Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The White Ants Guide to all of Collingwoods Problems.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(2)Use players who consistently don't stand up in finals.

yep, i can see the 15 clubs queueing up now. Rolling Eyes

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
I reckon we need to hold an annual Nick's Misery Awards.

Suggested Categories:

First place - White Ant of the Year - Nick's Perpetual Misery Trophy
Second place - Pea Heart of the Year
Third place - Miserable Old Bastard of the Year

Unfortunately for those who like a bit of a flutter, jack_spain, piesnchess and Hiss are unbackable - at least until Hiss carks it Laughing Laughing

Conversely, a Perrinial Optimistic Mediocre Satisfied award:
First Place. Happy ONE flag in fifty one years trophy
Second Place-Happy with Mediocrity Forever Award
Third Place-Slag People off with different views perpetual Trophy.
Pietillidie,ol Jock,Chinaman John, Ronnie,totally ineligible,as they are runaway raging favourites anyway. Wink

1. Blind faith award (awarded for seeing no wrong, and questions nothing to do with the club what-so-ever). Very prestigious.

2. Nick's MVP award (most valuable poster)

Go the Pies
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:09 pm

jmcp wrote:
sq3 will be disappointed becaase there is no mention of our lack of skills.

i would also like a section on buckley leading us to the promised land.

mediocre, 5/10.

No it's not the new Jamie Oliver restaurant!

And you accuse some of us of having blind faith. Confused

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:48 pm

jack_spain wrote:
member34259 wrote:
Another wasted year.
Another wasted thread.

Do any of you actually work for a living?

Spot on Member. I can't be bothered trying to argue with people who are satisfied with business as usual at Collingwood. Enjoy it people, because unless there are changes we won't see a premiership for quite some time.

What's so negative about saying what I've said at the end of the season?

(1) Play the kids, build for the future (2012 Wink )

(2) Do some serious trading for deficiences (for a change). Use players who consistently don't stand up in finals.

(3) Bring on Nathan Buckley as skills coach.

All very positive and geared for improvement. But some people are happy with where we are. Laughing

I actually agree with you jack. I'm all for intelligent change without the sulking, moaning and scapegoating.

The whole thing is far from business as usual, aside from the misery merchants choking on their fears of the unknown and dining out on nano packets of potentially negative information, as is their permanent wont.

My tip is that Bucks will have a bigger role than will be visible and far bigger than skills coach. As I have argued it has always been about adding his edge to MM's soft skills. This will be a real coaching partnership, not merely a paper one. MM has been giving his assistants increasing control of things, and he was clearly tactically more flexible this year than at any time in the past, and one can't see why these things would change. Moreover, in the light of day the position of elder statesman matches MM's paternal instincts as it is obvious how much pride he has in the success of his players and assistants. And now the testosterone of the season is over, the whole thing will gel a lot easier. One sees a lot of similarities between Bucks and Brad Scott, too, so it's not as if the right niche is not there already.

The rest of the bickering about this or that flaw the club has is meaningless sulking from "perceptive fellow" lacking in the default mood chemicals for homo sapiens.

Rocketronnie, is the dispensary open yet?

The potential of our list, including the deficiencies that need to be dealt with, has been discussed at length elsewhere.

These ought to be exciting times, not bloody miserable times. I'm glad you at least claim to be optimistic; it will put years onto your life Wink
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Nice work Neil. Mr. Green

Definitely like the idea of an 'Acceptance of Mediocrity' Award for people who stay around until the end of the game, clap the players off, think the coach is pretty good and don't agree with Leon Davis being booed by fellow Collingwood supporters. Special mention to those who purport the ridiculous idea that intoning '1 premiership in 50 years' probably won't bring us any closer to a premiership.

member34259 wrote:
Do any of you actually work for a living?

Define 'work'. Razz

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm

pietillidie wrote:

I actually agree with you jack. I'm all for intelligent change without the sulking, moaning and scapegoating.

The whole thing is far from business as usual, aside from the misery merchants choking on their fears of the unknown and dining out on nano packets of potentially negative information, as is their permanent wont.

My tip is that Bucks will have a bigger role than will be visible and far bigger than skills coach. As I have argued it has always been about adding his edge to MM's soft skills. This will be a real coaching partnership, not merely a paper one. MM has been giving his assistants increasing control of things, and he was clearly tactically more flexible this year than at any time in the past, and one can't see why these things would change. Moreover, in the light of day the position of elder statesman matches MM's paternal instincts as it is obvious how much pride he has in the success of his players and assistants. And now the testosterone of the season is over, the whole thing will gel a lot easier. One sees a lot of similarities between Bucks and Brad Scott, too, so it's not as if the right niche is not there already.

The rest of the bickering about this or that flaw the club has is meaningless sulking from "perceptive fellow" lacking in the default mood chemicals for homo sapiens.

Rocketronnie, is the dispensary open yet?

The potential of our list, including the deficiencies that need to be dealt with, has been discussed at length elsewhere.

These ought to be exciting times, not bloody miserable times. I'm glad you at least claim to be optimistic; it will put years onto your life Wink

The Dispensary is always open for those who need it. Trouble is they think they don't need it. Sometimes I think of the Isoptera as a bunch of middle aged emos crying into their Collingwood beer mugs intoning some of the magic words between sobs: "down the guts", "One flag in fifty years" and others too... Shocked Razz

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:47 pm

How about trying to work out how can we improve to the point where we can win a premiership. If you are a whinger - fine! if you are a status quo man - fine. But an open discussion is great and I love reading all opinions!
So let it flow warts and all.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:52 pm

thompsoc wrote:
How about trying to work out how can we improve to the point where we can win a premiership. If you are a whinger - fine! if you are a status quo man - fine. But an open discussion is great and I love reading all opinions!
So let it flow warts and all.

How about turning water into wine before claiming to be Jesus? Laughing
JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:15 pm

tomoleary wrote:
Neil you're impatient and seem to have a short memory.

Quote:
Collinwood needs to get players by trading/Does not try/sits on arse doing nothing.

If you remember the late 90's and early 00's Collingwood continually kept trading away good draft picks for former champions from other clubs who were past their prime. It's not the only reason but it's one of the biggest reasons why 1995 - 2000 was the darkest era in Collingwood's history.

Chad Morrison is certainly not the only example of a failed recruit.

Other failed trades or trades that resulted in players that didn't make much of an impact at Collingwood since 1994 when include: Dermott Brereton, Barry Mitchell, Richard Osbourne, Chad Rintoul, Scott Cummings, Glenn Freeborn, Jamie Tape, Ricky Olarenshaw, Carl Steinfort, Scott Crow, Alex McDonald, John Ballantyne, Bradley Plain, Tyson Lane and Andrew Ukovic.

I don't think we're ready to win a flag in 2010 but were very well placed to become a powerhouse side from 2011 until at least 2015. In my heart I badly wanted for us to win the flag this year. But realistically in hindsight we weren't ready and in a way actually overachieved this year.

We have a very good bunch of players in the 18 - 23 age bracket:

Harry O'Brien, Cameron Wood, Travis Cloke, Alan Toovey, Tyson Goldsack, Dale Thomas, Scott Pendlebury, Jack Anthony, Brent Macaffer, Chris Dawes, Jaxson Barham, Sharrod Wellingham, Brad Dick, Nathan Brown, Ben Reid, John Macarthy, Dane Beams and Steele Sidebottom.

All of these "kids" are going to grow into men over the coming couple of years and gradually get bigger and harder bodies. If anyone knows something about getting a bigger and harder body it's Bucks.

Compare Harry O'Brien to James Clement at the same age...when Clement was 23 he was playing for Fremantle and it was 1999. I'd say O'Brien is a much better and more mature player when compared at a similar age.

Compare Travis Cloke to someone like Cameron Mooney at a similar age...In 2002 when Cameron Mooney was 23 he only kicked 28 goals. Give Travis some time.

I have no doubt that this group of players is going places. But you have to be patient because they're not going to get there tomorrow.

Heath Shaw turns 25 soon, Nick Maxwell is 26, Dane Swan turns 26 in February, Alan Didak turns 27 in February. They are all definitely still part of the future.

Presti turns 31, so in 2011 he'll be 32 and will almost certainly be becoming too old and frail by then.

Leigh Brown and Josh Fraser will be 28 next season and could both go either way.

The same goes for Paul Medhurst, Leon Davis, Tarkyn Lockyer, Ben Johnson and Shane O'Bree. They may or may not be part of it. But I would consider Medhurst, Davis and Lockyer to be more of a chance than Johnson and O'Bree.

He's had a very well below average 2008 and 2009, but I think you've missed or forgotten that Josh Fraser was a great player. Maybe we should trade him? Maybe we shouldn't? I do believe he can be a great player once again. Like he was in 2002, 2003 and 2006.

Eddie McGuire has worked hard, he's put his blood, sweat and tears into helping rebuild the club. Without him we would potentially have had a similar decade to one Richmond has had: playing in one finals series. We had just finished 16th when Eddie took over, we were a complete laughing stock. I'm very grateful for what Eddie has done in the past 10 years. He's done a lot better job than Alan "the Racist f*ckwit" "absolute waste of good oxygen" McAllister did."

Let's not make stupid trades for players like Luke Ball. If he's only barely good enough to make it into St.Kilda's starting 22 then what makes him good enough for Collingwood?

Better times are coming. I don't think we're going to be the good enough to stop the top sides in 2010. But in the years to follow 2011 and beyond will anyone be good enough to stop us?

Shaw will be 24 on November 27.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 pm

How about getting Jesus and putting him in the ruck and then we will put Moses as a inside midfielder and then wait for it - we will do the spectacular and postion Mohammed at full forward. Then we will all go to heaven because we would win every year! There was an old bit of graffiti near the old hawthorn footy ground - It said what would you do if Jesus came to Hawthorn? And some great wit said move Peter Hudson to Centre half forward. The trouble is collingwood has never had a peter hudson or a leigh mathews or a peter knights - in fact Hawthorn over the years has killed us with more greater players and wait for it a waterfall of premierships. I want success not failure and if others can do it why can't we!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 pm

thompsoc wrote:
The trouble is collingwood has never had a peter hudson or a leigh mathews or a peter knights - in fact Hawthorn over the years has killed us with more greater players and wait for it a waterfall of premierships. I want success not failure and if others can do it why can't we!

thompsoc old mate, i think you'll find Hawthorn hit their purple-patch between 1976-1989, and it was a good run. Sure they had some champions. However, we contested quite a few GF's in that period too, and for reasons/excuses done to death, we came 2nd way too many times. Strange that Collingwood and Hawthorn both seemed to peak at different intervals in that time frame, rarely playing each other in finals - 1977-1978 perhaps? And gone are the days where you could go and recruit literally whoever you wanted, limited only by bogus zoning and the size of your chequebook.

Back to the present, things are falling into place on schedule. The next wave of KPPs are being brought along nicely. I don't question the players endeavour at the contest. They need to take a long hard look at the way Geelong deliver the ball under pressure, and mimick it. Again, we were one midfielder short when the day arrived. Ben Cousens was gift wrapped but ignored on probability. We are now facing a compromised draft over the next 2 seasons, and we need to identify a couple of deficiencies and hope that they are filled successfully. But the fruit will take a couple of years to ripen. So i think we are looking at 5-6th spot next year, with anything higher being a bonus.

Dyso
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:02 am

Nice post Dyso. A good run and I think we're top four material again, but after the whipping the Cats gave us I think we might be another year after that away (2011-2012).

Pendlebury was a massive, massive finals loss. He will be a champion, I am convinced of that.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:33 am

thompsoc wrote:
The trouble is collingwood has never had a peter hudson or a leigh mathews or a peter knights - in fact Hawthorn over the years has killed us with more greater players and wait for it a waterfall of premierships. I want success not failure and if others can do it why can't we!

Hawthorn got Leigh Matthews from their "country zone" which was actually suburban Chelsea. We has a Leigh Matthews in our country zone. His name was Phil Carman and he was almost as good as Matthews and probably more talented than Peter Knights. But half our country zone was in South Australia and Carman went to play for Norwood in Adelaide, where, to quote the late Bob Rose, "they let him develop such a big head that by the time he got to Collingwood (at age 24) he was uncoachable.

Not everything bad that happens to Collingwood is Mick and Eddie's fault!

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 am

Dr Pie wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

Hawthorn got Leigh Matthews from their "country zone" which was actually suburban Chelsea. We has a Leigh Matthews in our country zone. His name was Phil Carman and he was almost as good as Matthews and probably more talented than Peter Knights. But half our country zone was in South Australia and Carman went to play for Norwood in Adelaide, where, to quote the late Bob Rose, "they let him develop such a big head that by the time he got to Collingwood (at age 24) he was uncoachable.

Not everything bad that happens to Collingwood is Mick and Eddie's fault!

You sure Dr Pie? I bet The Member can find a way to make it so.....

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:26 am

Silverware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: