Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Don't think of climbing Uluru (Ayer's Rock)!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:22 am
Post subject: Don't think of climbing Uluru (Ayer's Rock)!Reply with quote

Climbers may be barred from Australia's famed rock Uluru

Quote:
CLIMBING Uluru may be banned under a plan by the national parks service.
Climbing the 346m rock has long been opposed by the Nguraritja, the Aboriginal tribe who regained title to the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park in 1985 and consider it sacred territory.

The tribe and federal parks service jointly manage the site, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Signs at Uluru, also known as Ayers Rock, already ask visitors not to climb, saying it is a spiritual place for Aborigines and warning that the steep, slippery climb can be dangerous.

More than 30 people have died while climbing the rock, which is higher than the Eiffel Tower and about 10km in circumference.

The draft 10-year management plan for Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park suggests an eventual closing of the climb after the tourism industry has had time to come up with alternative activities.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25752375-661,00.html

Well I won't bother then. Rolling Eyes

But they better not stop me climbing Cradle Mountain or Frenchman's Cap in Tassie.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many people express themselves that way. Who is your favorite Science Fiction author? Does "it" still refer to [quote] httpwww dotnewsdot comdot auheraldsunstory02198525752375-66100?
Nutmeg Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:41 pm

I climbed it on a school trip many years ago
Wished I hadn't - didn't really think about the significance of the place (I was 13 at the time) for other people.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Forgive my ignorance - what is the exact relevance of the site for the local tribe? And I assume from the article that the rock has no relevance to the rest of the Indigenous population.

What I'd like to know is how many people of Nguraritja descent remain, and what proportion of them care. I think there's a lot to be said for cultural sensitivity, but if you're only talking about a handful of people is it still relevant?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm a little bit with you David and a lot ambivalent. Having tourists walk all over it has to degrade the thing quicker than just leaving it alone, so what the hell is the harm in saying "no climbing". Tourists will still go there just to take photos and wander around the perimeter.

I'm not sure why it's become a sensitive topic in recent years from the local mob about people climbing it, whether they're just being precious or whether it has some real significance, but I don't really care that much.

no one's going to die if they don't have the "right" to climb Ayes Rock.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:19 am

Well, when are they going to stop the Everest express then?

Each summer now you get hundreds of climbers (some with little experience) being dragged up the world's highest mountain by the Sherpas. They believe the mountain (Chomolungma) is sacred too, but the Sherpa economy depends on it.

A rock is a rock is a rock. If people had built the structure then they might have a right to claim ownership of it. What are we going to stop next because some people believe there's something sacred about the place? Remember the Hindmarsh Bridge fiasco.
sharrod_theiceman Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:25 am

I've climbed it, would climb it again if it ever came up. They can go jump
HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:27 am

How far up?
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 am

HAL wrote:
How far up?

I can't resist that question HAL.

They can go jump 348 metres. Wink
HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:36 am

Can you please rephrase that with fewer ideas, or different thoughts?
tcnthat Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:14 am

sharrod_theiceman wrote:
I've climbed it, would climb it again if it ever came up. They can go jump

+1

Great experience to get up there. Would do it again if I went there.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 am

Tourists don't give a shit, that's the problem.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:44 am

Would not climb it
kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:41 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Well, when are they going to stop the Everest express then?

Each summer now you get hundreds of climbers (some with little experience) being dragged up the world's highest mountain by the Sherpas. They believe the mountain (Chomolungma) is sacred too, but the Sherpa economy depends on it.

Sherpa's don't get welfare Jack. Neither do the Nepalese.

I climbed it in '88 but wasn't really up to speed with it's significance to the local Pitjantjanjara. I wouldn't do it again.

By the way David, there are still plenty of the Pitjantjanjara (2500 speak the language) scattered throughout Central Australia . Many of the full-bloods of Alice are Pitjantjanjara.

From Wiki:

Quote:
According to the Anangu traditional landowners of Uluru:[9]
"The world was once a featureless place. None of the places we know existed until creator beings, in the forms of people, plants and animals, traveled widely across the land. Then, in a process of creation and destruction, they formed the landscape as we know it today. Anangu land is still inhabited by the spirits of dozens of these ancestral creator beings which are referred to as Tjukuritja or Waparitja."

There are a number of differing accounts given, by outsiders, of Aboriginal ancestral stories for the origins of Uluru and its many cracks and fissures. One such account, taken from Robert Layton's (1989) ULURU: An Aboriginal history of Ayers Rock,[10] reads as follows:
"Uluru (Ayers Rock) was built up during the creation period by two boys who played in the mud after rain. When they had finished their game they travelled south to Wiputa ..Fighting together, the two boys made their way to the table topped Mount Conner, on top of which their bodies are preserved as boulders" (Page 5)

Two other accounts are given in Norbert Brockman's (1997) Encyclopedia of Sacred Places.[11] The first tells of serpent beings who waged many wars around Uluru, scarring the rock. The second tells of two tribes of ancestral spirits who were invited to a feast, but were distracted by the beautiful Sleepy Lizard Women and did not show up. In response, the angry hosts sang evil into a mud sculpture that came to life as the dingo. There followed a great battle, which ended in the deaths of the leaders of both tribes. The earth itself rose up in grief at the bloodshed, becoming Uluru.

The Commonwealth Department of Environment's webpage advises:[9]
"Many .. Tjukurpa such as Kalaya (Emu), Liru (poisonous snake), Lungkata (blue tongue lizard), Luunpa (kingfisher) and Tjintir-tjintirpa (willie wagtail) travel through Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. Other Tjukurpa affect only one specific area.
"Kuniya, the woma python, lived in the rocks at Uluru where she fought the Liru, the poisonous snake."

It is sometimes reported that those who take rocks from the formation will be cursed and suffer misfortune. There have been many instances where people who removed such rocks attempted to mail them back to various agencies in an attempt to remove the perceived curse
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:36 pm

It's a rock.

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: