Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
What's a PITA pedestrian? Is that some poor b*&^@rd who decides to take his life in his own hands by walking along a pavement that cyclists would like to use as a bike freeway?

Oh where do I start:

The ones who have headphones and decide to walk in the road:
The ones who are so engrossed with their mobile phone & decide without looking to veer on to the road/cross the road/go through a red light
Those who cross a red light without using technology (or brains)
Lawyers who think they are bulletproof & feel compelled to push their suitcases onto the road against traffic
Those who park their cars next to a copenhagen lane, dont look & proceed to cross the bike lane without looking

Off the top of my head and in my experience.

Fortntately, I have a very loud hands free ability to whistle which gets most peoples attention most of the time inluding drivers.

However, most people most of the time do the right thing: motor vehicle drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists. Some people however are not or get disproportionately angry/OTT at the slightest perceived wrongdoing.

Good article in the Age a week or two ago by John Sylvester regarding How bad Victorian drivers are compared to almost all other drivers with respect to entitlement and the #meFirst movement

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/why-are-we-so-angry-it-s-mefirst-20180606-p4zjpb.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:31 am

Victorian car drivers mostly seem to be angry, truck drivers mostly seem to be areholes, (and judging by the hole thats still in the bridge, $$%^%%$ dense!) and none of them know what the zipper is. Ive been asked a lot why I dont mind driving in the states, its because they dont seem as angry! Or maybe because guns kinda make road rage a bad idea!

I take my hat off to you, no way in hell Id ride a bike on our roads, gees on the shared bike path Ive been abused! I ring the bell and say, sorry dont want to scare you, and I cop suit, and then a yellow shirt wannabe goes past me with no bell and scares the beejeezus out of me. On a bike path!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:47 pm

We had a bit of an unfortunate incident recently we were at a park in Sandringham (at the intersection of Beach Road and Bay Road) and Ingmar ran away from me onto a bike path and straight in front of an oncoming cyclist. The cyclist, an older Serbian guy, swerved to avoid him, fell and hurt his shoulder; we had to call an ambulance in the end. Ingmar wasn't hurt himself, thankfully, but he could have been, and obviously I feel terrible for having inadvertently caused someone to be injured (by not keeping Ingmar within arm's reach). That could have been worse too, given that the bike track is right next to the road thankfully, he fell on the grass.

The irony is that, for once, there was no design fault in this instance this is one of those places where there is a dedicated bike/pedestrian track. It was just one of those really unfortunate things.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 pm

David wrote:
We had a bit of an unfortunate incident recently we were at a park in Sandringham (at the intersection of Beach Road and Bay Road) and Ingmar ran away from me onto a bike path and straight in front of an oncoming cyclist. The cyclist, an older Serbian guy, swerved to avoid him, fell and hurt his shoulder; we had to call an ambulance in the end. Ingmar wasn't hurt himself, thankfully, but he could have been, and obviously I feel terrible for having inadvertently caused someone to be injured (by not keeping Ingmar within arm's reach). That could have been worse too, given that the bike track is right next to the road thankfully, he fell on the grass.

The irony is that, for once, there was no design fault in this instance this is one of those places where there is a dedicated bike/pedestrian track. It was just one of those really unfortunate things.

Wow, that was lucky. Poor cyclist, good of him to swerve. I used to the track when I was forcing sorry encouraging my daughters to get some prep done before a great vic bike ride many years ago.

I just use the road these days

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:00 pm

The cyclist needed to be be keeping a proper look out. Just because he could go fast enough to create a problem for himself if someone stepped onto the bike lane doesnt mean he should have. If a cyclist cant stop safely in the face of a unexpected pedestrian, its the cyclists fault, not the pedestrians.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Road racing bikes are designed to go fast in a straight line. The brakes wont stop a bike safely and they aren't built for swerving. They're a pedal powered unsafe missile.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 pm

The effort of riding to Frankston and up Olivers Hill (which is short, steep and nasty) then down makes riding a road bike a wonderful experience (I do about 64 kms / hour down hill occupying a lane on a two lane road / highway that lasts about 20 seconds at most before a bike lane energes. Its never been an issue for drivers and almost all are respectful.

The issue then becomes having to ride back!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The cyclist needed to be be keeping a proper look out. Just because he could go fast enough to create a problem for himself if someone stepped onto the bike lane doesnt mean he should have. If a cyclist cant stop safely in the face of a unexpected pedestrian, its the cyclists fault, not the pedestrians.

Sounds like he was an older bloke from the sound if it. Thats why I prefer not use shared paths. Taught my kids to ride on the road at an early age due to the much higher density suburbs compared to when we were kids. Cars backing out if driveways etc

I still dont get why some cyclists have headphones on. You need your senses to be vigilant.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:48 pm

I was walking along Hardware Lane at lunchtime today. It was packed with people. As you know, the restaurants all have permits to have seating in the lane, so there is very little space at all for people to walk though and none at all for a vehicle to pass. For some reason, some moron thought it would be a good idea to cycle through there - it can only be an act of belligerence to do that: it isnt on the way to anywhere. The selfishness of the act had to be seen to be believed.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:40 pm

The (few) cyclists up here in Darwin do it properly, no head down arse up racer, just head up cruising along
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I was walking along Hardware Lane at lunchtime today. It was packed with people. As you know, the restaurants all have permits to have seating in the lane, so there is very little space at all for people to walk though and none at all for a vehicle to pass. For some reason, some moron thought it would be a good idea to cycle through there - it can only be an act of belligerence to do that: it isnt on the way to anywhere. The selfishness of the act had to be seen to be believed.

Too stupid by half and I agree selfish. It wasn't an ubereats / deliveroo / foodorama / bicyle delivery person was it?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:03 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Too stupid by half and I agree selfish. It wasn't an ubereats / deliveroo / foodorama / bicyle delivery person was it?

No, it was just a lout on a bike.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The (few) cyclists up here in Darwin do it properly, no head down arse up racer, just head up cruising along

There is a lot of types of cycling between the two you've put!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 pm

^

50% of the cyclists I saw weren't wearing helmets, I didn't see one in Lycra. They were using the bike for transportation, not trying to beat a time or get fit, which clearly had an impact on their attitude as they were chilled.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Bad couple of days for cyclists.

A female Australian tourist killed by a garbage truck in New York. Riding in the bike lane, swerved to avoid an Uber driver and got cleaned up by a garbage truck who's driver had allegedly been drinking.

Then, another female tourist, this time a dutch national riding in Sth Yarra cleaned up in a hit run in a stolen car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 32 of 43   

Jump to: