Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What a Surprise!!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:12 am
Post subject: What a Surprise!!!!Reply with quote

League defends GF decisions
12:52:12 PM Mon 30 September, 2002
afl.com.au

The AFL has moved to clarify some of the more contentious umpiring decisions that arose out of Saturday’s Grand Final.

The league’s review of the match is almost complete and already the most controversial incident – a point paid to Anthony Rocca in the final quarter – has been cleared as the correct decision.

“Craig Clark made excellent position directly under the goal post. The ball was swinging but was judged to be a point when the ball crossed the goal line. The AFL Umpiring Department fully support the umpire's decision,” the AFL said in a statement.

Other decisions reviewed by the AFL and deemed to be correct include:

Chris Tarrant’s touched shot for goal.

a juggled mark not paid to Brisbane’s Clark Keating because Simon Prestigiacomo, on the mark, touched the kick by Brisbane's Jonathan Brown.

the free kick to Alastair Lynch, in the final quarter. According to the AFL, “Collingwood's Shane Wakelin had a free kick paid against him for illegal contact by blocking Lynch and denying him access to the ball. Wakelin did not have eyes on the ball when he made front-on contact to Lynch as he was preparing to contest the ball.”

The AFL also announced that Grand final umpire Brett Allen has been named the 2002 All-Australian umpire.

Allen was also All-Australian umpire in 1999 and 2000 and is the first umpire to be awarded the honour three times.

Other umpires to win the All-Australian honour have been Peter Carey (1992), Andrew Coates (1998), Darren Goldspink (1993 and 1995), David Howlett (1994), Hayden Kennedy (1997), Scott McLaren (2001), Mark Nash (1996) and Bryan Sheehan (1991).

SHEEZ WHAT A SURPRISE.....I AM SO SHOCKED THAT THE AFL WOULD REACH THOSE CONCLUSIONS.......WANKERS!!!!

Cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon NP tell the truth you made that up didn't you. You almost had me until I read the bit about Allen getting the AA umpire award.

Go Pies!
Murray 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:48 am

Has anyone ever known the AFL to admit to making a mistake.
In all my years of following footy I have never ever heard anyone from the AFL to say "Oops sorry we got that one wrong" or yes (insert name of team here) you were robbed or the Umpires were terrible today etc etc. The AFL is like God, everything they do must be right because they are the ultimate power and if they do, do anything wrong they just change the rules to make it right.
If there were 99 ways to do something right and only 1 way to do something wrong, guess which way the AFL would do it?

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:54 am

White-wash.

I think that's what you call it.

A white-wash for the men-in-white.

But a maggot is a maggot ... no matter what colour you paint it.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:22 am

The fact that they have released a statement points to a real problem -> people actually at the game that knew it was a goal. How did they come to the conclusions that the incidents were umpired correctly? Show us the footage.

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Rowdy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:40 am

They just showed the reverse angle of Rocca's goal and it was clearly that...a goal. The fact that the AFL has stated it was a correct decision only highlights what a bunch of d@%ckheads they are.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:25 pm

ha! i knew when i saw the title of this thread that it would be about the maggots.

they cant leave a good game alone can they?

and OF COURSE the afl would never admit to being wrong, after all, theyve never been wrong in the entire history of afl have they? so why start now?

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
carlabuckley_05 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:04 pm

i saw the footage of rocca's goal on channel ten tonight .. they showed it from behind the goals for the first time .. it was a bloody GOAL! by a mile..they stuffed up big time!!!!!

there are two types of people ... those that barrack for collingwood ... and those that wish they did ... to be continued

NATHAN BUCKLEY FOR PRESIDENT
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:04 pm

goal easily, we were right behind it - what I love is "did not have eyes on the ball" if you watch the replay, lynch has wakelin in a headlock, holding him behind lynch, any guesses as to why he couldn'e have had eyes on teh ball!!

i wish they'd grow some balls and just admit they were wrong.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:22 pm

okay just watched the coverage of the goal from behind....here i was thinking that we were, in the end beaten by the better side..but now we were well and truley robbed...it was not just the 6 points, it was the momentum...the AFL and the umpiring association should be ashamed of themselves....Brisbane may have the cup, but in my mind, I now know who the real premiers are this season...I would hate to be a Brisbane player knowing that nothing THEY did, won that grandfinal for them.....

PISSED OFF!!!!

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:19 pm

ok...i havent seen the new footage(why the hell wasnt it shown on the day? afl's directive?). for those who have witnessed it and im not talking about being in the crowd as passion and skewered views can effect opinion, was it a goal? take off your collingwood hat and look at it purely from a yes/no point of view. goal or not? i have no reason to doubt those who have already posted here, but i just want to know one way or the other. cheers

Murray 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:20 am

Goal easily, and I have been known to take off my Collingwood hat occassionally

DARE TO STRUGGLE - DARE TO WIN

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:59 am

The fact that they are defending these decisions just shows that they are trying to cover there arses.
I didn't know there was any footage from behind the goals - they haven't shown it too often - I don't need any proof, it was a goal.

If you bleed black and white you'll never walk alone.
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:22 pm

No proof needed for me either.... it definitely was a GOAL!!  

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WERE there)
RHYSTHEKING 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:27 pm

I don't think they (umpires) mind ppl baging, after all....who are the ones cashing there $5000 pay cheque at the bank for 3 hours work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: