Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
She may have, but the gent involved is screwed and he should expect a nice fine coming forward even if he did come forward after the event. He should also be charged for leaving the scene of an accident. To add, had the Taxi pulled into the gutter correctly the cyclist would not have been able to continue on that path they would have had to go around the RHS and be doored instead.

Now in saying that, riding a cycle, motor cycle you need to be aware that no one is looking for you and you are invisible. It's no good being in the right if you are dead.

many drivers have no awareness or cognisance of how fast a cyclist imay be travelling. they cannot adjust their speed accordingly.

along st kilda rd i often cut off by drivers trying to get into the left lane who do not look for you. taxi drivers pulling over to pick up or drop off customers is equally as bad and i have had numerous run ins with them when they have come to a stop.

many incidents are caused by people who do not think or do not have their mind on what they are doing. this goes for cyclists too. many of them have not road awareness and think they are protected just because they cycle in a bike lane.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:26 am

John Wren wrote:

many people have no awareness or cognisance of how fast a car may be traveling. they cannot adjust their speed accordingly.

Replace Cycle with Car and re-read what you posted.

Maybe it's time for a speed limit for Bikes in high Traffic/Pedestrian areas. If bike cannot stop because they are going to fast the obvious fix is too slow them down!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 am

That's true, good point

I just got back from an hour ride, well actually 55 min, and 5 to un jam the chain, some guy went flying past me, I wanted to try and catch up a bit, changed gears, over wound it, and the chain was stuck between the cog and cover! Just as I got it out, some nice old dude stops and asked if I need help!

Felt like a right twit!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 am

1061 wrote:
John Wren wrote:

many people have no awareness or cognisance of how fast a car may be traveling. they cannot adjust their speed accordingly.

Maybe it's time for a speed limit for Bikes in high Traffic/Pedestrian areas. If bike cannot stop because they are going to fast the obvious fix is too slow them down!

i meant bike. but equally, there are cyclists who are dickheads and have no regard for anyone else.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 am

think positive wrote:
That's true, good point

I just got back from an hour ride, well actually 55 min, and 5 to un jam the chain, some guy went flying past me, I wanted to try and catch up a bit, changed gears, over wound it, and the chain was stuck between the cog and cover! Just as I got it out, some nice old dude stops and asked if I need help!

Felt like a right twit!
Where is the like button.

Ride a Motorcycle for a few years and then see how aware of what's going on around happens.

Cycling, Motor Cycling is dangerous. The quicker that message gets out there the better. This is not about rights, this is about reality and the reality is you are invisible. I will add driver education is hopeless, you are taught to pass a test, not to actually drive correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 am

Culprit wrote:
think positive wrote:
That's true, good point

Felt like a right twit!
Where is the like button.

Ride a Motorcycle for a few years and then see how aware of what's going on around happens.

Cycling, Motor Cycling is dangerous. The quicker that message gets out there the better. This is not about rights, this is about reality and the reality is you are invisible. I will add driver education is hopeless, you are taught to pass a test, not to actually drive correctly.

Now that Lindsay Fox has a training facility that can pass people going for a truck license the same can be said of the 457 Truck drivers who drive trucks like they use to drive taxi's.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm

1061 wrote:
John Wren wrote:

If cycles were subjected to the same safety tests as cars, they'd fail.

People pay thousands for fancy road racing bikes that are designed to be used in a closed environment, not on a road with traffic. The cyclist is basically a meat bomb waiting to explode, one minor problem and BANG. Those things can get up to impressive speeds but can't stop or dodge without the rider going flying. And if their feet are clipped into the bike, when they go flying the bike will go with them.

I her Europe used as an example a lot but every time I see video or pics of people cycling in European cities, they're on slow cycles, not racing bikes.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:31 pm

I reckon the girl was looking for a dooring, riding just fast enough and having camera's activated to catch someone in the act so she could be an internet hero posting it online. She seemed more intent of filming the gent that worrying about anything else, including her dignity.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
1061 wrote:
John Wren wrote:

If cycles were subjected to the same safety tests as cars, they'd fail.

People pay thousands for fancy road racing bikes that are designed to be used in a closed environment, not on a road with traffic. The cyclist is basically a meat bomb waiting to explode, one minor problem and BANG. Those things can get up to impressive speeds but can't stop or dodge without the rider going flying. And if their feet are clipped into the bike, when they go flying the bike will go with them.

I her Europe used as an example a lot but every time I see video or pics of people cycling in European cities, they're on slow cycles, not racing bikes.

Not quite. The cleats click in but come out under pressure/ force usually needs to have a little sideway movement. You can have them very tight or degrees of looseness. Mine are pretty loose but fit in snugly. They're not concrete shoes Wink

A cyclist is only a meat bomb waiting to explode if a car or truck or a taxi & their passengers do not obey the road rules, have no sense of respect or notion of sharing & are aggressive idiots or a combination of these.

With respect to said woman, she is in the legal right, the taxi driver & the passenger is clearly in he legal wrong.

However, what type of idiot wold ride there like that. Why take the risk?

I've nearly been doored by folks getting out of the drivers side onto a bike lane. I'd say about every fe days it's an issue, every month or more its a significant issue for me riding.

As had been said before, it's why cyclists should ride to the right edge of the white line when riding in the cycle lane.

If there is little room & one lane only & in the city then as a cyclist use up the lane & do not allow cars to go through. Cars are like gasses & liquids. They take up all available space allowed to them. If you don't allow space for cars in a narrow confined area then don't you don't get run over. For me it's not a difficult equation.

I'm referring to the city to be clear. When I do take Collins street (rarely) or Flinders Street (also rarely) it is only for part of a block & like adolescent sex it only lasts for a short while Wink

I've seen cyclists drive in Queen Road & Kings way FFS - why TF would you do that?

Dooring is about the single most common reason for bicycle accident presentations to the Emergency Department. Driver distraction is also another common reason.

Having said that let me say this: pedestrians with ear phones, mobile phones are a huge menace to cars & bike riders. It makes the changes to Swanston Street a double edged sword.

While slamming bad drivers or unaware drivers etc I'll invariably acknowledge / praise drivers doing the right thing - such as not parking over the little rectangle painted at intersections with the bike symbol in it. Ignorant & selfish drivers tend to park over that & it gets in my craw, stuck in my goat & makes me mad as hell Very Happy Mad

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:12 pm

"The weather shouldn't matter when your riding a bike" that's hubby last night

7.10am I take off (had to go to work for a change, bugger) hmm, 6k to sanctuary lakes, feelin good, another 6 or so to apex park, mm easy, 3 to the pier, piece a cake, starting to drizzle, that's ok, but why are those people walking towards me pushing bikes? Meh! Whatever, so on I go cruising now all the way to the boat club, bugger gotta get home to get ready for work. I turn around and $$%^%%$ BANG the wind hits me, and the needles of rain smack me in the face. -and it's a loooooong way home! OM $$%^%%$ G. I changed gears more times than Nigel Mandela in his career, I puffed, and panted, and ran out of water 1/2 way home, I swear I had me tongue hanging out like a (*&^%^& blue tongue lizard, or Debbie does Dallas on holidays.

Oh my poor ass, I've got the wedgie from hell and the burn in the calves surely comes from the depths of hell.

Felt pretty good defrosting in the shower.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:52 am

This is an interesting Dutch perspective in Cycling in America which seems very similar to Australia btw.

http://www.upworthy.com/a-dutch-guy-is-disgusted-by-america-but-he-has-a-hell-of-a-point?c=ufb2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:33 pm

I lol'd all the way through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:00 pm

These things look interesting. Should have more stopping power than a skinny tyred racing bike.

http://www.toofatbikes.com/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Oh god you can't call them that, the fattys will be up in arms
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:16 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
I reckon the girl was looking for a dooring, riding just fast enough and having camera's activated to catch someone in the act so she could be an internet hero posting it online. She seemed more intent of filming the gent that worrying about anything else, including her dignity.

agree, I hate these kinds of people. an apology would be enough for most people. that woman just wouldn't let it go. typical entitled twat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 29 of 43   

Jump to: