Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackAndWhiteSince87 Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea for anyone who cycles down Nepean Highway,from Mordialloc down to Carrum-USE THE STATION ST BIKE LANE!
I am so sick of nearly hitting cyclists on Nepean Highway...and the ones who ride 2 or 3 a breast...I swear one day,someone is going to come off second best and I don't think it'll be my car!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Bike riding is not my thing. I can appreciate and sympathise with those who want to get fit, cycle for fun and recreation etc, but a couple of things get forgotton by some.

the roads were built for cars. They're being modified to cater for cycles in lots of cases by the additions of bike lanes, but lots aren't and when cyclists block lanes and slow down car traffic they're not popular.

To the d1ckheads who ride several abreast, taking up car lanes, running red lights and ignoring road rules except to sook when cars get too close, you're in the running for a darwin award. Get out of the gene pool and stay out.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:47 pm

JacJacJacqui wrote:
Melbourne to Frankston? Jesus.. I think I'd die..

so i choose today to head to frankston. i thought i was going to explode as i passed mordialloc on my way back.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:40 pm

Great programme this morning on am Radio - Radio National about cycling & roads etc. on the "Background Briefing programme. it's repeated on Tuesday Evening about 7 or 7.30 pm I think.
Here is a link to the programme .

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/backgroundbriefing/stories/2010/2769072.htm

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Had a group of cyclists abuse me for just missing them as they rode through a red light. Caught up with them again at another red light which they ignored and proceeded to go through once again. Abusing motorists as they went along. All of a sudden a car did not give way to them and the leader of the pack braked hard and pulled up in time but the rest all ran in the back of each other. Bloody hilarious and KARMA!!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Culprit wrote:
Had a group of cyclists abuse me for just missing them as they rode through a red light. Caught up with them again at another red light which they ignored and proceeded to go through once again. Abusing motorists as they went along. All of a sudden a car did not give way to them and the leader of the pack braked hard and pulled up in time but the rest all ran in the back of each other. Bloody hilarious and KARMA!!

good. got their right whack. why do cyclists think they can be exempt from the law and run red lights?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Little man syndrome on wheels. Neutral
London Dave Aquarius

Jete jedna pivo prosm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm

jmcp wrote:
why do cyclists think they can be exempt from the law and run red lights?

for the same reason motorists speed.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Article in The Age today about local councils in the Beach Road vicinity banning parking between about 6am & 10 or 12 midday on weekends.
SEN Kevn Bartlett had a former cyclist on who was hit by a truck & made paraplegic I think some years ago on beach Road. He was also featured on the link I posted the other week - Background briefing on 3AR sorry, Radio National am radio 621. Unfortunatley, I was mowing the lawn on this f....'n hot day so I missed KB's voice.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/bay-parking-ban-pumps-cyclists-deflates-residents-20100209-npqp.html

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2010/01/bbg_20100131.mp3

Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Jump in the number of doorings of cyclists:

From Bicycle Victoria on line read:

Opportunity knocks for dooring campaign
9 January 2012. Two Thousand and Twelve is shaping up as the Year of the Door, with growing media and community interest in the dooring issue ahead the Operation Door Knock campaign which rolls out in the coming months.

Operation Door Knock is a response to the rise in doorings which suddenly spiked in 2009 and 2010.

Preliminary research for the campaign is due to get underway soon, to be followed by a series of road user engagement exercises on Melbourne streets focused on drivers and riders.

The operation is a joint venture of Bicycle Network Victoria and Road Safe Action Group - Inner Melbourne (RSAG-IM), together with Victoria Police and VicRoads.

The Coroners Inquest late last year into the tragic death of James Cross in Hawthorn in 2010 seems to have triggered a new level of awareness of the problem across the community. See The Age feature.

The Coroner was told that the rate of doorings had increased dramatically, reaching 171 in 2009 and 161 in 2010. In nearly all the recorded crashes there was an injury of some kind.

The trend is also reflected in Bicycle Network's own membership crash data, which shows doorings doubling in a year.

Dooring made the media again in late December when the Chief Officer of the CFA, Euan Ferguson, had a door opened on him while riding on Riversdale Road at Hawthorn on Christmas Eve, breaking his hand.

It is also expected that the long-awaited VicRoads campaign aimed at improving driver-rider awareness will kick off next month, and may further highlight the dooring issue, among others.

The Door Knock campaign this year will test a number of initiatives aimed at making drivers more aware of the likelihood of riders on the street, and the of the need to be mindful when opening doors.

One behaviour change concept being looked at is to develop in drivers the habit of opening the door with the left, or inside hand. This method, taught to drivers in several European countries, has apparently been successful as it forces drivers to swivel in their seats and positions them to look for bikes, as well as restricting the initial arc of the opening door.

A dooring is always the fault of the driver, but there are measures riders can take to manage the risk and prevent injury. The campaign will also remind riders, especially those new to commuting, to stay out of the door zone so as to reduce the chance of being surprised by an opening door.

Door Knock will probably start in locations in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, St Kilda Road and Chapel Street.

For further information on the car door issue see here.

http://theprojecttv.com.au/video.htm?movideo_p=39696&movideo_m=154332

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 pm

stoliboy wrote:
I do a bit of cycling.

Cycled from Hue to Nha Trang in Vietnam in 2007 as part of a charity ride.

Also go in the 'Critical Mass' bike rides as well in Sydney and now in London. If you have never been on one they are great... usually the last Friday of every month and you go on an unscripted ride around the city. Every November in Sydney the ride goes over the Harbour Bridge.

Here is a link to the Melbourne 'Critical Mass': http://www.criticalmass.org.au/melbourne/

Bad bad bad bad bad man Mad

These so called critical mass bike rides block traffic during the city's peak hour - and they do it intentionally, to hack off as many motorists as possible. I love riding my bike and I'm all for more cycling infrastructure, but the dogs who think they have a god given right to gridlock the city and steal thousands of people's time need to be taken out into a paddock and shot.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:17 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
stoliboy wrote:
I do a bit of cycling.

Also go in the 'Critical Mass' bike rides as well in Sydney and now in London. If you have never been on one they are great... usually the last Friday of every month and you go on an unscripted ride around the city. Every November in Sydney the ride goes over the Harbour Bridge.

Here is a link to the Melbourne 'Critical Mass': http://www.criticalmass.org.au/melbourne/

These so called critical mass bike rides block traffic during the city's peak hour - and they do it intentionally, to hack off as many motorists as possible. I love riding my bike and I'm all for more cycling infrastructure, but the dogs who think they have a god given right to gridlock the city and steal thousands of people's time need to be taken out into a paddock and shot.

Ah yes, Critical Mess, giving cyclists everywhere a bad name.

I use to ride to work every day. I was more worried about other cyclists than I was about cars & trucks.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:47 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
stoliboy wrote:
I do a bit of cycling.

I never realised that the cyclist/motorist situation was a mini-Israel/Palestine face-off.

As that seems to be the case, I also propose a two-state solution: motorists can have South Australia, cyclists can have New South Wales, and pedestrians and public transport users can reclaim Victoria!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Article in The Age today about local councils in the Beach Road vicinity banning parking between about 6am & 10 or 12 midday on weekends.
SEN Kevn Bartlett had a former cyclist on who was hit by a truck & made paraplegic I think some years ago on beach Road. He was also featured on the link I posted the other week - Background briefing on 3AR sorry, Radio National am radio 621. Unfortunatley, I was mowing the lawn on this f....'n hot day so I missed KB's voice.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/bay-parking-ban-pumps-cyclists-deflates-residents-20100209-npqp.html

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2010/01/bbg_20100131.mp3

Lucky you, good weather!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:13 pm

David wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:
stoliboy wrote:
I do a bit of cycling.

I never realised that the cyclist/motorist situation was a mini-Israel/Palestine face-off.

As that seems to be the case, I also propose a two-state solution: motorists can have South Australia, cyclists can have New South Wales, and pedestrians and public transport users can reclaim Victoria!

Bugger off. No one wants Sth Australia.

Cyclists can have Sydney, Sth Australia and Melbourne CBD. They're welcome to it.

Motorists can have the rest.

Pedestrians, pht, get a scooter or skateboard:P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 3 of 43   

Jump to: