Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

*Old* Every little bit helps. Time for a two magpie emblem?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you support the club changing it's emblem to include another magpie?
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 19 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 51

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the two Magpies.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:40 am

3.14159...etc wrote:
That is part of an Olde Rhyme and goes like this....
One for bad news,
Two for mirth,
Three for a wedding and....
Four for a Birth...
and IT relates to CROWS!... NOT Magpies, You dolt! Rolling Eyes

I have NEVER heard that the Magpie is a Bird of ill Omen!
Where did you hear that?
Carrawongs are regarded by indig' Aussies as unlucky but again, they are NOT Magpies!
Oh,....and my avatar "Heckle and Jeckle" are both Magpies,.....not Crows ! Evil or Very Mad

Personally I'd like to see the Eureka Stokade Flag replace the "so-called... Australian flag" on the Magpie Badge!
I DON'T like Rugby and I don't like Our flag with the British Union Jack in the top corner!

But that's another story and not relavent to this thread!

"Side by side We stike together!"

Are these images of JAck and Hiss??

As for the topic - leave it as it is. Tradition is bulit over years with little to no change to identity.

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Tradition is bulit over years with little to no change to identity.

Our Club emblem has changed many times over our 120 years.
Our original emblem was more like the CFC Foundation one with the two magpies in the wattle tree.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:36 pm
Post subject: Re: Every little bit helps. Time for a two magpie emblem?Reply with quote

swoop42 should have wrote:
If you see one foreign bird completely unrelated to the Australian Magpie, you can expect sorrow, but two means joy.

One bird with no relationship whatsoever to the Australian Magpie or indeed most other creatures indicates danger. Two equals joy in union.

To view one type of crow found in Europe is said to be unlucky, whereas to view two is lucky.

Quite generally in western Europe and the British Isles a type of corvid with some white feathers is regarded as a bird of ill omen. It is unlucky to see one, especially one!

There's hope though.

In China, instead of being a sign of misfortune, the local bird which has nothing whatsoever to do with the Australian Magpie is one of the most popular birds, and is seen as the messenger of good news and fortune. In fact, its name in Chinese literally means "bird of joy".

The Chinese bird which is related to the ravens and crows (and not related at all to the Australian Magpie), also called xi que in Chinese, is always used to symbolize happiness as the character xi means happiness in Chinese. Therefore, two Chinese crows facing each other means double happiness.

Yes I know it's only a load of old superstitions and there's much more important and relevant issues that will decide our clubs fate but after waiting 19 long years I'm at the point where I'II try anything to help secure our 15th flag.

Once you get the facts right and get your geography organised (or at least correct to the nearest continent), the whole idea turns out to be a massive load of crap. Who gives a farrk about a Chinese crow?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:39 pm

PS: I don't mind two magpies, just so long as they are the right ones. I rather like the idea of having two, actually.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Is there really a need to change it? I'm happy with what we've got now.

I'm not sure if we need a flag as such but a Collingwood flag might well be worth flying with the Magpie if there is gunna be change.

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu May 17, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:42 pm

One bird is enough. Give 'em the bird!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:39 pm

But that bird doesn't have any wings. Mr. Green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vgmp4MmfG0

As for the logo, one magpie is fine with me, but get rid of the bloody flag!

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:44 pm

One for sorrow
Two for Joy
Three for Girls and
Four for Boys
Five for Silver
Six For Gold
Seven for Secrets to Remain Untold

arb 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:11 pm

watt price tully wrote:
I'm not sure if we need a flag as such but a Collingwood flag might well be worth flying with the Magpie if there is gunna be change.

There's only one flag* I'm interested in seeing at the club.

* The Premiership flag of course.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 pm
Post subject: Re: Every little bit helps. Time for a two magpie emblem?Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:

Yes I know it's only a load of old superstitions and there's much more important and relevant issues that will decide our clubs fate but after waiting 19 long years I'm at the point where I'II try anything to help secure our 15th flag.

I have some lucky Collingwood charms I want to sell you
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:48 pm

David wrote:
But that bird doesn't have any wings. Mr. Green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vgmp4MmfG0

As for the logo, one magpie is fine with me, but get rid of the bloody flag!

haha, classic conchords!

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:33 pm

ClokingDevice wrote:
Who decided two Magpies is joy and one is sorrow? Is there an official body looking after these designations? Source please?

Anyway I guess we are called the Magpies, not the Magpie

See below. That divination poem relates to European Magpies though who knows? It could be relevant. Ask a druid. Razz

Quote:
Magpie symbolic meanings are numerous and varied. This stands to reason because the magpie herself is a varied creature. Her colorful character is a delight to observe with symbolic eyes because she is so unpredictable, high-spirited and expressive.

When we observe the magpie's behaviors in nature, we can pick out many strong symbolic messages.

Among her many common attributes, here are a few magpie symbolic meanings:
Quick List of symbolic traits of the magpie:

opportunistic
intellect
perceptive
flashy
refined
communicative
social
deceptive
illusion
expressive
willful

The magpie's speech is symbolic of communication and creative expression. When we hear the magpie speak it is a message to us that we might need to listen to what is being spoken to us - listen with more attention. The chatter of the magpie is also a symbolic message that we may need to speak our minds more clearly....speak up, express our opinions, be creative with our spoken words.

The magpie's obsession with shiny things is symbolic of our tendency to chase after false ideas or perceptions. When the magpie comes into our lives it is often a reminder that we may have to re-evaluate our priorities. Are we chasing after unsuitable desires? Are we serving a false ideal? Are we putting materialism ahead of matters of the soul?

The magpie builds its home in the thickest "V" of trees. Forks or V's in nature are symbolic of gateways or paths into the spirit realm. In this fashion, the magpie asks us about our level of spiritual perception. Specifically, the magpie asks to keep an open mind in matters of the spirit. She also asks us where our spiritual foundation is and encourages us to open the gateways of higher (spiritual) vision.

Her plumage is also symbolic. With striking colouration, the magpie is symbolic of flamboyance, expression, and glamour. When we see her, we do a double-take because her appearance commands our attention. This is a message for us to not hide ourselves away from the world. The magpie beckons us to reveal our brilliance (physical and otherwise) to the world. We are each composed of incredible beauty and grace - the magpie is a reminder that we must express these attributes outwardly in a glamorous display just as she does.

And just when we get to know the symbolic meaning of the magpie, she eludes us and leaves us guessing what she's all about. In nature she has been known to be shy and reclusive - yet in cities she is noted to be extremely sociable with humans. Typically, she is a scavenger...but she has also been witnessed taking down small birds and rodents - acting as a bird of prey (which is not her classification).

These and other oddities in her behavior are symbolic of illusion and perception. The magpie's message her is that not all things are what they appear to be, and we should not set our judgements in stone. Further, this aspect of the magpie is a message that we do not have to be bound to perceptions. In other words, we may want to consider departing from our habitual behaviors and avoid being type-caste into a specific role.

In ancient European cultures the magpie is said to predict omens, and there is a type of divination based on the magpie according to an old riddle. I've forgotten how the rhyme goes, but gist of it is according to how many magpies are seen the following will be one's fate:

One magpie indicates danger
Two equals joy in union
Three means good journey
Four magpies means new beginning
Five equals company coming
Six indicates an ending
Seven magpies is a good omen, carry on with your plans
Eight magpies suggest a wait period, do not continue with your plans
Nine magpies speak of love will coming to call on you, or a return of love to your life

Magpie symbolic meanings take on a brighter note in the East, where the Chinese regard the magpie as a good luck symbol, joy, marital bliss, sexual happiness, and long lasting fortune.

When the Chinese hear the cry of a magpie it is said to be an announcement of the arrival of friends and family.

The ancient Roman's viewed the magpie as a creature of high intellect and reasoning powers. She is also an attribute of Bacchus, the God of wine.

In Native American animal lore, the magpie was also viewed as having intellect. However, more often than not she was faulted for trickery and her intelligence was typically used in deceptive schemes. She cannot be judged too harshly thought because her tricks are always played out with a light-hearted, good-natured intention.

As you can see, the magpie symbolic meanings are as diverse and colorful as the magpie herself. Her messages are many, and she gives them to us with a free and happy heart

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/magpie-symbolic-meanings.html

Quote:
In Australian Aboriginal lore the magpie is symbolic of provision, motherly love and protection. Legend has it that when the world was created, the sky was pressed too tightly to the land and light of the sun could not shine fully upon the earth. The magpie took pity on humans (fumbling in darkness), and gathered sticks to pry an opening between the earth and sky so that mankind could have light. Here the magpie is the mother of light and allows for the regeneration of mankind.

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/mother-bird-symbolism.html

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 pm

The magpie shines the light in the darkness - I ike that Smile

I would be OK with 2 magpies and dropping the aussie flag. But our emblem is a magpie. We don't need two 'magpies' necessarily. If so then so should the Hawks, Eagles, Swans, Saints, Suns etc...

Until I see a better design with two magpies I would stick with what we have - which is very good.

How about just a symbolic version of the magpie - like the yin-yang Smile

tomoleary Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Two magpies would be fine. As long as whoever's designing it does a good job with the emblem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: