Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Without reading the article, in my observation we have way too many self absorbed dickheads in general.

As a result, we have too many generally shit impatient drivers, shit cyclists with bad attitudes who put themselves at risk and far quit pedestrians who badly need the phone slapped out of their hands while walking, followed by a roundhouse slap to the head while yelling in their face "Watch where you're fkn walking, imbecile"

But maybe I'm just grumpy tonight.

Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:51 am

I'm much more interested in how we fail pedestrians by, eg, letting cyclists on the footpaths, not stopping cyclists running red lights and not requiring cyclists to ride up the bike path on the correct side of the road.

Cyclists are a danger to pedestrians on our roads. They shouldn't be near pedestrians. If they are stupid enough to go near cars, that's their business.

This is a special Australian problem. It does not arise in major European cities - there, cyclists do not seem to have a sense of entitlement to a "cycle freeway" and do not seem to think that pedestrians are "in their way".
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I'm much more interested in how we fail pedestrians by, eg, letting cyclists on the footpaths, not stopping cyclists running red lights and not requiring cyclists to ride up the bike path on the correct side of the road.

Cyclists are a danger to pedestrians on our roads. They shouldn't be near pedestrians. If they are stupid enough to go near cars, that's their business.

This is a special Australian problem. It does not arise in major European cities - there, cyclists do not seem to have a sense of entitlement to a "cycle freeway" and do not seem to think that pedestrians are "in their way".

Stop derailing the argument.

Bikes should not be on footpaths
Pedestrains should not be on roads or bicycle lanes on roads (nor to should mototorcyclists and those f*cking uber delivering scooters)
Cars kill, bicyclists don't (yes one in a gazillion do and it's irrelevant)
There are parts of roads where bikes and cars can go fast and there are many other areaes where they can't.
I have a sstrong sense of entitlement that I can ride by bike, obey the laws and not be hit or near missed by pedestrians or cars when the altter two do the wrong thing.

Australian road users need to share the road and be respectful of others: end of story.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Pedestrians shouldnt have to look out for vehicles of any kind on their footpaths. Its no good pretending that bikes shouldnt be on them - in the City of Melbourne, where I live, the place is full of shared pathways on which cyclists belt along at speeds much faster than the road traffic can typically move. Theyre a danger to actual humans. And, frankly, both cars and cycles get in the way of pedestrians and public transport. There should be no vehicles of any kind, other than public transport, approximately south of Brunswick Rd, north of the river, east of Spencer/Clarendon St and west of Smith St.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Where I work near the corner of Victoria and Swanston. apart from cyclists belting down bike lanes, you have to avoid;

Pedestrian walking erratically while staring at their phone,
Chinese food delivery bicycles with a battery engine that move as unpredictably as the pedestrians, on footpath and road,
Skateboards and stand up scooters, both feet and battery powered
And to cap it off, some clown yesterday was riding a motorised wheel

I might start carrying a 1 iron with me

partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am

After a third near miss involving cyclists in the past few days, and reading the above comments regarding pedestrians I'm wondering whether there are any actual rules applying to cyclists on footpaths. Are they supposed to give way to pedestrians? Twice I didn't hear the cyclist and nearly stepped in their path as they were behind me. Am I supposed to wear Sunglasses with rear view mirrors in order to avoid colliding with them?
WPT I realise you are an extremely responsible cyclist and you would not cycle in this manner!
I was taught to get off my bike and walk it round pedestrians when using the footpath but it seems this is not common practice these days
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:21 pm

The rule on "shared" paths seems to be to cycle like hell without deviating, ring your bell at the last possible moment from behind and generally terrorize pedestrians into walking somewhere safer, like, say, in the middle of the road.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:11 pm

I love watching the clowns on cycles zooming past cars on the left side who are waiting at the lights, blinker on, to turn left. That car moves forward as pedestrian traffic starts to reduce, we have an airborne cyclist.

I see it every morning around Elizabeth and Latrobe.

Battery boosted bicycles are by law (but rarely enforced) limited to 25kmph on roads but most cyclists, including the battery brigade, go much faster than that which means if they hit a car they're in deep shit and if they hit a pedestrian, both are. Does the TAC cover a cyclist or a pedestrian cleaned up by one?

Make cyclists pay a nominal registration fee and display a licence plate on the bike which can be used to identify and fine them for infringements. Large on the spot fines for unregistered cyclists riding on roads. clobber the self entitled dickheads, leading to a better quality of cyclists on the road, leads to better driver acceptance of cyclists.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 pm

I think the TAC cover a cyclist or a pedestrian cleaned up by one does the TAC cover a cyclist or a pedestrian cleaned up by one.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Pedestrians shouldnt have to look out for vehicles of any kind on their footpaths. Its no good pretending that bikes shouldnt be on them - in the City of Melbourne, where I live, the place is full of shared pathways on which cyclists belt along at speeds much faster than the road traffic can typically move. Theyre a danger to actual humans. And, frankly, both cars and cycles get in the way of pedestrians and public transport. There should be no vehicles of any kind, other than public transport, approximately south of Brunswick Rd, north of the river, east of Spencer/Clarendon St and west of Smith St.

Rubbish at some of this post:

Cyclists getting in the way of Public Transport? Bullshit

Cyclists should not be on footpaths and they should always ban shared paths: bad for both cyclists and pedestrians. Never use them. Never ride on footpaths. Under 12's on footpaths OK.

Footpaths in the suburbs are dangerous for any cyclists beacuse of the number of cars and driveways. Too many families / people have too many cars

Gimme winter: less cyslists, less pedestrians,

Then again crashing into lawyer could be seen as a public service

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 am

partypie wrote:
After a third near miss involving cyclists in the past few days, and reading the above comments regarding pedestrians I'm wondering whether there are any actual rules applying to cyclists on footpaths. Are they supposed to give way to pedestrians? Twice I didn't hear the cyclist and nearly stepped in their path as they were behind me. Am I supposed to wear Sunglasses with rear view mirrors in order to avoid colliding with them?
WPT I realise you are an extremely responsible cyclist and you would not cycle in this manner!
I was taught to get off my bike and walk it round pedestrians when using the footpath but it seems this is not common practice these days

Hi, i refuse to ride on footpaths. Far too dangerous. I'm sorry that was your experience. Too many people it seems just don't get basic courtesy.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:16 am

If want to see entitlement just try being here is SA as a resident for the Santos Tour down under.
The biggest problem is the semi pro mini Macenroes who have been told by their personal trainers that they are elite athletes. Their attitude to the local residents is appalling and Santos has no complaints department and dont send out warnings in the mail to residents when their roads are being closed off.
I do a bit of cycling, 50 to 80kms a week; usually, but when the TDU is in town I keep the F&#k away from the cycling community.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am

Pi wrote:
If want to see entitlement just try being here is SA as a resident for the Santos Tour down under.
The biggest problem is the semi pro mini Macenroes who have been told by their personal trainers that they are elite athletes. Their attitude to the local residents is appalling and Santos has no complaints department and dont send out warnings in the mail to residents when their roads are being closed off.
I do a bit of cycling, 50 to 80kms a week; usually, but when the TDU is in town I keep the F&#k away from the cycling community.

Adelaide is a great place to ride a bike. Back in the late 70's we hired bikes during the Adelaide festival's early days while camping in Walkerville: hardest earth to sleep on in our tent.

A few years ago I did the Coast to Coast ride: Glenelg to Victor Harbour.That was great although some clowns went too close to me for my liking when we were descending the Adelaide Hils.

Have you done the Coast to Coast ride?

https://www.bikesa.asn.au/coast2coast

This year on March 24.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 am

^
Lol,
Way out of my league, my average time on a 50Km ride is 20.7 km/h with a 439m elevation gain; hardly a world record. But it keeps me under 80kg and maintains a reasonable fitness level.
I mostly stick to bike tracks.
http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/activities/cycling/
All of the trails I ride are shared trails and I have never had a problem with any pedestrians, nor they with me.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:36 pm

Pi wrote:
^
Lol,
Way out of my league, my average time on a 50Km ride is 20.7 km/h with a 439m elevation gain; hardly a world record. But it keeps me under 80kg and maintains a reasonable fitness level.
I mostly stick to bike tracks.
http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/activities/cycling/
All of the trails I ride are shared trails and I have never had a problem with any pedestrians, nor they with me.

Mate, if you can ride 50 km or even 20 km then you can do the ride. Start at Mt Stirling. It's not a race, you ride at ur own pace and there are stops on the way. M'm not fast but if I'm tired I ride slowly. Aussie butt cream is ur friend. I'm in the 25-30 km/hr on a flat basically.For me I'd like to be in the 30-35 km group which sometimes I am. Riding in a group can lessen the workmate by up to 30% Sometimes u just need to tag on the end of a group who ride at ur desired pace.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 36 of 43   

Jump to: