Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Johnno stays!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:52 am
Post subject: Johnno stays!Reply with quote

againfrom the AFL website

Johnson dedicates 'that' tackle
AAP
7:39:25 AM Tue 10 September, 2002

Collingwood defender Ben Johnson dedicated last Friday night's game-saving tackle to his teammates and coach for standing by him.

Johnson experienced first-hand the rollercoaster finals ride in his September debut, but his desperate lunge on Port's Peter Burgoyne will go down as one of the saves of the season.

Burgoyne marked just outside the goalsquare in the last quarter and, instead of going back to take his kick, jumped off the turf and ran into an open goal.

A goal would have brought Port to within one point, but Johnson grabbed his guernsey and the ball spilled free, allowing the Magpies to clear and hold on grimly to win.

Johnson said Burgoyne's haste had allowed him to redeem himself after a disastrous second quarter in which the Magpie racked up the errors and Burgoyne bagged three goals.

"I sort of had to do that because I owed my teammates a couple of goals," Johnson said of the tackle.

"I just didn't expect him to play on, but when he did my eyes lit up and I thought, `I'll get this one back for the boys'.

"It was pretty much my fingers holding on for life as soon as I saw the opportunity I thought, `I've got to get him'."

Johnson was keen to make amends after he gave away a free kick for an off-the-ball push and had a handpass intercepted for another goal in a second-quarter nightmare.

"I just wanted to bury myself, I really in the second half wanted to pay the boys back a bit for giving away a silly free kick and a few mistakes and I just wanted to pay the boys back," he said.

He said he also wanted to repay the faith shown in him by coach Mick Malthouse, who refused to shift Johnson when the going was hot.

"He did back me in and I've got to thank him for that and that's why I really wanted to come out and have a positive second half, not just for me, but for Mick as well," he said.

Johnson, 21, has played all but two games this season for a total of 51 and was delighted to have been a part of a finals win for the club he's always supported.

"That was the greatest game I've ever played in," he said.

"An awesome feeling, I can't really explain it."

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Mcgoughs_gurl 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnno rocked in the last quater!

~**Mcgoughs_gurl**~
jk- i have come to the conclusion that i would like to marry McGough only thing is that i dont think he'd want me dammit! haha

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

"AN AWESOME FEELING - I CAN'T REALLY EXPLAIN IT" SAYS IT ALL, BENNY BOY. FOR LOTS OF US. IN EVERY REPLAY I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT TACKLE. AND LEON THE GIANT'S LAST GOAL - HOW SWEET !!!
DONNY.
** FILLED WITH PRIDE TO BE PART OF THIS CLUB **
GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: