Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Elite Player who is Captain vs Elite captain who is average

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:06 am
Post subject: Elite Player who is Captain vs Elite captain who is averageReply with quote

One thing I noticed today was an apparent lack of on field leadership. This got me thinking on the walk back to the car from the MCG today.
With Pendles we now have a captain who is an elite player. From what I can see so far I dont rate him as an elite captain. (Some might say he is ordinary but I'm saying he is not elite as a captain).
Our last captain (Maxwell) was an elite captain IMO but an average player.

I was wondering now with this team in this position, what is more important?

Hypothetically right now if we could have one only of Pendles or Maxwell in the team, who would you choose and why?
(assume Maxwell is in his career best form to compare)

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think right now we really need a leader, someone that can get through to these kids and isn't afraid to tell them they've messed up. We saw Maxwell do this and wasn't afraid to voice his concerns.

I like Pendles, do not get me wrong, but I think he's very quiet on the field and may not have the qualities needed to be a captain. Hopefully he can start to show more as a leader but I am not sure.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:12 am

Pendles must be carrying some bad injury.
You can't go from a great to a hack like he has this year.
Something is wrong.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:18 am

thompsoc wrote:
Pendles must be carrying some bad injury.
You can't go from a great to a hack like he has this year.
Something is wrong.

Hardly a hack. We do know he has a rib injury and that is part of the reason he'd been playing in defense.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 am

The Prototype wrote:
I think right now we really need a leader, someone that can get through to these kids and isn't afraid to tell them they've messed up. We saw Maxwell do this and wasn't afraid to voice his concerns.

I like Pendles, do not get me wrong, but I think he's very quiet on the field and may not have the qualities needed to be a captain. Hopefully he can start to show more as a leader but I am not sure.

We been shit ever since Maxy had his Career Ending Injury

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:00 am

I think it's a bit more than Maxwell retiring as to why our performances have been poor Dave.

However, it shouldn't be forgotten that we were quite good in the first half of last year even though most of our victories were against bottom 10 sides, but something has gone wrong behind the scenes since our demoralising honourable losses that we endured around round 13 to 17 last year. I don't simply see our current issues as being relevant to this season's problem but rather last year's problems have spilled onto this season and are getting worse.

As I said last week, Pendles is a passive figure and I think he best demonstrates his leadership by typically leading by example and being a role model to other players about the standards that are expected of them. It's well-known that he's carrying an injury (rib injury) but it does make me wonder whether it's worth him playing through this injury every week even if presumably he goes through the short-term relief of painkillers, because at the moment he's struggling.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:52 pm

I love Pendles, wonderful player, but i always felt Swan should have been made captain, he exudes Leadership, sort of a Millane type. I also think Pendles is playing injured, hes kind of lost his spark, like the whole team, at present.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Elite Player who is Captain vs Elite captain who is averReply with quote

VicParkTragic wrote:

I Think I know where you want to go with his ball skills but Maxwell an average player that is nonsense. Maxy kicking was better than average, and he was not a sprinter but that is his only average the rest is elite!!! tackling elite plus, handball elite, reading the game elite plus, marking just below elite, spoiling elite, no fear elite plus, never give up elite plus plus plus!!!
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:25 pm
Post subject: Re: Elite Player who is Captain vs Elite captain who is averReply with quote

Mossi wrote:
VicParkTragic wrote:

I Think I know where you want to go with his ball skills but Maxwell an average player that is nonsense. Maxy kicking was better than average, and he was not a sprinter but that is his only average the rest is elite!!! tackling elite plus, handball elite, reading the game elite plus, marking just below elite, spoiling elite, no fear elite plus, never give up elite plus plus plus!!!

I dont disagree with you, I guess what I meant is that he isnt seen in the same light as Pendles

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:41 pm

^Maxy won us the 2010 flag with that wonderful saved goal and mark in last mins of the first GF, he definitely saved the premiership that day.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:48 am

VicParkTragic wrote:
One thing I noticed today was an apparent lack of on field leadership. This got me thinking on the walk back to the car from the MCG today.
With Pendles we now have a captain who is an elite player. From what I can see so far I dont rate him as an elite captain. (Some might say he is ordinary but I'm saying he is not elite as a captain).

I was wondering now with this team in this position, what is more important?

Hypothetically right now if we could have one only of Pendles or Maxwell in the team, who would you choose and why?
(assume Maxwell is in his career best form to compare)
Spot on post.
Hard to demand cracking in from your team mates when you don't crack in yourself. Pendles is an elite footballer but not an Alpha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: