Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Our Fitness The Biggesst Issue?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:21 pm
Post subject: Is Our Fitness The Biggesst Issue?Reply with quote

They were just discussing on SEN that a big reason why skills drop away, like ours did in the last qtr is due to tiredness more than anything else. The Saints skills didn't drop away which lends to the notion that they are a fitter team than we are. Last night I also heard that after their 2008 Prelim flogging they employed some AIS fitness guys to revamp their programs which has been the biggesst factor in their ability to run games out and maintain their skill level.

Is our fitness staff the best available? Are they really doing a great job? Because until our skills dropped away we basically matched it with the Saints.

Other sides in the comp generally don't work us as hard as the top sides do, but we can handle all other sides but the top teams have our measure, is it our fitness level that is holding us back above all else?

MONCO: Your life.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Don't think so. The Saints are simply better than we are. We had to work our arses of to stay on top of them for three quarters, then ran out of gas in the last. Well, ran out of gas is a little too strong, we lacked run and lost the first three or four crucial clearances. Unfortunately, that was game over.

May have been a mental tiredness as well. We worked so hard in the third, dominated that quarter, and yet did not kick a goal. The game was really lost there, just like it was for the Saints in last year's Grand Final, and the Cats the year before.

1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:30 pm

^^ Abit like a heavyweight boxer having a lot of swings but missing gets fatigued and his opponent delivers the knockout punch!

BARRACK HARD!
sq3 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Amazing - our players are smaller bodied than the Saints players (and Cats) and they are not as fit or fast over the ground.

I do actually think that Dr B is very good with conditioning (but knows jack about strength training) but may have just got it out by a day on this weeks stretch between games.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Only when we lose.. of course when we win, we can bench press 3 times our bodyweight and outrun a bus load of Kenyans
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:08 pm

No. We have a system in transition, we're weaning new players into the side, and we still need further development to match it with the mature quality sides.
sq3 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:33 pm

frankiboy wrote:
Only when we lose.. of course when we win, we can bench press 3 times our bodyweight and outrun a bus load of Kenyans

Too true mate - you always look slow chasing the opposition.

I did see the Storm boys yesterday though and I tell you what Slater could bench press Rocca (no joke) - he used to be a jockey and now makes Daisy look like a real jockey. He is at least 95kg's. (In the Rexona challenge he benched 75% of his body weight for 33 reps), Corvo has now been there 8 years and they are very strong and fit boys.

When Bomber and Bellyache set a cross training session last year they matched up Ablett and Slater. If it was a straight mark Ablett was better - but the thing that amazed Bomber was that every time the ball hit the deck Slater got it. He was faster and stronger than GA jr.

Cats have learnt a lot from the Storm in the last 16 months since Bomber walked into a bar in NY after the end of the 2008 season and ran into Bellyache.

They have been good mates since and swap lots of ideas and training methods.

Both clubs lost the 2008 GF's - then both won 2009 GF and both again are odds on to win again this year.

To think we trained right next door to them and learnt nothing Embarassed

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:11 pm

sq3 wrote:
Amazing - our players are smaller bodied than the Saints players (and Cats) and they are not as fit or fast over the ground.

I do actually think that Dr B is very good with conditioning (but knows jack about strength training) but may have just got it out by a day on this weeks stretch between games.

You know we think alike about skills and fitness sq3. We could do worse than have a look at the way Storm prepares.

But everyone conveniently forgets Arizona! Razz

It is supposed to be our secret weapon. Laughing

sq3 wrote:

To think we trained right next door to them (Storm) and learnt nothing Embarassed

Unbelievable.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:22 pm

frankiboy wrote:

Yeah but we can only out run them cos they're pushing the bus. Wink

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Next question? I am not sure I agree with your assumptions, MR Cai spent two weeks in hospital but after release was forced to return to work while suffering from significant injuries.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:26 pm

we supposedly have the best training facilities in the league but no one seems to have read the instruction manual because we don't know how to use them. we waste hundreds and thousands of dollars year after year on ridiculous high altitude training that's supposed to give our players a competitive edge over the opposition and improve their fitness. what a joke. hawthorn walk kokoda and win a GF and geelong have proved successful without resorting to such money wasting tactics. we train next door to the storm and if there's ever a better chance to learn about strength and core fitness it would be from them.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
frankiboy wrote:

hehe, I just had a flashback of wacky races and that gangster mob with their foot powered sedan Laughing

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:43 pm

frankiboy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
frankiboy wrote:

hehe, I just had a flashback of wacky races and that gangster mob with their foot powered sedan Laughing

lol, muttley.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Been syaing for a few years that the Arizona trip is waste of time. Get the Percy Cerutty traetment. 10 days running up the sand dunes at Portsea.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:05 pm

frankiboy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
frankiboy wrote:

Ahhhh yes the Anthill mob. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: