFF YOUR SKIN, AND DANCE AROUND IN YOUR BONES.

A nave hunter travels to a crossroads in the dead of night to conjure the devil. Hes willing to bargain almost anything in exchange for magic silver bullets that will never miss their mark. But the devil makes cunning dealsjust when you think you can have it all, you may have unwittingly given it all away.

Who else could write a macabre musical about a pact with the devil, but Tom Waits and William S. Burroughs? Cry-in-beer ballads meet 1920s jazz and gritty beat poetry, in a carnival of addictions. Black Rider is a spectacle that pulls the audience into the dark and decadent depths of the underworld.

Malthouse Theatre and Victorian Opera team up to create a theatrical fantasia with some of Australias greatest seducers, including Meow Meow, Paul Capsis and Kanen Breen in a production that is part vaudeville, part opera, and all dance with the devil".

http://malthousetheatre.com.au/whats-on/the-black-rider-the-casting-of-the-magic-bullets

My favourite reviewer gets it right again

"......The cast just bursts with the finest and freakiest cabaret, operatic and musical theatre talent. Meow Meow holds all the cards and plays them to perfection. Paul Capsis and Le Gateau Chocolat, no less, sing an astonishing duet together, their piercing contralto and sepulchral bass sound like music from another dimension...."

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/stage/melbourne-stage/black-rider-review-20170921-gylrb1.html

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Saw Book of Mormon at the Princess Theatre on Saturday night. Sooo good, great cast, amazing voices, great and very amusing story.
Loved it 9/10 (deducted a point as IMHO the first half was better than the 2nd, not sure why but must've been lacking something)
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Went with Mrs WPT a couple of days ago and bought (limited) seasons tickets for 6 shows for 2020 season at The Malthouse Theatre (after a 2 year hiatus):

https://www.malthousetheatre.com.au/whats-on/?categories=4794

Not too expensive (per show) when you get 6 or more tickets. Very Happy Very Happy

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Off to the theatre this weekend to see a RedStitch theatre production (part of the Midsumma festival: The Feather in the Web

This is a review of the same play when it was in Sidanee in 2018:

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/theatre/the-feather-in-the-web-review-mad-tunnel-of-laughs-with-a-dose-of-woe-20181014-h16lyd.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:02 am

The other week Mrs WPT and I went to the Malthouse theatre and saw a great version of “The Importance of being Earnest” a two man show playing 6 roles. Great fun and a good romp.

2 days ago in Adelaide we saw Molliers “Tartuffe” a French play a farce performed by Scottish actors with English subtitles. It was a hoot, great acting and good fun.

https://theclothesline.com.au/tartuffe-holden-street-theatres-adelaide-fringe-2020-review/

Last night after the bike ride we saw Columbian Circus. It was the last night of the fringe and honestly it was one of the best shows I’ve seen in many many years. Uplifting, lots of energy, fantastic sound and just lots of fun. It was the last show of the Adelaide Fringe festival and Mrs WPT and I had a great time.

If you get a chance in the post coronavirus world to see it don’t pass it up:

https://indaily.com.au/arts-and-culture/adelaide-fringe/2020/02/17/fringe-review-circolombias-acelere/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 am

Guessing this thread won’t be getting updated again for a while. Sad

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/arts-centres-across-melbourne-close-en-masse-as-covid-19-fears-rise-20200315-p54abt.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: