Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Live theatre - For those interested in the thespian arts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see Little Match Girl tonight. I'm with you WPT Meow Meow is brilliant and very original in a genre not always known for its originality. I hope you got to see it. Clare and I only decided to go at 6.00 pm and still managed to get good tickets for the 8.00 pm show.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
Went to see Little Match Girl tonight. I'm with you WPT Meow Meow is brilliant and very original in a genre not always known for its originality. I hope you got to see it. Clare and I only decided to go at 6.00 pm and still managed to get good tickets for the 8.00 pm show.

Thanks Dr Pie. Got last minute ticks for the last show at 5.30 pm. Great show had a good time. She's a performer.

http://vimeo.com/32391400

The show I saw about 5 years ago was called Vamp. This is a link to Meow Meow working with Liza Minelli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2pqxhna5c

Last edited by watt price tully on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Hm getting late.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 am

Jane Montgomery Griffiths has a new play on at the Malthouse at the moment, Wild Surmise. I really liked Sappho, so I'm looking forward to seeing this.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:23 am

Went to see a great production at The malthouse Theatre on Friday night with Mrs WPT.

"Calpurnia Descending" with the amazing Paul Capsis - a brilliant singer & performer. Last show is tonight 30 November 2014: A glorious camp romp.

"Calpurnia Descending ..ignites a backstage Battle Royale.

Calpurnia Descending / sees one of the countrys most fabulous divas, Paul Capsis, in the role of a lifetime. Enter Beverly Dumont. Once a major star alongside Bette Davis and Elizabeth Taylor this dame could dazzle. But those days are through. This has-been is now a recluse, hooked on hooch and limping toward obscurity as the curtain falls for good. When from the wings comes a not-so-naive ingnue by the name of Violet St Clair, with cheekbones that could cut glass and a body made for sin.

Together they collude on a Broadway hit to resurrect Dumonts career, but both women are soon caught in a world of paranoia, scandal and remorseless ambition.

Fresh from a sell-out Sydney season, this uproarious and utterly unmissable spectacle from Sisters Grimm / ignites a backstage Battle Royale.

Fantastic 1st day in Melb! Got 2 see the HIGHlarious new play Calpurnia Descending!

Katy Perry
READ THE TWEET
★★★★ Paul Capsis is in exquisite form as decrepit diva Beverly Dumont, spidery and embittered, channelling Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

The Age
Declan Greenes direction is inspired Flanders is in his element as the wonderful Violet, and his transformation from ingnue to mastermind is incredibly delicious Its a wig-snatchingly funny ride.

Herald Sun
★★★★ The show belongs to Capsis, who gives a glorious performance as the vulture-like, faded diva delivering an arch physical and vocal performance only matched by his extreme, pencilled eyebrows ... [Sisters Grimm are] known as the most subversive, insightful and hilarious theatre-makers in the country.

The Daily Review

But the genius of this piece is the extent to which it goes beyond parody and beyond drag ... This production is clever and fun, and a lot more serious than it pretends to be.

The Australian

Great stuff.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:15 pm

Went to "A Social Service" at the Malthouse Theatre. Really good stuff. Worth seeing. Nicola Gunn is a gun:

http://malthousetheatre.com.au/whats-on/a-social-service

Featuring Nicola Gunn and David Woods, this smart performance sticks its nose into the gap between rich and poor, and smells something funny. Prepare yourself for an in-your-face look at systems that claim to help the needy, but only help themselves.

In a send-up of greed, status and the machinations of power, Gunn and Woods take a satirical look at the state of the public housing system, and the developers and bureaucrats who control its future. Featuring guest performances by residents of Melbourne's public housing estates, A Social Service questions who these safety nets are really there to benefit by digging at a reality more concerned with replicating itself than improving the situation. When the people at the top have no understanding of ordinary worries, needs or wants, maybe their help is the kind / wed be better off without.

★★★★ extremely funny... one show every artist should see.

The Age

★★★★ funny, moving, thought provoking

Herald Sun

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Saw this the other night at the Malthouse in Melbourne

http://malthousetheatre.com.au/whats-on/the-encounter-by-complicite?gclid=CKWfuOb6_dECFYSYvAodYB8IjQ

THE ENCOUNTER
BY COMPLICITE

2 10 FEBRUARY 2017
Directed by Simon McBurney, The Encounter tells the true story of National Geographic photographer Loren McIntyre who in 1969 found himself lost amongst the remote people of the Javari Valley in the Amazon. It was an encounter that radically changed his life.

As each member of the audience dons a headset, they are plunged into the Amazon through a 3D soundscape, where the heat of the rainforest and the whisper of unfamiliar languages whip through the ears, in an intoxicating and immersive experience. Expect to be on the edge of your seat.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
AN HALLUCINATORY, TECH-AUGMENTED TOUR DE FORCE, THE ENCOUNTER IS AN EXTRAORDINARY FEAT OF THEATRICAL STORYTELLING UNLIKE ANYTHING YOU WILL HAVE EXPERIENCED BEFORE.
The Age // Read more
★ ★ ★ ★
THE ENCOUNTER IS A CHALLENGING AND MESMERISING PERFORMANCE THAT CREATES A WORLD IN OUR MINDS AND REMINDS US OF THE EXTRAORDINARY SKILL OF THE ACTOR AND THE MAGIC THAT IS GREAT THEATRE.
Herald Sun // Read more

https://vimeo.com/197983254

F*cking "amazing" what an experience. If you get a chance go see this.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:24 pm

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! "
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Went to see Homosexuals (or faggots) tonight at the MM theatre, took out season passes for $240 each ( 5 shows each for Mrs WPT & I) more affordable (another fortnight of overtime just done)

$%^$^ (noun):

1/ A ball or roll of seasoned chopped liver, baked or fried
2/ A bundle of sticks bound together as fuel
3/ Pejorative term for a male homosexual

Warren and Kim are happily marriedor as happily married as two rich, white gay men in Australia can be. Perusing a dinner menu at a pub one night, they are mortally offended by the dinner special: Faggotswith mashed potato and gravy.

Flash forward one month. Warren and his best friend Diana are preparing for a party in highly offensive costumes when they are surprised by an unexpected guest: a highly offend-able social media activist. To survive this night with their PC reputations intact, these homosexuals will have to negotiate a moral minefield (in heels).

The stakes couldnt be higher with an important business deal on the table, not to mention Warren and Kims million dollar mortgage. The result is a farce of epic proportions.

http://malthousetheatre.com.au/whats-on/the-homosexuals-or-faggots?gclid=CIHQu-GRq9ICFUp_vQoddyEOvg

Wow, full on, fast, funny, ,cruel, hysterical & some times too much at once. Great acting. A tour de farce 3.5-4/5

Not a full house unfortunately. The usher who was at the front kept on calling out "Homosexual, faggots" to those mingling in the front , when we showed out tickets he said to "go along the back passage & then turn left" Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Off to see this later this month, Nicola Gunn is a wonderful writer, director, actor & performer. I try to go & see what ever show she is in:

PIECE FOR PERSON AND GHETTO BLASTER

15 26 MARCH
Walking along the river in a foreign country you see a man throwing stones at a nesting duck. You ask him to stop. He tells you to mind your own business. What do you do?

Presented as a part of Dance Massive, Piece For Person and Ghetto Blaster explores the ethical dilemma of whether to intervene or not, dancing in and out of a tangle of imagined repercussions for how one can potentially become a better person.

Nicola Gunn was last seen on our stage in the furious political satire A Social Service, and she returns with her signature wit, teaming up with choreographer Jo Lloyd, to create a work that is part dance, part theatre, and entirely hypnotic. This is Nicola Gunn at her best: profoundly funny and brilliantly self-scathing.

COMIC GENIUS... GUNNS TEXT IS INTRICATE AND OFTEN BRILLIANT, FULL OF UNPREDICTABLE DIGRESSIONS AND CURIOUS FACTOIDS. ITS THE VERBAL EQUIVALENT OF SKIMMING STONES OVER WATER.
The Age

http://malthousetheatre.com.au/whats-on/piece-for-person-and-ghetto-blaster

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:02 am

Still bummed I didn't see "The Encounter" Sad

Really should get to the theatre more often.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:30 pm

^

Does the Mens Gallery count as a theatre?

Performers are live, on stage, there's music and there's acting. Seems to tick all the boxes. Razz

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:16 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Performers are live, on stage, there's music and there's acting. Seems to tick all the boxes. Razz

And the drimks are overpriced

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:18 am

luvdids wrote:
Still bummed I didn't see "The Encounter" Sad

Really should get to the theatre more often.

Shame, that was a unique incredible experience.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

haha. No. They're not actors, they're... well.... um... not actors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: