Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Good article from Lloyd

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swooper_101 Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:08 pm
Post subject: Good article from LloydReply with quote

I don't post much but when I do its about something dear to me. Been reading and posting for nick's since I first got the 56k modem way back in the 90's.

However this article is a great read and it is something I have been saying for 10 years since MM has been at the club. I am in no way saying it is his fault. However, maybe after last weeks game (which we should of won if we kicked straight) more time being put into it at training. But its just been the same thing for the a decade.

Love him or hate him he is right. Same with the article written by BT.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/92330/default.aspx
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely spot on. I posted pretty much exactly the same thing - only less detailed and less authoritative insofar as it wasn't coming from someone who kicked almost 1000 goals at the highest level of competition - in the goalkicking thread here earlier this week and nobody even bothered to reply to it. Most football people - fans, players, coaches - think goalkicking is too boring to bother with.

Boring? Well, yes. It's one of the least interesting parts of the game, especially when players take forever lining up. But goals win matches and nothing else counts.

swooper_101 Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 pm

True true. I have longed for a forward that is in the mold of Lloyd. When I dont have to cover my eyes when we are taking a shot at goal directly in front 30m out (like I do with cloke, like I did with Tarrant...well the whole damn team now that I think about it).
panga Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Yeah I hate that poncey prick, but he does make a fair point. Every time I've been down to a training, they do about 5 mins goalkicking at the end, and that's it. Even then it doesn't look like any coaches are watching.
sq3 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:09 pm

And he also mentions the 'routine' as in the pre shot routine in golf.
swooper_101 Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 pm

I remember reading or hearing someone mention basketball and how at practice each player gets atleast 100 shots. Yet we dont do the same? I understand the game has got alot faster.

The goals need to be kicked. What is the point of having a tall forward to mark the ball if he can't damn well kick the goals? Or what is the point having a forward line for that matter.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:52 pm

He was a Diver but he is Spot on Here
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 pm

He is spot on ,but its not rocket science is it,you would think even dumest fwd could work that out.

Last edited by BHPIE on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:08 pm

Can't argue.

But the one thing I will point out is that he clearly said he took the time after training to do the shots.

I would be suggesting Cloke and co do the same. I know Trav does a bit extra after training from time to time. This should be standard practice for him now. Every session, an extra hour in front of goal....at his own discretion.

Same goes for Jack Anthony. Last year he didn't miss. But things were happening for him. This year, his form has declined...and last week in the VFL he missed a set shot about 25 metres out directly in front (this after mouthing off arrogantly to his opponent for giving up a free kick).

The best full forwards took it upon themselves. If fitness staff don't set aside time for it, then the players should be making time for it themselves.

But no doubt the fitness guys are restricting coaches. I just don't buy it entirely. If a guy is missing shots on goal during the matches, he should be the one requesting the extra training. A coach should not have to tell him.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:11 pm

We need a goal kicking coach IMO. A genuine goal kicking coach, ie. a Lloyd or someone similar. Pay them a mint, and they can hone the technical/practice aspects.
sq3 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:04 pm

What they need is for the players to do set goal kicking drills each week.

Then they do need one on one training - with video analysis and timings - exactly the same way the golfers do - and they have proved that it does work.

Last edited by sq3 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Quote:
"I was all about taking my time with my routine and maximising that shot I had on goal because I treated it like a piece of gold. You work so hard to get hold of it you want to nail the opportunity."

Hallelujah.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:18 pm

hit the nail on the head. absolutely no emphasis is put on goal kicking what so ever these days and it shows. even kicking in general is poor from what i've seen from all teams this year. sure at the start of a new season the players skills are going to be a bit raw but thats no excuse. it's their job! it's what they get paid to do and they should be doing it well. cloke has no confidence in front of goal because he obviously doesn't practice enough. if he was to stick around for an extra 2-3 hours a week to practice set shots then im sure he would improve. but the same could be said about the whole side. JA maybe an exception.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 pm

In 2008, while assisting Liam Jurrah, I attended almost all of the pre-season training sessions for our VFL squad, and I can't recall seeing any time at all devoted to goal kicking drills. It's insane.
swooper_101 Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:25 pm

We should start a petition to get some goal kicking practice at the club haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: