Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rd 12 : Frankston v Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prynny_22 Sagittarius

Out of Nicks BB Retirement

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

how did Justin berry play for frankston??

Local boy Smile
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:15 am

Lol, I used to work with a guy called Justin Berry. Not that common a name I would have thought.

This was the first VFL game I've ever been to. Stanley was great, took a big pack mark in the third quarter. Clarke strongly pushed his case for senior selection, as one would expect. Didn't see much of Barham, kind of surprised to see him in the best category.

Good to see DTM, anyway. And I got to shake hands with a rather bemused Chris Dawes and Scott Pendlebury. I never know what to say. Razz

kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:05 am

^Sure that ain't you in Prynny's av David? Smile
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 pm

lol, no. I usually wear clothes. Smile
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Just to follow up what's been said prior - very poor first half, we always looked the better side, but Frankston's intencity out did us early on. Their supporters help them, no doubt, because they share the same mentality. It's pretty easy to beat them, though. Their game plan is to turn it into a dogfight, and scrap all the way. We got three of the first four goals, and then skipped out to a four goal lead late in the second quarter, but two goals on the siren to Frankston kept them in touch.

Very narrow ground, which helped us play corridor football, and almost suited going out to the wings, in a sense, as it meant that players could run in a pack and sweep it forward in numbers.

Big final term, class prevailed as it always should, Frankston's heads dropped, and we stormed home. Handy 11-goal win.

Of the players:

Cox - solid, but not his best day, mostly off half back.

Corrie - Generally bobbed up whenever we went forward, mixed bag by foot, some good, some not so. That said, probably his most complete four quarter effort this year.

Clarke - really good. Showed a great attitude, attacked the footy, and plays through the corridor, which we really need (AFL and VFL). Wasn't the best in terms of dominating and taking the game apart, but more so in terms of consistency. Will be right up there next week for promotion (especially considering the Dogs pace).

Wood - solid. A step up from the last week or so. Admittedly, workmanlike opposition, but plays old fashioned footy (belts it out of the odd ruck contest, likes booting it down the line as opposed to finesse, etc). Not enough to be recalled (I don't think), but the formline's kicked up this week.

Reid - not the most prominent player, but that's not his job. Showing some real signs of maturity in his decision-making, some great closing speed helped with some spoils. Can note the difference between 12 months ago and now in terms of awareness. Disposal ok. No real spot for him in the seniors ATM, but good signs.

Sidebottom - slow-ish start, copped a poke in the eye in the second term, a few disposals went a little adrift, but fought back with a good, strong second half. Always thereabouts.

Johnson - his best match since returning from injury. Broke the lines early on, snapped a nice goal, laid some strong tackles, led well.

Blight - hasn't had a really bad match thus far, and always does one or two things which catch the eye and prove himself (in the mind of a supporter) that he'll make it. Reads the play ok.

Stanley - top three BOG, or thereabouts. Busy all day in middle and at half forward. Strong in the contested situations, etc. Fair to say he's mastered this level, in terms of playing consistent footy.

Cook - unobtrusive. Not his best game, but bobbed up here and there. Another who never has a bad game, per se, more so degrees of solid-good. Consistent, that's the word.

Dawes - one of his better matches. Presented well. Good in contests at ground level (second efforts). Rucked in second half. Rated Clarke, Barham and Stanley ahead of him in the best.

Rounds - easily his best match this year. Good ball use on either side. Run from half back, then played a bit at half forward/wing (I think). Should gain confidence from it. Tackled well.

Reed - not overly busy, but solid when in possession.

Bryan - same as each week from Bryan. Always a great contest, takes two defenders with him in every marking contest, second efforts good, had he held a few which came his way in the packs he may have had 4-5, but played well.

Dyas - pretty ok game, at his best in the second half. Looking to kick more and make more decisions for himself (self confidence rising), in that he's not making some good ground, but then dishing off to a stationary opponent beside him to take the kick.

Barham - one of his best matches for a while. Busy is the word to describe it. Took a real hanger on centre wing, went on some daring runs in the final quarter, and was a poor man's Swan, in a sense, as a linkman, running from mark to mark to act as the next link in the chain. Plenty to work with.

Keefe - much like Wood (improvement on previous weeks, but not awesome/worthy of getting in the best). But, 19-y-o, ruckman, skinny, no footballing background. He'll take time, but does enough to suggest he'll be ok.

Thoolen - did a few handy things in defence. Outmarked on a few occasions, but wasn't too bad.

Francis - I reckon he'll make it as an AFL player. Hard as nails, likes a scrap, good skills, wins his own footy, and tackles really well. Has the look in the eye of someone to whom the cause means something. Will make it, IMO.

Blair - not his best match, but still ok (IMO our best, overall, this year).

Pendlebury - made one or two mistakes by foot going into attack, but wasn't too bad.

Peverill - steadied the ship in the first half and kept things on track, solid second half.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 pm

outstanding review. Very insightful. Early signs for blight and rounds are they show enough to vindicte Hine's picks. Blight works hard enough and shows poise and skill. He is just a boy still and has huge upside. Watch out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: