Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes should not be allowed in the City. We don't let people ride horses and buggies anymore as commuter transport in the CBD. There should just be public transport and pedestrians.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am

In Santa Monica there seems to be a big cycle culture, with none of the issues we have. Cyclists aren't trying to win the tour de france, they're just going along.

There's a massive shared pathway along the beach from Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach and while the cyclists are going faster than pedestrians and joggers, they're not going fast enough to create a problem.

The key differences seem to be speed and attitude. The cyclists there don't seem to think that they own the space, can do what they want and everyone needs to watch out for them, unlike here.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:47 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Bikes should not be allowed in the City. We don't let people ride horses and buggies anymore as commuter transport in the CBD. There should just be public transport and pedestrians.

Laughing

Next time I need some legal advice I'll go to town planning.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:
In Santa Monica there seems to be a big cycle culture, with none of the issues we have. Cyclists aren't trying to win the tour de france, they're just going along.

There's a massive shared pathway along the beach from Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach and while the cyclists are going faster than pedestrians and joggers, they're not going fast enough to create a problem.

The key differences seem to be speed and attitude. The cyclists there don't seem to think that they own the space, can do what they want and everyone needs to watch out for them, unlike here.

Yes, I think that's right. I never had a problem in Copenhagen, either - the place is full of bicycles but there is much less lycra and - so far as I could see - no cycling stupidity at all.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:05 pm

MAMIL Cyclists riding 3 abreast on country roads in 100 zones on hill crests was enough to turn my ambivalence into disdain. Cyclists are the rudest, most self entitled pack of wankers on the roads.

I'm not in favour of registration, but only because my libertarian leanings hate Government selling people back the rights to do things, but I'd be all for cyclists being more heavily policed on our roads. If they don't follow the rules of staying in their designated lanes, riding multiple cyclists abreast and running red lights then their bikes should be impounded just like car hoons. Get the antisocial morons off the road and let the cyclists with regard for others have their hobby without the hatred of motorists tarring the lot of them.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm

^

If they did that up the Goulburn Valley highway, they'd quickly be removed from the road and the gene pool by the bull bar of a B double.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 pm

So are we saying some cyclists, all cyclists, all MAMILs. Goodness me. I can see some attitude issues right here.

Cyclists are policed.
Cyclists are booked.

I reckon you should all be giving cyclists a big thank you for not driving their cars when they commute to and from work as it makes less motor vehicles on the road.

Of course there are shocking drivers: not just on weekends but daily who can kill when they dont concentrate. Bicyclists almost always dont kill others.

Bicyclists bring health and are a cost benefit to society. Cars however most of the time pollute and are cost negative to society.

I find most people most of the time are fine, be it: Cyclists, Car Drivers and pedestrians. However, the attitude of some needs to be questioned & Nicks may well be a good place to start.

🚴‍♀️ 🚴‍♀️ 🚴‍♀️

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Do you like talking to me? What happens the rest of the time?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:07 pm

watt price tully wrote:

I reckon you should all be giving cyclists a big thank you for not driving their cars when they commute to and from work as it makes less motor vehicles on the road.

How does that work? Cyclists are a PITA on the road. They don't accelerate as fast and they are slower, so they create issues for the cars behind them trying to safely overtake. A number of times I've seen cyclists on a 2 lane road pass all the traffic on the left at a red light so they start off in front at a green one, slowing a whole lane of traffic behind them.

Compared to motorcycles most bicycles are unsafe to be on a road with cars. Skinny tyres and light frames with a body perched way above the centre of gravity makes them a death trap if you have to brake suddenly.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:26 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

How does that work? Cyclists are a PITA on the road. They don't accelerate as fast and they are slower, so they create issues for the cars behind them trying to safely overtake. A number of times I've seen cyclists on a 2 lane road pass all the traffic on the left at a red light so they start off in front at a green one, slowing a whole lane of traffic behind them.

Compared to motorcycles most bicycles are unsafe to be on a road with cars. Skinny tyres and light frames with a body perched way above the centre of gravity makes them a death trap if you have to brake suddenly.

Less cars on the road. Where I ride Brighton Road, St kilda Road then Swanton street has lots of cyclists and lots of cars. Designated bike lanes. Less cars on the road = less traffic for motor vehicle drivers.

They need to build better bike infrastructure out your way because the single lanes are terrible (I would never ride there : in peak hour especially) It should be two lane and / or build a bike lane next to the road.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:32 pm

On a public highway, and especially on the scenic routes they love, cyclists often severely restrict the speed of 10 or 20 cars, which must often take risks to pass them. It takes a certain kind of mentality to consider your pleasure more important than the amenity and safety of many other people.

They are a better form of conveyance, if they have their own lane and do not have to impede others. Unfortunately, they mostly dont. Most people, confronted by that reality, would shrug and desist, knowing their pleasure is anti-social. Many cyclists instead tell you that they are helping global warming, which is not altered a jot in its course by their action, and they pretend their selfishness is virtue.

We should try to provide more cycle lanes and ways for cycling, as we build better roads and get the opportunity. Its a good thing made a bad thing by lack of infrastructure. But until we do, many cyclists are a PITA.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:51 pm

watt price tully wrote:
So are we saying some cyclists, all cyclists, all MAMILs. Goodness me. I can see some attitude issues right here.

Cyclists are policed.
Cyclists are booked.

Of course there are shocking drivers: not just on weekends but daily who can kill when they dont concentrate. Bicyclists almost always dont kill others.

Bicyclists bring health and are a cost benefit to society. Cars however most of the time pollute and are cost negative to society.

I find most people most of the time are fine, be it: Cyclists, Car Drivers and pedestrians. However, the attitude of some needs to be questioned & Nicks may well be a good place to start.

🚴‍♀️ 🚴‍♀️ 🚴‍♀️

My argument isn't about the merits of cycling on the roads versus the merits of driving on the roads. I do neither in the City and think those who do either get what they deserve. It's tolerably clear, though, that I spend much less time on the sidewalks being victimised by cars than I do being victimised by aggressive cyclists who think they have a deity-appointed entitlement to cycle at top speed along the pavements.

I do not know whether cyclists in the CBD are some special breed but there's certainly a lot of nasty, aggressive mouth-breathers amongst their ranks.

Just to make the point, again: there are such persons, of course, amongst the drivers - but those particular pr&^ks tend not to come at you up the pavement.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 pm

I had to look up the Acronym of sorts PITA : I was trying to work out the reference to my usual tofu burger / felafel wrap and the term of abuse. It goes to attitude. Unhelpful.

There are of course PITA drivers, pedestrians and bike riders.

In terms of greenhouse or pollution, its self evident that cycling is cleaner than driving a motor vehicle. Any defence of the latter is simply arguing for the sake of arguing. This may be less the case post my ingestion of legumes although as one ages you start to learn not to trust a fart as much as you used to.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:06 pm

What's a PITA pedestrian? Is that some poor b*&^@rd who decides to take his life in his own hands by walking along a pavement that cyclists would like to use as a bike freeway?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 pm

watt price tully wrote:
I had to look up the Acronym of sorts PITA : I was trying to work out the reference to my usual tofu burger / felafel wrap and the term of abuse. It goes to attitude. Unhelpful.

There are of course PITA drivers, pedestrians and bike riders.

In terms of greenhouse or pollution, its self evident that cycling is cleaner than driving a motor vehicle. Any defence of the latter is simply arguing for the sake of arguing. This may be less the case post my ingestion of legumes although as one ages you start to learn not to trust a fart as much as you used to.

Watch out, that fart may contain all the carbon monoxide and dioxide that cyclists inhale from the car exhausts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 31 of 43   

Jump to: