Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

KFC ad called racist, what a joke!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 am
Post subject: KFC ad called racist, what a joke!Reply with quote

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/mp/6651045/kfc-ad-blasted-as-racist-in-the-us/
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be one of the most racist things I have ever seen, how dare KFC suggest that any person not of caucasian decent would ever enjoy the taste of their chicken. Outrageous.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:23 am

OEP wrote:
That has to be one of the most racist things I have ever seen, how dare KFC suggest that any person not of caucasian decent would ever enjoy the taste of their chicken. Outrageous.

As mentioned in the article, fried chicken and 'african' americans has some cultural 'sensitivity'. Perhaps ask Fuzzy Zoeller about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ufpU3X-t4w

http://edition.cnn.com/US/9704/21/fuzzy/
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Remember the add where the Melbourne guy didnt get on the tram cos it was filled with Collingwood supporters... RACIST!

And what about the add where the two Melbourne supporters were sitting amoungst celebrating Collingwood supporters... RACIST!

Americans wouldnt even know what Cricket is and i even doubt they know where the West Indies are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIhf41ctkM
Million dollars say the West Indies love the commercial.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:40 pm

My first impression is that whoever made that ad needs to be fired for being socially illiterate, even if the discourse is largely American. We laugh at Americans for not knowing where Australia is on a map, but you would have to be pretty socially unaware not to be familiar with this. And even without any knowledge of US popular culture there are related discourses here which ought to trigger discomfort.

Moreover, how plain aloof would you have to be to overlay the fried chicken discourse on a stark juxtaposition of black and white peoples in the act of exaggerating their national identities at a sport which has in recent times been involved in a host of public racial kerfuffles? Talk about dumb and dumber.

It's funny how this connects to the debate we've been having in the other thread. When does ignorance and stupidity become negligence? The stupidity defense is wearing thin on me. In my view, unless impaired judgement is involved we once again have a degree of negligence.

But that debate aside, at the very best you'd fire those who produced and approved the ad for being professionally incompetent. Public communicators are supposed to be experts in the impacts of public communication FFS. And it's not just about KFC; how much does stupidity like this damage the national brand? The "racist Australia" discourse is growing by the day and is an increasing constraint on our ability to get things done in the world. Just another embarrassment for those engaged in international trade and diplomacy to deal with I guess.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:17 pm

London Dave wrote:
OEP wrote:

As mentioned in the article, fried chicken and 'african' americans has some cultural 'sensitivity'. Perhaps ask Fuzzy Zoeller about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ufpU3X-t4w

http://edition.cnn.com/US/9704/21/fuzzy/

I agree but after a short time over there I feel that maybe something of "throwing stones in a glass house" scenario as the african american's were the worst for making fun of that exact cultural sensitivity.

Last edited by OEP on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:06 pm

pietillidie wrote:
My first impression is that whoever made that ad needs to be fired for being socially illiterate, even if the discourse is largely American. We laugh at Americans for not knowing where Australia is on a map, but you would have to be pretty socially unaware not to be familiar with this. And even without any knowledge of US popular culture there are related discourses here which ought to trigger discomfort.

Moreover, how plain aloof would you have to be to overlay the fried chicken discourse on a stark juxtaposition of black and white peoples in the act of exaggerating their national identities at a sport which has in recent times been involved in a host of public racial kerfuffles? Talk about dumb and dumber.

It's funny how this connects to the debate we've been having in the other thread. When does ignorance and stupidity become negligence? The stupidity defense is wearing thin on me. In my view, unless impaired judgement is involved we once again have a degree of negligence.

But that debate aside, at the very best you'd fire those who produced and approved the ad for being professionally incompetent. Public communicators are supposed to be experts in the impacts of public communication FFS. And it's not just about KFC; how much does stupidity like this damage the national brand? The "racist Australia" discourse is growing by the day and is an increasing constraint on our ability to get things done in the world. Just another embarrassment for those engaged in international trade and diplomacy to deal with I guess.

Sorry no. We do not have to pander to American racial sensitivities in Australia. There is nothing either intrinsically or even subjectively racist in this commercial when viewed from an Australian or Caribbean point of view. You can't expect everybody, everywhere in the world to be aware of every racial stereotype. What's even more ridiculous is the stereotype is that Black Americans eat alot of fried chicken. People in this commercial are Caribbean islanders among whom no such stereotype exists. Politically correct nonsense and racial guilt at it's finest.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Dear oh dear. FFS, the Ad was made in Australia. No African Americans were used in the making of this ad, the "southern fried chicken" thing doesn't apply to West Indians and Australia. This is the yanks putting their lens over something that has nothing to do with them.

Racist? Is it Racist that KFC has been sponsoring the West Indies Cricket team for years?

Total crock of shite. it's one of several ads from KFC about how the new pocket thingo shuts people up. Put it in context pls.

Pietillidie, you may well be an academic but if you want me to read your posts please summarise, I have a short attention span.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Sorry no. We do not have to pander to American racial sensitivities in Australia. There is nothing either intrinsically or even subjectively racist in this commercial when viewed from an Australian or Caribbean point of view. You can't expect everybody, everywhere in the world to be aware of every racial stereotype. What's even more ridiculous is the stereotype is that Black Americans eat alot of fried chicken. People in this commercial are Caribbean islanders among whom no such stereotype exists. Politically correct nonsense and racial guilt at it's finest.

Do you think the range of symbols available to a viewer come with a flag of origin stuck to them? Do you think African Caribbean people have no shared pool of ideas with African Americans? Have you ever talked to Africans to check if they have a sense of international kinship? (My African friends certainly do). Are you arguing that this particular discourse is not available to the Australian mind? Have you not noticed how racially-charged cricket has been in recent years? And even if no such discourse existed prior, the symbolism of the ad was clearly all wrong and draws on a much older British colonial discourse (enlightened white man surrounded by impassioned blacks resolves the potential threat with a gift; have we not read that story anywhere else before?). And we're not dealing with old Mrs. Jones' naivete; we're dealing with professional public communcators trained in the manipulation of nuance. These guys are paid to understand and arrange symbols. Big fail, big embarrassment.

We can rightly bag the Americans for a lot of things, but everyone knows we are centuries from electing a black prime minister. The louder we defend our buffoonery the worse we look. I actually don't think we're more racist than most nations, we just look like primitive isolated twats trying to defend the indefensible, further fueling the ignorant bogan discourse.
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Right, so we all need to be aware of certain things and the possible relevant ‘nuances’:

The fact is Americans themselves created these negative stereotypes with certain products, mainly foods back in the 1920’s.
So if we don’t want offend Americans we should refrain from having black people in ads for the following products; as they may get upset due to past portrayals in old advertising campaigns.

Syrup: Uncle Remus brand syrup, big no-no , the whole uncle thing

Pancake mix: Aunt Jemima; large black women cooking food stereotype.

Porridge: Cream of Wheat ads with Rastus.

Soap: this could be seen as a possible relation to Picaninny type caricatures like the Gold Dust twins.

Its not just confined to food, Adidas do a watermelon themed basketball boot, so you couldn’t show a black person wearing those while shooting baskets…

now... what else , ah asian people eating rice...

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:58 pm

how can it be racist when west indian people eat kfc and i think they have kfc over there as well. its just the yanks getting all protective
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:33 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Do you think the range of symbols available to a viewer come with a flag of origin stuck to them? Do you think African Caribbean people have no shared pool of ideas with African Americans? Have you ever talked to Africans to check if they have a sense of international kinship? (My African friends certainly do). Are you arguing that this particular discourse is not available to the Australian mind? Have you not noticed how racially-charged cricket has been in recent years? And even if no such discourse existed prior, the symbolism of the ad was clearly all wrong and draws on a much older British colonial discourse (enlightened white man surrounded by impassioned blacks resolves the potential threat with a gift; have we not read that story anywhere else before?). And we're not dealing with old Mrs. Jones' naivete; we're dealing with professional public communcators trained in the manipulation of nuance. These guys are paid to understand and arrange symbols. Big fail, big embarrassment.

We can rightly bag the Americans for a lot of things, but everyone knows we are centuries from electing a black prime minister. The louder we defend our buffoonery the worse we look. I actually don't think we're more racist than most nations, we just look like primitive isolated twats trying to defend the indefensible, further fueling the ignorant bogan discourse.

Pretentious twaddle. This is an Australian cricket fan sitting in the West Indian steel drum section feeling out of place. He joins the camaraderie by handing out some KFC. Black/White is a label that is only even considered by those with racial stereotypes already entrenched (like the yanks in this case). I would think no differently of this commercial if it was a lone West Indian amongst the Barmy Army or Aussies and he handed out some beers or KFC or whatever. The only people who would possibly be offended are those who have misinterpreted the ad or taken it out of context. This is no 'elightened white man' there is no 'potential threat' and would not be seen as such by any reasonable person in this light, only by overthinking academics and hand wringing racial guilt mongers.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Pretentious twaddle. This is an Australian cricket fan sitting in the West Indian steel drum section feeling out of place. He joins the camaraderie by handing out some KFC. Black/White is a label that is only even considered by those with racial stereotypes already entrenched (like the yanks in this case). I would think no differently of this commercial if it was a lone West Indian amongst the Barmy Army or Aussies and he handed out some beers or KFC or whatever. The only people who would possibly be offended are those who have misinterpreted the ad or taken it out of context. This is no 'elightened white man' there is no 'potential threat' and would not be seen as such by any reasonable person in this light, only by overthinking academics and hand wringing racial guilt mongers.

I would like to say you've hit the nail right on the head, but I fear I may offend skinny people, flat tops and MC Hammer. Laughing
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Poll: Do you think the ad is racist?

The New York Daily News staged a poll on its website asking if the ad was offensive.

The vote was almost split, with 51 per choosing "No, it's just lighthearted and fun" while 42 per cent selected "Yes, it plays on stereotypes".

Six per cent voted "I'm not sure".

When Americans can count, I will take them seriously.
Dragme 

Screaming.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 pm

Quote:
THE AGE May 26, 2009

Racist, backward: Sol's parting shot

Controversial former Telstra chief Sol Trujillo has taken a swipe at Australia, describing the nation he called home for four years as racist, backward and like "stepping back in time".

Asked in a BBC interview whether there was racism in Australia, Mr Trujillo said: "I think it was evident in a lot of ways with me personally but more importantly with others."

Sol did warn the world about us when he took his Telstra pay-packet and went home. Whether he was right or wrong, like it or not the evidence is stacking up to support these statements.

As pietillidie posted earlier "we just look like primitive isolated twats trying to defend the indefensible, further fueling the ignorant bogan discourse."

Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9   

Jump to: