Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Live theatre - For those interested in the thespian arts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:06 pm

David wrote:
Seeing "Sappho in 19 Fragments" this Saturday night. :)

Good one. I'm off to see Kafka's "The Trial" when we play Essendon on a Friday night - I'm off to the play on Saturday night!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Really liked Sappho. Wasn't anything like I was expecting - tiny stage, a couple of props, 70 minute monologue by one woman. Very impressive, very interesting deconstruction of the classical archetypal 'Lesbian' story and the way her life has been interpreted in intervening millennia.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Went to see Kafka's the "Trial" with my wife & youngest (she's doing yr 11 Drama with a view to yr 12 drama next year). Tough going I liked it. After the first hr, a person had a turn in the audience. Next to two Dr's!! is there a Dr in the house? Hopefully she's OK. Ambulance called 45 minutes later got back to the rest of the show. Quite physical drama & challenging.

Last edited by watt price tully on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Oops!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Sounds quite dramatic, WPT (although I read this post before you edited it, and can't tell the difference. Lol).

My Saturday night date enjoyed Sappho so much that we've planned a return date for closing night on the 21st. Smile

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 pm

David wrote:
Sounds quite dramatic, WPT (although I read this post before you edited it, and can't tell the difference. Lol).

My Saturday night date enjoyed Sappho so much that we've planned a return date for closing night on the 21st. :)

Yes indeedy: drama both on & off the stage let alone paying $8 for small beer at the bar!! That'll teach me. No BYO's!!

We might get to see Sapho but I've paid for 3 other one's we're going to this season.

Have a look at the 1927 theatre group an unusual form of theatre - I really liked them 2 years ago in a different production worth checking via you tube etc if possible if they are on.

The changes were two spelling mistakes!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:36 am

Went last night to see an "in your face" play based on a Greek Myth come Tragedy:

Thyestes.

Lots of violence, nudity, graphic simulated sex, incest, adultury, murder, humour, backstabbing, family dysfunction, political manouverings, deceipt, foul languauge, (in fact, they called up people who bought tickets some time ago to warn themabout the extent of the above) but placed in a modern context. Just like a footy team I suppose!!

3 males played all the roles including one as various women but not dressing up as a woman.

Brilliant performances & the stage setting was remarkable. Basically the play was in the middle with two open sides. The audience was divided into two equal sections on either side of the stage. On one of the open sides was a set of about 6 rows of seats with about 8 seats in an ascending manner & the exact same was replicated on the other side. In this way you would not only see the actors & stage in front of you but see the other half of the audience members behind the actors on the stage.

I'm not sure if the play was brilliant & I'm still digesting it now. However, the performances were outstanding & compelling.

Recommended - go see it if you get a chance.

http://www.malthousetheatre.com.au/page/THYESTES

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:26 pm

A theatre group called 1927 from the UK are in town to do some performances in November called: The Animals & the Children took to the street..is on soon. Saw them 2 yrs ago in a production called "Between the Devil & the deep blue sea". They use music, animation, projection etc. Good fun, creative.

Some links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mBtaW1096g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ROpUF4ra8&feature=related

La Mama has some interesting stuff on before Xmas too.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Went to see 1927's "The animals & the children took to the streets" last night. Great show. Highly recommended. Great review by a usually harsh reviewer in today's Age. If you've got 1hr 20 min up your sleeves go see it. Great show using animation, physical theatre, projection, acting (naturally) piano, voice, narration in parts some elements from the silent era and relevant now. Lots of fun. Unusual.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Sorry WPT, did I ever mention that that performance of Sappho was my first date with my now girlfriend of three months? So, I guess, thanks for the heads up! Smile

When we have a little more money I'd love to take her along to the Malthouse again.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:30 pm

David wrote:
Sorry WPT, did I ever mention that that performance of Sappho was my first date with my now girlfriend of three months? So, I guess, thanks for the heads up! :)

When we have a little more money I'd love to take her along to the Malthouse again.

I think you can get student rush tiks at the door ? price & there were a about 5-10 seats not many on the Friday night we went.

3/12 - well done like!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Saw a brillinat one man play last night at the Mick Malthouse theatre. If you get a chnce go see it - Based on an Edgar Allen Poe's work from the "Theatre of the Macabre":

The Tell Tale Heart.

Adapted & Directed by Barry Kosky.

Brilliant performance & brilliant music.

If you get a chance, do yourselves a favour - its a beauty.

The same goes for the one posted above: "The Animals & Children took to the Streets"

Can't go wrong with either. The latter one finishes on 28 November while the Tell Tale Heart finishes on 2 December.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Saw Meow Meow's Little Match Girl last night. Very funny, with lots of great songs. Highly recommend it to all if it's still showing.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:25 pm

David wrote:
Saw Meow Meow's Little Match Girl last night. Very funny, with lots of great songs. Highly recommend it to all if it's still showing.

How good is Meow Meow?

Saw her a couple of years ago at the MM theatre. Probably going next week if we can still get tickets.

She is a talent.

I think its on till 4/12/2011.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: