Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made me laugh today...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
This musical number, from the US show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which Ive never seen pretty edgy, particularly in the current climate!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu3FE7BswYI

hehe, want the shoes!!!

the last line is a bit hmm these days but yeah, i can relate!!

K 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 pm

This:

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Every time I fear that your brain has been captured by a speak-your-weight Leftist orthodoxy dispenser, you come out with something reasoned and open-minded, like this.

Perhaps the definition of a backhanded compliment.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 pm

What does "this" refer to?
David Libra

Reel around the fountain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Laughing gotta pay that (I dont think I will ever feel comfortable with nor be accepted by the proponents of any such orthodoxy, though).
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 pm

David wrote:
Laughing gotta pay that (I dont think I will ever feel comfortable with nor be accepted by the proponents of any such orthodoxy, though).

Yeah, pay it too. I think David knows that I rate his intellect very highly, and that I thought it was probably a more curious and open-minded instrument when he was about 18, rather than the crusty old age he is now... There are people whose opinions on virtually any issue can be reliably predicted once you know their opinion on any one issue. I don't think he's anywhere near that stage of terminal decline yet, fortunately !

David Libra

Reel around the fountain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:43 pm

I think there may be a lot of truth to that, sadly! I distinctly remember, when I was a teenager, being afraid of becoming an adult with stagnant, fortified views, to which too much pride and identity would be bound up in to change. It's something that I still think about now, although I can tell that I've become less flexible that I once was. These tendencies towards enquiry always seem to ossify somehow or other, although I like to think that we always have the ability to engage in self-questioning and seek out opinions that challenge us.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:04 pm

David wrote:
I think there may be a lot of truth to that, sadly! I distinctly remember, when I was a teenager, being afraid of becoming an adult with stagnant, fortified views, to which too much pride and identity would be bound up in to change. It's something that I still think about now, although I can tell that I've become less flexible that I once was. These tendencies towards enquiry always seem to ossify somehow or other, although I like to think that we always have the ability to engage in self-questioning and seek out opinions that challenge us.

Anyone with a good mind struggles with this. It's a kind of dialectic. At one extreme, you entertain every alternative possibility so comfortably and fluently that you become just an umpire, believing in nothing that's important. At the other, you know who you are, it's just that you're a jigsaw puzzle being assembled over and over again,

The only defence, I think, is to try to understand and articulate what values are inevitably in tension, and which one prefers in a clash; to try to respect both facts and ideas before assigning a value to them ; and to try, however hard, to think within principles rather than stale ideological categories. These things are all very rare at every level of society. Most of us, self very much included, fail often.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151
Page 151 of 151   

Jump to: