Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are We a Better Side than 1990????

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:14 am
Post subject: Are We a Better Side than 1990????Reply with quote

I heard a comment that as far as the actual ability of the players in the current team that they are streaks ahead of what Collingwood were in 1990...I know it is hard to draw a comparison because in our minds all of those guys are absolute legends..but if you match up each of our boys now with the team in 1990 I would have to say that we quite possibly could have given them a hiding.....I know this is a hard one and not taking away from our boys that did us proud by winning that flag, they will always be legends!!! just wondered what everyone else thinks???

Cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting thought, I was thinking during the season how this team was similar to the 88 (?87) team in terms of young talent coming through the ranks and causing problems for the opposition, but I reckon you're right, in terms of potential anyway, this team is right up there with 1990. Cloke and McGough have been the icing on the cake in this team, they've just added a lovely finish to a hard, disciplined side. I know Malthouse is looking to the future and I reckon he's put in place a team which can and will be a dynasty for a long time to come, no matter what they do this year.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Black_White 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:11 pm

The current team has the potential to be as good, if not better than the 1990 legends.
I actually believe that the Magpies of 1992 had a better balanced team, but come the finals things did not fall our way.
In 1990 the finals became tailor made for us when we drew a match with WC. This threw the preparation of all other teams out. We capitilised on this and so was born the "Collingwood" rule! We now have 5 minutes extra time each way after a draw in a final. If it's still tied at full time the clock continues to run and we have a "Golden" score. First team to score wins. The siren is blown.
This year seems to be a bit similar to 1990. Though we had better form leading to the finals then, the draw helped us to victory. In 2002, our unexpected win over port has moved us to the "softer" side of the draw. This gives us a huge chance that was not there a week ago.
Though our boys are just that, boys, I hope they can do a baby bombers of '93 and shock the football world.

-Craig

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:00 pm

Give it a break Northern Pie. This is a good side but, the 1990
side had Millane, Banks, Francis, Russell, Gavin Brown and Daics.

Mich@el Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:38 pm

Not yet Northern pie, but I bloody well hope I'm proved wrong. Ask the question again after the Grand final!

Millane42 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:50 am

This side in terms of skills and natural ability - leon davis, nick davis, tarrant, didak, cloke, buckley and burns - could possibly outshine the 1990 team. However, the 1990 team was a solid and experienced unit with finals toughness and a well balanced side on every line - just look at the names:

The tough and experienced - Banks, Shaw, Millane, Crosisca, Kelly, Christian, Gayfer, Monkhorst, Starcevich, Kerrison, Turner, Manson.

The skills of Daicos, Wright, McGuane, Morwood, Barwick, Russell, Francis.

and the courage of Brown...

The 2002 side would not match the 1990 yet, but they do have the potential to in a few years...

"Grinners are Winners.."
Get Smart 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:06 am

No,
This side is about equal to the side of 1987-8. Maybe in 2 years time we will be as good as the 1990 team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: