Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David, Lola & quite a few others including me saw "Greed" on Wednesday night, a wonderful 1924 silent film written & directed by Eric von Stroheim.

Genius, sad, brutal & moving this 140 minute film (cut down rom the original 8 hours or so)

von Stroheim filmed on location (quite rare in those days apparently): "filming in natural, non-Hollywood studio locales - using real exteriors in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and interiors and street scenes in San Francisco and in Oakland. And he filmed the final fatal confrontation and shoot-out sequence in the sweltering heat of Death Valley under the very harshest conditions....."

http://www.filmsite.org/gree.html

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gllpRB4zgPI

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:13 pm

He Never Died

"Stars Henry Rollins as an immortal, cannibalistic loner that has withdrawn from society to protect both himself and others."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/he_never_died/

Great movie. Dark, funny, brutal and definitely worth the watch.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:32 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David, Lola & quite a few others including me saw "Greed" on Wednesday night, a wonderful 1924 silent film written & directed by Eric von Stroheim.

Genius, sad, brutal & moving this 140 minute film (cut down rom the original 8 hours or so)

von Stroheim filmed on location (quite rare in those days apparently): "filming in natural, non-Hollywood studio locales - using real exteriors in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and interiors and street scenes in San Francisco and in Oakland. And he filmed the final fatal confrontation and shoot-out sequence in the sweltering heat of Death Valley under the very harshest conditions....."

Trailer

It was an amazing film. Depressing, too, but what an ending! And so many strange sequences, like the family eating the skulls at the wedding feast.

Apparently only 12 people (mostly film critics of the day) ever got to see the 8 hour version, and at least a few of them considered it the greatest film they'd ever seen. Its destruction against the wishes of its director has long been considered one of cinema's great tragedies. The studio-mutilated 2 hour version is still great, though, and honestly I have no idea if I could actually sit through 8 hours of it. Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:51 pm

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Trailer

It was an amazing film. Depressing, too, but what an ending! And so many strange sequences, like the family eating the skulls at the wedding feast.

Apparently only 12 people (mostly film critics of the day) ever got to see the 8 hour version, and at least a few of them considered it the greatest film they'd ever seen. Its destruction against the wishes of its director has long been considered one of cinema's great tragedies. The studio-mutilated 2 hour version is still great, though, and honestly I have no idea if I could actually sit through 8 hours of it. Laughing

No way I could sit through 8 hours.

What a remarkable last part of that film, f*ck me. Of course the rest of the film was very good too.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:57 pm

Yyyyeeeeeaaaahhhhh, ummmmmmm, I think I'll stick to the classics, rocky, die hard, etc etc
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:06 am

Next week or so they are showing the films of Rainer Werner Fasbinder. Not all that interested in his work - saw a few many years ago although I loved Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) which was a TV series on SBS many years ago.

Looking forward to the Mexican Film Noir at Cinemateque (one of my favourite film genre's)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:07 am

think positive wrote:
Yyyyeeeeeaaaahhhhh, ummmmmmm, I think I'll stick to the classics, rocky, die hard, etc etc

ha ha!! Classics alright. Having said that I'm a sucker for "A Few Good Men" which has only been shown 1000 times in the last 6 months & which I saw in the spare room (no one else wanted to watch it).

You would have liked "Greed", was pretty good & moving.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:12 am

watt price tully wrote:
Next week or so they are showing the films of Rainer Werner Fasbinder. Not all that interested in his work - saw a few many years ago although I loved Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) which was a TV series on SBS many years ago.

Looking forward to the Mexican Film Noir at Cinemateque (one of my favourite film genre's)

Fassbinder's great I just saw his (sort of) sci-fi thriller World on a Wire, which was really entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URq7m3-SOtA

I have both films showing next week at home on DVD, though, so will probably give the screening a miss.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Went to the Melbourne Cinematheque last night & saw part of the Robert Altman festival - 2 films:

McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971) with Warren Beatty & Julie Christie followed by 3 Women (1977) with Sissy Spacek & Shelly Duvall - both about 2 hours.

The first one was great & I'm not sure about the second one. I'm still affected by that. Powerful boring, fascinating and disturbing. I'm still feeling quite uneasy about it - nearly walked out 1/2 way through but I think I'm glad I stayed. Wow. Parts of the second film reminded the signature below!!!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:40 pm

think positive wrote:

Give Creed a look; about Apollo's son with Stallone as a supporting actor.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Has anyone seen Hail Caesar?

I was thinking of downloading it but not sure if it'll be my cup of tea.

People seem to either love or hate it from the reviews.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:12 pm

Gomorrah (re-watch)

Watched it when it first came out in 2008 and was a little disappointed at the time because it suffered under the weight of my expectation. Watched it again last night and liked it a lot more. Probably because my taste in films has changed over the years and I had more appreciation for the nuanced aspects of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtdYTuRKto
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Watched the new Star Wars last night on DVD.
I liked it. Was well done.
Didn't see THAT coming! Well, sort of did see it coming as it was about to happen, but nice twist in the scheme of things.......

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:35 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Went to the Melbourne Cinematheque last night & saw part of the Robert Altman festival - 2 films:

McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971) with Warren Beatty & Julie Christie followed by 3 Women (1977) with Sissy Spacek & Shelly Duvall - both about 2 hours.

The first one was great & I'm not sure about the second one. I'm still affected by that. Powerful boring, fascinating and disturbing. I'm still feeling quite uneasy about it - nearly walked out 1/2 way through but I think I'm glad I stayed. Wow. Parts of the second film reminded the signature below!!!

Both are really good films. McCabe & Mrs Miller is one of the few westerns I've seen that I enjoyed. 3 Women is great but I'm not sure I could sit through it again. Really unsettling film.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:39 pm

That seems like enough time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 139 of 239   

Jump to: