Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

CAREY chooses Crows - it's official

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:35 am
Post subject: CAREY chooses Crows - it's officialReply with quote

See: http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=56011
quote:
Carey chooses the Crows
2:06:54 PM Mon 26 August, 2002
Paul Gough

The lure of a fresh start outside Victoria has resulted in Adelaide winning the battle for the services of former Kangaroos’ skipper Wayne Carey for next season.

While the Crows have yet to formally announce that they had secured Carey, focus now turns to whether the deal can be done with the Kangaroos.

Carey finally made his decision on where his playing future late on Monday morning.

Carey informed the other clubs that were bidding for his services that he had decided on Adelaide as his future home with Hawthorn – which was believed to be the leading contender amongst the Victorian clubs had Carey decided to stay in Melbourne – told of Carey’s decision this morning.

Hawks’ officials confirmed to afl.com.au that Carey had chosen Adelaide as his preferred club but praised the former champion forward for the way he conducted himself during the long negotiations.

“He was good with us,” said one Hawthorn official, who was central to the negotiations.

“We felt we had the inside running if he had opted to stay in Victoria but it wasn’t as if it was a choice just between us and Adelaide.”

“It was more the city of Melbourne as against the city of Adelaide and he just wanted to get out of the state.”

“He wanted a fresh start.’

Carey has been under intense media spotlight in Victoria ever since he quit the Roos’ in disgrace on the eve of the season after it was revealed he was having an affair with the wife of his then vice-captain and now Roos’ captain Anthony Stevens.

Since then he has been trying to repair his marriage to wife Sally while negotiating with several clubs for his services next year with the other frontrunners having been Sydney, Essendon and Collingwood as well as Hawthorn.

However the lure of a fresh start outside of Victoria plus the fact that Carey believes the Crows are a genuine chance to win a premiership within the three years he will sign with the club for, plus Adelaide’s shortage of key forwards were the key reasons behind the Crows’ success in luring Carey to South Australia.

Carey, who hails from Wagga in southern New South Wales, also played his junior football in Adelaide with SANFL club North Adelaide before joining North Melbourne in 1989.

However while the chance to make a fresh start was a key factor in his decision, Carey realises he will also be the focus of just as much attention in footy-mad South Australia where Crows’ fans in particular idolize their star players.

Former glamour spearhead Tony Modra, whose playing record pales into insignificance when compared to Carey’s, was referred to as “Godra” in the City of Churches after taking the AFL by storm with a century of goals and many spectacular marks in 1993.

And such was the constant attention Modra received in Adelaide that it eventually overwhelmed him and he left the Crows for Fremantle.

However the Crows will first have to strike a deal with the Kangaroos in the trading period, which will run from October 24 to 28, before they can officially claim Carey.

And the Roos have already stated that not only want a first round draft choice but also a current player of that quality in exchange for arguably the best player of the last 20 years.

Crows’ players that could be part of an exchange for Carey could include star wingman Kane Johnson, who was almost traded to Richmond at the end of last season in exchange for Ben Holland, and even high-flying forward Brett Burton given the Roos’ need for more goalkickers to ease the pressure on their spearhead Saverio Rocca.

However with Carey to turn 32 during next season, the Crows will face heavy criticism if they give up a prized first round pick for a player who last year was only a shadow of the player that totally dominated the competition throughout most of the 1990’s.

But with a year out of the game, Carey’s recent shoulder and groin problems will be fully healed and he is confident he can reclaim his place as one of the game’s best players.

In a decorated 244 game career with the Kangaroos, Carey captained the club to premierships in 1996 and 1999 with his contribution so great he was also named captain in the club’s team of the century.

He was also named in the All-Australian side on seven occasions – including four as captain and won four best and fairest awards at the Roos as well as being their leading goalkicker on five occasions.

But significantly in his final season with the Roos in 2001, Carey managed just 14 games and 35 goals for the season.

And apart from his injury-marred season of 1997, it was the first time he had not won the Roos’ goalkicking award since 1994, the first time he had not been named All-Australian since 1992 and the first time he had not figured in the Roos’ top three in their best and fairest award since 1991.

Broadie
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he does a shoulder in the pre-season.
Broadie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:01 am

Or perhaps an RSI elbow during a "non-binge" refreshment session....

Broadie
Millane42 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:08 am

WWWWWWHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO! Absolutely great news!

Is it true good things come in 3's?? First we beat the saints and cement a top 4 place. Secondly Carey is on his way to the Crows, What will be 3rd??? I heard L.Davis is up for tripping at the tribunal...will he get off?

"Grinners are Winners.."
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:22 am

Leon got done for tripping did he?

Geez ... I thought the whole team played like they were tripping.

Disclaimer: please don't take that seriously ... just a bit of hippy humour.
Murray 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:47 am

Spot on Alf, it was an insiped, pathetic effort. We were LUCKY to win. It was 4th playing 15th and we just fell over the line.
(This should get a few responses)

Only Collingwood people know what we feel - the rest will never understand.

Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:04 am

I heard on some radio station that he tripped him with his knee? It must of been a strange way coz my parents wouldn't shut up about how he could do that!

Omg i can still sing the carey is a wanker song! yayayayayayay! I say that at school all the time to people that piss me off!
Excuse my french everybody!

Vous etes jamais seule..... lolz!

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

'Oo, Someone 2 be kind 2, In between the dark & the lite,
Oo, Coming rite behind u, Swear I'm gonna find u,
One of these nights!
One of these nights- The Eagles'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
*Rach_luvs_Lonie* Aries

*~LiL bItTa CoUnTrY..LiL bItA mJ~*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:15 am

NOO DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!! ITS NO FAIR I WANTED CAREY!!
NOOO NONONONONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOO!! AWWWWWW!
luv Rach!!xoxox

*OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE AND THATS WOT ITS ALL ABOUT*

I am so smart..S M A T
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:17 am

Tend to agree Muzza. Dunno what is worse, limping into the finals or being put to the sword during them. Things could turn though, and i hope to God they do. Makes a mockery of the whole "Port Adelaide is preparing for meeting us in the finals" thing. Unless we can somehow turn back the clock to round 6 or so then its gonna be boom boom in the finals. And sh@t the second boom could be to the scum as well.

Is Molloy the answer? We'll see.

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:47 am

All I can say is, THANK CHRIST FOR THAT.....

Now we can all get on with life without the plethora of posts debating about whether Carey will be good for us or not.

TaZ_LuVs_EmIn3m Gemini

*~KeViN is GoRjOuZ~*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:15 pm

well yes things come in threes...

1: We cement 4th spot
2: No carey (although he could have been a great asset)
3: Leon Davis GOT OFF the charge was dropped....
lets hope that things now come in 6's

4:we win first round
5:then the prelim
6:Win the Grand final how sweet

catch ya later luv always tara

I LUV NICK DAVIS~YES I DO~HES 4 ME~AND~NOT 4 U~IF U TOUCH HIM~OR~TAKE MY PLACE~ILL GET MY FIST~AND~SMASH UR FACE~J/K LUV YA 2 BRODIE HOLLAND!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:47 pm

Now this is all over can we please get back to talking about finals etc.

I didn't care either way,if we got carey great,if we didn;t so what.I personally think it's a great move by carey,to move away from melbourne,thank god it wasn't to sydney.

Did anyone see the magic davies tripping charge? I didn't think you could be booked by tripping someone. Will he be free to play?

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
*2002 Joint V.C*

[This message has been edited by molloymagic (edited 26 August 2002).]
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:03 pm

GOOD RIDDANCE! Now we can finally forget about the horrid C word!!!

Look forward to playing the Crows next year - I'm sure all Pie supporters will let him know just how much he was missed this year!!!!!!

GO PIES!
Marg

clokeforever34 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:46 pm

im with doctor alf on this one now! stuff him, going to scum town is the worst decision he will eva make. i hope he rots in hell!!!! HOW DARE HE DIS-RESPECT COLLINGWOOD!!!

"my religion is footy and my church is collingwood"

Mcgoughs_gurl 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:50 pm

DAMMIT DAMMIT!!! i wanted CAREY!

~**Mcgoughs_gurl**~
jk- i have come to the conclusion that i would like to marry McGough only thing is that i dont think he'd want me dammit! haha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: