Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning onto Lorimer Street Port Melbourne this morning I nearly cleaned up a cyclist. Time 4.45am. No lights, no reflective gear. I pulled up next to him and asked him if he filled out an organ donation form. He in turn abused me for not seeing him. I then pulled up and got out the car and asked him how I am supposed to see him and pointed out all the obvious. He didn't care of which I replied, well donate your organs as you won't be needing them soon.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Culprit wrote:
Turning onto Lorimer Street Port Melbourne this morning I nearly cleaned up a cyclist. Time 4.45am. No lights, no reflective gear. I pulled up next to him and asked him if he filled out an organ donation form. He in turn abused me for not seeing him. I then pulled up and got out the car and asked him how I am supposed to see him and pointed out all the obvious. He didn't care of which I replied, well donate your organs as you won't be needing them soon.

Utter idiot: Riding at night in the City on a poorly lit area with no lights. Lucky you didn't collect him.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:25 pm

There is a segment on a current affair about a cyclist killed in a road rage incident, tomorrow night, Wednesday guys
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:25 pm

We just had this new 'Roadsafe' ad launch on TV over here... one fact that pricked my ears up '46% of cyclists killed on the road, weren't wearing a helmet' .... hmmm so 54% who were killed were.
Is it just me, or does that mean it's safer not to wear a helmet?

https://youtu.be/WKcc_Cfs4l4 28 seconds in.

Never have, never will. The stats back me up.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:16 am

Skids wrote:
We just had this new 'Roadsafe' ad launch on TV over here... one fact that pricked my ears up '46% of cyclists killed on the road, weren't wearing a helmet' .... hmmm so 54% who were killed were.

You don't wear a helmet or you don't ride on the road.

Wearing a helmet can prevent head injuries if you fall and hit your head. Too many people don't wear their helmets properly.

Don't wear a helmet? .... there was a line about drink driving that is apt here.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am

100% of pedestrians killed were not wearing helmets.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Skids wrote:

You don't wear a helmet or you don't ride on the road.

Wearing a helmet can prevent head injuries if you fall and hit your head.

Both. Don't wear Lycra or stupid shoes either. Boardies, tank top & surfer Joes. You just have to fully open the pedal straps to get the thongs in.

Got to the pool in my quickest time yesterday 6.2k in just under 15 minutes. Had a reasonable run with the 8 road crossings. Pushed out a pretty quick (for me) 1200m swim in 32 minutes, the ride home was closer to 19 minutes.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:56 pm

(a bit scary as I ride there) I hope they hang the bastard: hit and run. Amazing they caught him so quickly at the opposite side of town. Well done police. One is presuming the cyclist had their lights on & was well lit.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/cyclist-fighting-for-life-after-hit-run-20190328-p518c3.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:16 pm

A toss up between here and the WTF thread.

Quote:
Experts have called for the word ‘cyclist’ to be banned because they believe the term ‘dehumanises’ people who ride bikes.

A new study, conducted by researchers at Queensland University of Technology and Monash University, found there was a link between the dehumanisation of cyclists and deliberate acts of aggression directed towards them on the road.

QUT professor Narelle Haworth said the study, which questioned 442 people in Victoria, NSW and Queensland, found 55 per cent of non-cyclists rated cyclists as ‘not completely human’. She is behind a push to scrap the word ‘cyclist’ and replace it with the term ‘people who ride bikes’

https://www.australianewsly.com/2019/03/28/ned-because-it-them/?fbclid=IwAR2ESc7AtTjvcKA73hAgyNBW41K46IO5sWBSxCPe-8Qv1S6rqJEPnWphDVg

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:42 pm

I think it's both at least somewhat true and a pertinent example of the folly of trying to change society purely through language (which is, after all, the primary aim of political correctness). There's obviously a reason why we're concerned about the dehumanisation of cyclists as opposed to pedestrians, drivers or any other group of people for which a descriptor is used as a noun: because the prejudice exists independent of the actual word choice, and as such can't simply be resolved by changing the word. Replacing the term with an ultra-PC "people who ride bikes" might counteract that prejudice to some extent, but it would also ensure that that term would later be "reclaimed" as a pejorative, necessitating the creation of a new one. And so on into infinity. Better to tackle the prejudice at its roots.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:06 pm

She is running with the "drivers dont see cyclists as fully human" angle because 55% of the drivers surveyed likened cyclists to the pictures of cockroaches and mosquitoes. I'm thinking this is because most drivers think of them as annoying pests rather than them thinking they are actual insects.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:20 am

The entire structure of our built environment is predicated upon massive, powerful, fast objects driving on roads.

Consequently, getting on a bicycle and riding on a road is a very risky act. It's like swimming in the dark in shark-infested waters. Most of us are not stupid enough to do it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:14 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The entire structure of our built environment is predicated upon massive, powerful, fast objects driving on roads.

Consequently, getting on a bicycle and riding on a road is a very risky act. It's like swimming in the dark in shark-infested waters. Most of us are not stupid enough to do it.

hehe, yep, 100%

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

You've derailed the argument to fit a limited and incorrect view in terms of the premise and the conclusion.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:19 pm

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

hehe, yep, 100%

See above, not even 10% correct.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 39 of 43   

Jump to: